PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I took my family away for the weekend.

My kids ages are 11-10-8-6

Friday 6 tickets to the Cincinnati Reds/ Pittsburgh Pirates game $54.00

Hotel room Friday night $80.00 in Covington, KY

Sat. afternoon 6 tickets to the Louisville Slugger Museum & bat Factory $28.00

Hotel room Saturday night $68.00 (DCI rate at Executive Inn)

Cheapest Tickets at DCI show $18.00 x 6=$108.00

I can go watch a professional baseball game where the playeres are making millions for half of the price of a drum corps show with amateur musicians.

I told the lady at the ticket booth that we sit away from the crowd because we don't want to distract the rest of the paying customers, but she said that is the least expensive ticket.

I'm I the only one that is bugged by DCI for not having cheap corner seats? We ended up sitting on the goal line away from the crowd anyway.

Also, we went to the Earth Wind and Fire/ Chicago concert last week for $18.00 a ticket.

I want my family to be exposed to this activity but I think the tickets are overpriced for families.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to pay $25.00 for a seats in the center, I just think the need to have a "cheap seat" plan for folks like us that are trying to keep the kids away from the die hard fans.

O.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

You have a valid concern OS, but the prices may be a supply and demand issue. Those running a contest get only one nights worth of admission and I imagine none of these contests are SRO.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:44 pm 
All Star
All Star

It's a good point. I think the seats are priced too high in the really big stadiums that don't sell out, and corner seats could be sold much cheaper ($9 for families or groups-- why not?) to at least raise some revenue and still give kids an opportunity to go. In smaller local shows, no, I agree with Dan, especially if they can sell out most of Pigkisser High School stadium at a minimum ticket price of $18 each, they should go for it. The per-ticket-sold cost of getting a show's worth of seven drum corps to a city is way higher than the similar cost for one baseball team-- not talking lodging or salaries here, just transportation. Baseball teams also get revenue from TV rights, beer sales, etc. that drum corps don't. And baseball is much cheaper than football, basketball, or hockey at the box office, anyway, because supply & demand with 81 game seasons in each city favors the fans more than drum corps or other major pro sports can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I paid $25 for seats on the 45... but i was literally 20-25 feet from the DM podium, so i had little idea of what was happening drill-wise. Yeah it's nice to have a 90 piece hornline blowing my ears off ( courtesy of madison scouts), but it defeats the purpose of a high priced ticket when your so close to the field you can hardly see what formations the corps is making.

Yeah, i know my post didn't really have much to do with the host thread, but it is a "self-therapy" room, and it remotely dealt with O.S's topic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:53 am 
All Star
All Star

1stsop-prod, I think you're right on topic-- and welcome to Sound Machine-- I hope you'll post more-- and I HEAR you loud and clear down low on the 45--you didn't think your $25 VIP seats were a good value. But tell me this... were all the seats around you sold out? If they were, then the show sponsor set the price correctly. Those seats may not have been a good value to you, and that's a perfectly valid view, but ticket prices should reflect supply and demand. If people will pay it, the corps and show sponsors are entitled to it. Otherwise, you set up a black market situation and other people reap most of the profit. I remember that much from Econ101 in college. Ideally, you should be told when ordering VIP seating in particular what you'll be getting ("Is row 3 on the 45 OK?") for your extra money, but in reality that's hard to do except for walk-up orders.

It always amazes me to see how many people want to be right up front in a drum corps show, to the point of sustaining hearing damage ($75 at finals). I like to be fairly close, even in a big stadium. Row 20 of the lower deck's about ideal for me. Many people here like to be higher up, some much higher, so they can clearly see the flow of the drill. But row 3 on the 45 in most stadiums, yeah, you can't see a thing, and the sound can be too much even for me.

Post subject: seats
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:26 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I understand the whole supply and demand, because they wouldn't be hosting an event if they didn't earm a profit. For me, to be 3 rows away from a $15 dollar seat, and have no more of an idea what was happening on the field than the guy three rows below , it's ridiculous. I guess i feel a bit deceived to be told i have a "very important person" seat ( I am aware that is just an expression they use), and not get a very important person view. They said the show was sold out, but i could see a few seats in the VIP that were empty most of the time, and we considered moving there, but once again, my over-active conscience kicked in.

To be honest, to know I would be higher up in the stands, i would probabably be willing to pay $5 more, maybe 10 if there was another big corps there. I expected the stadium to be a good bit smaller than the Citrus Bowl, but it was alot smaller than i thought. So, that lead me to believe even if i was at the bottom row of the VIP seating, i would still have a decent view.

It would also be great if they did the "pick and choose" seating option, instead of hearing "You have been designated the next best seat for the Show". Then again, if people knew how close they would be sitting if they bought a $25 dollar ticket, when they could be farther away from the 50, but still have a good view of the performance for $15, the sponsor and stadium wouldn't make quite as much money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:02 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yeah. I'm not trying to say your concerns are invalid. But it's a reality of the way all venues price tickets that most places big enough to have some seats that are much better than others draw lines in the seating area and charge more for the seats perceived to be better. But of course, those lines are arbitrary and the people who are one or a few rows in front of the line or closer to the center are likely to have to pay more but aren't likely to feel the price difference was really worth it. Given the choice, they'd say, give me back my ten bucks and I'll move a seat over or back, whatever it takes to cross the arbitrary line. If you think you got hosed... In Chicago, the opera, the symphony, major theaters offer subscription series of five to ten events, and the price difference for being one row closer to the stage can be hundreds of dollars per seat. Just the way it goes, I guess. If you want to do that show next year, try to figure out how they put tickets up for sale. If Spirit JSU sells the tickets, it may help to get on their mailing list, order tickets as soon as they go on sale, and ask (nicely), with a knowledge of how many rows there are, for about where you'd like to be, such as "Please, if possible, about rows 15-25." This often works. But you have to order early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I was thinking the same thing after I posted, "If they give seats out from best to last, then it would come to conclusion to buy early for the best seats.", and I realized after my post I didn't look like the brightest crayon in the box :oops: . I did buy the tickets a bit late (about 2 weeks before the show), then again i had no idea if I could go. Fortunately, I've learned something... DCI is too precious to waste time with. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:06 am 
All Star
All Star

1stsoprano_prodigy wrote:
... I realized after my post I didn't look like the brightest crayon in the box :oops:...

You don't come across that way at all. You come across as someone who's just starting to really get into drum corps and feel a burning passion for it, and is just beginning to learn the system. That's something just about everyone who frequents this board went through at some point. Within another few years, budget and life circumstances permitting, you'll probably be planning drum corps related travel in the winter and spring, and figuring out how you can be where corps will be. And you know what... you'll look back on this Jacksonville show you just went to, and probably feel it was worth every penny. Even though you couldn't see much, you'll never forget that sound and how much it thrilled you. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

Resume Hut wrote:
[And you know what... you'll look back on this Jacksonville show you just went to, and probably feel it was worth every penny. Even though you couldn't see much, you'll never forget that sound and how much it thrilled you. [/i]

Amen to that! Waaay back when I was 18 I saw a great show in Milwaukee at the Wisconsin State Fair. Kilts, Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, Anaheim, and a slug of other good corps I can't remember. Dumbest "seating arrangement" I ever saw. The show was held in the infield of the race track, and a cyclone fence surrounded the football field. I and several hundred other spectators paid for the privilege of STANDING alongside the fence to watch the show! No few of the pictures at all. But, I did have a judge's view of the performance, and it was a valuable experience. I got to hear the horn lines, warts and all. A lot of dirt never makes it up into the stands. The same goes for the percussion.

Would I want that arrangement again - certainly not. But I was able to get something out of it.

BTW, welcome to Sound Machine, Mr. Prodigy. You are a Mr., aren't you?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I have noticed since 'the season' started, i began to loose sleep thinking about drum corps. From little things to if/when i should audition for a corps and how am I going to get the finances to get into one ( I can see the smirk on my dad's face when i ask to 'borrow $500').
I also surely hope I'm not complaining about the show. I loved the show, i just really wanted more bang for my buck. But all that aside, the absolute greatest experience, was when me and my friend went into a Wendy's to get a double classic bacon with extra cheese, pickles and ketchup (mmm :D 8-) ). When we walked in, there was a heard of Blue devils, some i recognized from the '03 DVD, and some with corps jackets on. I almost died on the spot, instead, i began to hyperventalate ( I hope i spelled that correctly), and tree (the friend) had to take my outside to calm me down. After i regained sanity, I got back in the terribly backed up line, and stared straight at Dave Thomas so i wouldn't laugh myself into a fit (I was in temporary heaven).

During this wait, i was talked to, by 3 BLUE DEVILS!!! All tree shook my hand, and talked to me, and i was on such an emormus high, i get sweaty and giddy just writing this.

But days later, in an IM chat, me and tree discussed why i acted like that, and she said they were normal people. She even said I looked like ' that genie from that old TV show where she was wanting to please her master "(I think it's the one when she head bangs, and people disappear)"... staring at him like he was a king" how embarrasing, to know i lost it like that :oops: !! The Devils were just ordinary people who were crowding up the line to the older people behind us, yet I totally spased when i saw all those Devils. I wish i had acted like I had thought i would... kool. Instead, i looked like a basket case with bad sunburn.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:50 am 
All Star
All Star

Yup. You've got it bad, and that ain't good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

I think a good alternative is that if you have any local shows in the area, take the family to those.

Here in Illinois, there is a show in Oswego that only charges $12 a ticket. I agree that taking a family to DCI finals could be a mortgage payment.

If you have a Div.2/3 in the area, usually you can get a ticket for $8 to $10. I used to enjoy going to those shows but I just don't get to them anymore now that the boy is in Div.1.

Post subject: ticket prices
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 pm 
All Star
All Star

As the risk of sounding igorant, which in this case is probably true, what do the corps get for their involvement in each show. Percentage, fixed rate or some combination?...................Billl

Post subject: Re: ticket prices
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:18 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Blurae1 wrote:
As the risk of sounding igorant, which in this case is probably true, what do the corps get for their involvement in each show. Percentage, fixed rate or some combination?...................Billl

Corps do get a percentage of that fee based on where they placed the year before. If you are a top 12 corps, you'll get more than a non finalist. If you are in the top 3, you'll get much more than the bottom 9. It's not much, but helps pay for gas and food expenses.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail