Where is Drum Corps headed????

Vent all your frustrations about the drum corps activity and propose your solutions

Moderator: The Moderating Team

srmumz
New Recruit
New Recruit

Where is Drum Corps headed????

Post by srmumz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:24 pm

I see light shows, guest performers, corporate sponsorships displayed on uniforms and stuff like " And now from Santa Clara California, the Yahoo Vanguard" (just kidding SCV I figured I'd give you a "free" plug)

What do you think????????
'77-'78 Anaheim Kingsmen Contra

Bluebob
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bluebob » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:31 pm

Yer probably not too far off the mark there......................... :!:
Bob Brady
Spawn of a Maumee Demon
Glassmen 69-81(soprano/mellophone)
06/07 Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps(guest-mellophone)

EmeraldDirector
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EmeraldDirector » Sun May 01, 2005 7:35 pm

srmumz
I see light shows, guest performers, corporate sponsorships displayed on uniforms and stuff like " And now from Santa Clara California, the Yahoo Vanguard" (just kidding SCV I figured I'd give you a "free" plug)

What actually is all this kind of things is going to benefit the corps or what. I think in a way its good. But with all this will there never be any differents between it or what.

:wink: :lol: 8-) :P :D
Elizabeth Ortiz

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Jim Welling
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jim Welling » Tue May 03, 2005 4:53 am

I see Corps in the near future with programs that are of ever higher technical merit with levels of difficulty that surpass all prior water marks!
Perfofmances by incredibly talented participants, at the best of their ability, while having the time of their lives!
F.Zappa "'Conducting' is when you draw `designs' in the nowhere -- with your stick, or with your hands -- which are interpreted as `instructional messages' by guys wearing bow ties who wish they were fishing."

Bluebob
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bluebob » Tue May 03, 2005 5:45 am

FohiPitInstructor wrote:

srmumz

What actually is all this kind of things is going to benefit the corps or what. I think in a way its good. But with all this will there never be any differents between it or what.

:wink: :lol: 8-) :P :D
:shock: :?:
Bob Brady
Spawn of a Maumee Demon

Kimberly
All Star
All Star

Post by Kimberly » Tue May 03, 2005 7:46 am

Well, Bluebob, other corps have been sponsored over the years, like the Cavaliers and Suncoast Sound..........

Bluebob
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bluebob » Tue May 03, 2005 8:14 am

Oh, very true!!
Even back in my day corps had corporate sponsorship. MY corps did.
It was just rarely advertised on the field.
Bob Brady
Spawn of a Maumee Demon

Maggie
Soloist
Soloist

Post by Maggie » Tue May 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Yup, and don't forget the "First Federal" Blue Stars!
Maggie
SCV '70-'75..SCVAC '02..SCV-TOR Corps '04
"Souvie Lady" Spokane Thunder '07,'08

If DCI won't do it, then WE have to do it...
Support Open Class Corps!!

LAMystreaux
All Star
All Star

Post by LAMystreaux » Tue May 03, 2005 8:54 pm

Sponsors donating money or instruments, etc. wanna see something out of it. It does not sound like a big deal.
Just because your hate is masked by "free thinking" or being "open-minded" does not make it right.

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Wed May 04, 2005 4:57 am

I once heard back in 1978, Phantom Regiment was sponsored by the Shell Oil Company......that was the reason for their yellow "Shell" flags they used that year.
In '78 Crossmen was sponsored by Whirlpool.....they have also been sponsored by many drum companies and the Bank of Philly.
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

abalone
Soloist
Soloist

Post by abalone » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:24 am

Actually, I think the Yahoo! Impulse! would be a better use of exclamation point synergies :lol:

Let's not forget about the Star of Indiana. Didn't Bill Cook once say that he initially expected all drum corps to be sponsored by companies within a decade of Star's debut?

The thing I would be most concerned about with corporate sponsorship is whether the relationship had some kind of long-term guarantee. Imagine what would happen to the Hoover Bluecoats (yes, Hoover is a Canton company!) if Hoover sponsored the Coats for five years and then pulled the plug. The Bluecoats would have just enough time on corporate money to let the other sources dry up. (Who wants to put all that energy into running a Bingo hall if you have corporate sponsorship?) Then they would have to either fold or scramble to find a new sponsor.

But really, is there enough potential return to a corporate sponsor? I think the answer, with the exception of obviously related companies such as Yamaha, is that there is not. Shell Oil can get a lot more bang for its buck by donating to other organizations. Bingo doesn't rely heavily on the fact that it is Drum Corps Bingo. Many (most?) of the patrons care only that it is bingo. Even the Star Group didn't use its drum corps connections to increase business. Do you think the Star Bus Company sold tickets by appealing to passengers to "ride on the official bus line of the Star of Indiana?"

On the other hand, as bingo becomes increasingly vulnerable to competition from other gambling outlets, drum corps will have to find new business models, and some limited form of sponsorship will almost certainly be part of the answer.

How does YEA! raise money? I think I read somewhere that they don't have bingo. Is USSBA a money machine?

Are there other new models that corps are experimenting successfully with?
"Sounds like a bunch 'abalone' to me." --Brian T.

Kingpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kingpin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:06 pm

The thing that really needs to be looked at is why are the D2/3 corps not able to fund themselves today? Besides Fever and Memphis needing help to cover fuel costs, there is a large number of D3 corps that have dropped off the map the past few years and practically, no new D2 corps. But amazingly, on the other hand, DCA seems to be going through a growth spurt. Just what are they doing right that D2/3 needs to mimic?

Corporate sponsorship is great for those that get it. But I would like to see a better financial model put in place for the smaller divisions as well.
Emerald Knights
Cedar Rapids, IA
Baritone 87-88
Contra Bass 89