The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not even still photos allowed this year!! Bad Policy!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:20 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Some information from any of you who may know - why has DCI forbidden the taking of still photos during the performances at the drum corps shows this year? I can see no good reason for this and would like someone with some some clout to fight this ruling and get it reversed. We are only getting to see our 2 sons in the Blue Stars a couple of times this year, and on a very quick, very short visit to see them in the show in Menomonie, WI we learned we could not even take still photos in the stadium. I can understand the prohibition against audio and video recording due to copyright laws, but the rule against still photography hurts no one, as far as I can tell. If DCI were hiring professional photographers and then selling the photos themselves, I could see where they might not want the competition. But they are not doing so. There are lots of grandparents and other family members who really enjoy getting to see their family corps people in the pictures we email to them. Somebody, please help!! Get this changed!

Post subject: Re: Not even still photos allowed this year!! Bad Policy!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:25 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

team mom wrote:
If DCI were hiring professional photographers and then selling the photos themselves, I could see where they might not want the competition. But they are not doing so.

Yes, they are -- or more accurately, they will be, but not until later in the season. You'll be able to purchase field-level photos later on.

Years ago, DCI wasn't super-stringent about cameras, but they started cracking down even while I was still marching.

With photos (essentially still recordings), just like audio & video recordings, DCI's got any copyright issues worked out with the corps, photographers, and original copyright holders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:56 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

For those of us who cannot attend very many of the drum corps shows, being told that photos will be taken "later" is not good enough. We will only get to see our kids one more time this year, and it won't be at a show that MATTERS enough to DCI to take photos at. I repeat again, you are hurting the families that have cared enough to help support their younger family members who march in corps. You are all so busy protecting your "rights," you are driving enthusiasm for drum corps right into the ground. Shame on you. I reiterate - "BAD POLICY!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:41 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Blame ASCAP and the photographers, not DCI.

DCI got burned in the past because of corps that didn't get proper performance rights to the music they played, and they're not going to let themselves get even close to the same situation again.

Same thing with other media. If DCI wants to keep its pro photographers, videographers, and audio recorders, then DCI has to play by their rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:34 pm 
Director
Director

Put your camera in your purse and get it inside the gate. Nobody in the stands will stop you from taking photos. They just try to discourage people in an effort to make the professional photographers happy. Even the pros don't really expect all other camera to go away. Last year at one small show, I sat right in front of the judges booth, chatted with a DCI official, and during this whole time I was video taping the performances, openly with a large video camera on a tripod. And guess what... nobody said a thing to me about it. Their bark is worse than their bite.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

ALTHOUGH, at San Antonio last year, they searched purses for camera. I had a small disposable in my purse, and they would not let me take it in. Another guy in our group had his camera in his pocket, and they didn't catch that one. Depending on the venues, you might have to be creative about smuggling it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:28 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

This is the first I've heard of the rule. We are very disappointed about it. :x Taking still pictures is the way we add new memories to family albums. I could understand if we were in competition w/ the pros. Their picts may be good quality but are not the same as the candid shots taken by parents.

Disappointed in Wyoming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:06 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yeah this past Thursday at a show, there were signs posted warning you not to bring in cameras or audio equipment.....BUT that didn't stop the many cameras I saw people with......boldly taking pictures. Honestly, I don't see how this hurts.....if anything it would help promote the activity and a good way for keeping record of corps in the future. Just think of all those pictures in the Drum Corps History Book.....sure most were probably professional, but I'm sure there were some that were just proud Moms & Pops.
I'm glad the ruling wasn't as stiff back in my day!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:13 am 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

Bandmaster wrote:
Put your camera in your purse and get it inside the gate. Nobody in the stands will stop you from taking photos. They just try to discourage people in an effort to make the professional photographers happy. Even the pros don't really expect all other camera to go away. Last year at one small show, I sat right in front of the judges booth, chatted with a DCI official, and during this whole time I was video taping the performances, openly with a large video camera on a tripod. And guess what... nobody said a thing to me about it. Their bark is worse than their bite.

Oh, Dave!!! :shock:
You naughty, naughty boy!!! :^^:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quote:
Some information from any of you who may know - why has DCI forbidden the taking of still photos during the performances at the drum corps shows this year? I can see no good reason for this and would like someone with some some clout to fight this ruling and get it reversed. We are only getting to see our 2 sons in the Blue Stars a couple of times this year, and on a very quick, very short visit to see them in the show in Menomonie, WI we learned we could not even take still photos in the stadium. I can understand the prohibition against audio and video recording due to copyright laws, but the rule against still photography hurts no one, as far as I can tell. If DCI were hiring professional photographers and then selling the photos themselves, I could see where they might not want the competition. But they are not doing so. There are lots of grandparents and other family members who really enjoy getting to see their family corps people in the pictures we email to them. Somebody, please help!! Get this changed!

I've never heard of this before. Since I started marching in 90 and every show I've been to since DCI has always allowed cameras in. They just don't want any audio or video recording devices.

On the dci.org front page they have a link for what was allowed/not allowed at the Citrus bowl. Cameras are ok!

Maybe a specific show host said no to cameras and dci had to go along with them at that one show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:58 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Just to let you guys know, I took my camera in and when they searched my purse they saw it and said nothing.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail