Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:17 pm 
All Star
All Star

The way I see it, if I could get a million dollars for teaching I'd take it. If someone offered me a million dollars I'd take it. I'm also sure these players are the best in the world at what they do.
If I were an owner, I would try to get the best players I could and reasonably balance the leger.
What I don't understand is the everyday working person shelling out good hard earned money to see these folks. Not me. Won't happen. If no one went to the parks or watched it on TV, the day of the "million dollar baby" would be history.
In a more humbling note. People pay the same or more to go to so called concerts, to hear what passes itself off as music. In the process being witness to these folks use profane & abusive language. Again, I don't blame the performer, I blame the consumer and taxpayers.......Thank you, Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:11 am 
All Star
All Star

Like Jerry Seinfeld says : "you're just cheering for shirts".

I find a lot of truth in that, having grown up a Cubs fan. back in the day we had Ernie, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, etc...........

Now, while I DO know who is on the team, I usually don't expect them to spend their entire careers here on my team.

Post subject: Re: Just a rant!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

DCImonkey wrote:
As I watch the television and let this whole baseball thing sink in.... I cannot help but think of how good we have it. With all the talk about how drumcorps is dying, or not as popular as it has been, I guarantee that you'll never see drumcorps go on strike and leave its fans who support the activity with no pasttime to support. NOT only is it in poor taste to strike and let your fans down, but right now this country needs something wholly American such as baseball. It is a crime what these millionnaire players and millionnaire owners are doing to such a wonderful icon of Americana.

Thank god for drumcorps!

The reason baseball's not the #1 pasttime is because it takes too long to play and it's boring. And this is coming from a person who played baseball as a kid. Football is a game that is built for today's audience. Fast paced and hard hitting.

As for baseball striking, I'm like this. How many times has baseball went on strike and how many times has people said it will never recover? Yet each time it does. MLB has people who can market the hell out of their sport and for evry person who says they won't go to the games, they find thousands more who will. People don't want to watch Seattle Mariner games? They go out and sign Ichiro and now Japan stays up until the early morning to watch Mariner games. But those fans that do stop going, they have alternatives in the minor league system they can go to. If I don't like the Braves, then I go to Rome, GA and watch the Rome Braves play.

But at least with major league sports, there are a number of alternatives to look to, drum corps, on the other hand, is a niche activity within a niche activity. When some people say they will no longer go to drum corps shows, they stop going period. Regardless of whether they meant D1 and not D2/3 or DCA. And if there's anybody who CAN'T afford to lose customers it's DCI.

Contra Bass 89

Post subject: Re: thank god fro drum corps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:54 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

agdrummer_maine wrote:
hey we are not getting paid for this by anymeans so sports are so spoiled in that respect its not funny drum corps is about the love of it not the money
i agree, they should make a baseball league and not pay them, so they can do it for the love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Lol you make a good point man lol theye paying too much.. give all the money to DRum corps lol...jk

Profile E-mail