Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a rant!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:09 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

As I watch the television and let this whole baseball thing sink in.... I cannot help but think of how good we have it. With all the talk about how drumcorps is dying, or not as popular as it has been, I guarantee that you'll never see drumcorps go on strike and leave its fans who support the activity with no pasttime to support. NOT only is it in poor taste to strike and let your fans down, but right now this country needs something wholly American such as baseball. It is a crime what these millionnaire players and millionnaire owners are doing to such a wonderful icon of Americana.

Thank god for drumcorps!

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

You're right. I'm no baseball fan, never have been. But, I venture to say that baseball ceased to be America's pastime a long time ago because of issues like this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:06 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Bring back the days when the major league baseball players played for fun and not so much for the money!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:21 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Maybe if baseball players were as dedicated to their sport as drum corp members are to their activity (after all, drum corps participants PAY to be in it), one might see a different attitude. Of course, then you might see a whole different breed of player! Then again, adults DO have to get paid something when they have an occupation.......... Perhaps the fear of how "how long will I physically be able to be a contender?" plays into the baseball players greed for more and more money.

The big difference is that drum corps members accumulate memories and baseball players accumulate money!

Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:34 am 
All Star
All Star

Esther wrote:
Maybe if baseball players were as dedicated to their sport as drum corp members are to their activity (after all, drum corps participants PAY to be in it), one might see a different attitude. Of course, then you might see a whole different breed of player! Then again, adults DO have to get paid something when they have an occupation.......... Perhaps the fear of how "how long will I physically be able to be a contender?" plays into the baseball players greed for more and more money.

The big difference is that drum corps members accumulate memories and baseball players accumulate money!

Remember though that the majority of these players were also paid to go to college and get an education. I would hope a lot of them have degrees and skills beyond the baseball field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:53 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:

Remember though that the majority of these players were also paid to go to college and get an education. I would hope a lot of them have degrees and skills beyond the baseball field.

Here....here! I'll drink to that! :cheers:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:44 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

Malibu wrote:
TXMystreaux wrote:

Here....here! I'll drink to that! :cheers:

In basketball and football, this is largely true...
In baseball, however, most of the better players pass on the educational opportunity for the instant bucks...
There are notable exceptions, but most pro baseball players are not college educated...
In fact, many of the foreign players (a very large %age of the total players) lack even the equivalent of a high school education...
Draw whatever conclusions you may...

(I do not have a favorite drum corps, but I have been a St.Louis Cardinals fan since before I ever heard of drum corps! Go Redbirds! :D )

The "National Pastime" recovered from the last strike only as a result of the home run races between Mark Maguire and that Sammy guy with the Chicago Scrubs.
Maguire is retired & any other homer derby has much less interest than the one with the Chicago-St.Louis connection.
What would save the players & owners from the stupidity of another strike or lockout? :roll:

Well, maybe if they drive more fans away from baseball, some of the disaffected might find drum corps... :wink:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

<--- HUGE baseball fan. Go Padres! :oops:

Baseball had it's first big shake up in (ironically) 1972. So I guess MLB and DCI have something in common there. 1972 was when the players realized they were getting stomped by the owners. 1972 was also when the players got the upper hand, and they have come out on top in all 8 successive strikes since then.

They need to realize where they sit in this post-9/11 America. I, too, had been to a hundred baseball games before I saw my first drum corps show. But if the players and owners are so stupid as to actually allow a strike to happen, baseball is over. Oh sure, there will be fans that come back, but baseball will become a second tier sport like Arena Football or the WNBA, and attendance will be ravaged.

Baseball needs to realize that they are not in a position to recover from a strike. Last time you had the McGwire/Sosa home-run race, and a three decade old record falling by the wayside. You also had a strong economy on the upswing. Today, the home-run record is old hat and gets broken seemingly every other week by some guy in his first year out of AAA. The economy's in the crapper and struggling to keep it's head above water. And of course, 9/11 altered the way many people view things.

The USA simply has absolutely 0 sympathy or tolerance for a group of people trying to decide how to split $200,000,000,000; especially when the minimum wage for those people is escalating from $200,000 a year (2002) to $300,000 a year (2003). That's the minimum wage in baseball, folks.

Anyways... yeah, no strike. OR ELSE. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:56 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
Bring back the days when the major league baseball players played for fun and not so much for the money!

I was driven away from MLB by the last strike. For years, my wife had been complaining about what a boring sport baseball was and all the time I wasted watching it. With the last strike, I realized she was right, and pay no attention to it now. But if you still find baseball entertaining when it's played more for fun than money, go see minor league baseball. The bang for the buck is much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

You're right, Wasabi! We have a Pittsburgh Pirates minor league team called the Hickory Crawdads, and they have enjoyed a modicum of success (only one bad season). There isn't a bad seat in the "stadium," and it makes for a inexpensive night out.

Major leaguers, owners and players, can BITE ME! They are nothing but a bunch of crybabies. Two million dollars a year-how many players never get to the big game? Thank God it's almost football season!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Baseball been berry, berry bad to me!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I used to be a huge baseball fan. Big time Detroit Tiger fan. Saw the World Series Wins in 68 and 84. Saw Jack Morris pitch a no-hitter at Comisky Park live in May of 84. Saw Frank Tanana pitch a 1 hitter live to clinch on the last day of the season - (god, how I hate those Twins :wink: ) My defination of a good Sunday afternoon was a few cold ones and the Tigers on TV. I went to a lot of Tiger games live. Then the STRIKE!!! Haven't watched, listened. or seen a game live since. Don't even read about it if I can avoid it. So I really don't care what the spoiled crybaby millionaire players or the assinine billionaire owners who put themselves in this very situation do. (Afterall, if somebody offered you several million dollars a year to do what you do would you turn it down?) So strike away lads! I see only positives such as the Tigers season mercifully ends, baseball goes to hell in a handbasket and MLB won't clutter the airwaves for more important things like Football and Hockey! Go Wings!

B(b)Shetts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:12 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Go....Twins..!!!!!!!!!
hehehehehe.... :twisted:

Produced "The First 60 Years" Madison Scouts Video

"When News Breaks, We Fix It!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:05 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Ok Robert, the tickets were great but now your pushing it!!! :lol:

B(b)
Brian

Post subject: Sports memories in Boston in 1986
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I had the pleasure of being in Boston in 1986 when the red sox got to the World Series (have they got there since?). I stayed in Mass. post-DCI through to about November. We played at Fenway Park for a play off game against a californian team (I had to learn Californian dreamin' for that one show) and we played at one of the World Series games. I was the only out-of-stater and I think we only had about 20-odd brass.

I had been to my first baseball game earlier that year. Fenway park, Red sox vs the Minnesota Twins (I think) - it would have been around May/June 86 if anyone wants to check! We got there late and the game had already started. As we walked to our seats the place went crazy and someone told me that the Red sox had just hit a home run with all bases loaded. I said something like: Is that good?

The Celtics were on a roll and the Bruins and Patriots were doing pretty well too that year. New England sports fans were happy.

Post subject: thank god fro drum corps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hey we are not getting paid for this by anymeans so sports are so spoiled in that respect its not funny drum corps is about the love of it not the money

Profile E-mail