Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March DCI until 25???
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:03 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

So how do you guys feel about the proposed age-out bump up to 25 years old?

To be honest, I would have loved to had at least one more year under my belt.....but to raise the limit to 25 makes no sense. Heck, I was 25 when I got married! I feel like if members want to march after they age out....then "All Age Corps" is the route they should go. You can still get a job, continue school and only give up your weekends to pursue drum corps.
I would think by 22, most people want to "move on" with their lives.

I just can't imagine where I would be today had the limit been 25 back then. :shock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:23 am 
All Star
All Star

It's 22 now, isn't it? 22 makes sense to me, four years after high school. If it's raised to 25, you're going to have people who should be moving on with their lives sticking in drum corps because it's what they love best. Free will, free choice, I know... we shouldn't pass rules just to protect people from themselves. Nonetheless, I still wouldn't argue or vote for it. Also, corps staffs now have some headaches mixing older and younger corps members whose heads are in very different places. That would be even more of an issue mixing high schoolers with college grads. If they are going to pass it, it should be phased in slowly, adding one year of eligible age every other year or so to prevent a very sudden shift in corps demographics. Every spot a 24 year old takes is one less spot for a 17 year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:01 am 
All Star
All Star

First, I think you should move this discussion to the main room so you would get more feed back.

Secondly, I don't think they should raise the age. This is an activity for high school and college age people. I think it should stay this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:09 am 
All Star
All Star

If you had a sixteen-year old daughter, would you let her go on tour with a bunch of 22 to 25-year old guys?

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:25 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

xsabers wrote:
If you had a sixteen-year old daughter, would you let her go on tour with a bunch of 22 to 25-year old guys?

Good point.....it's bad enough with the 19-22 year old guys....but 25 to me seems too "experienced."

I don't want to see another age out year raised, even it's only to 23. Sorry, but we had to go on with our lives after 21. Like I said before, if they love drum corps so much, then they can join an "all age corps." Note, I didn't say "Senior Corps" as I think that gives DCA a bad rap.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:27 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

chadwick wrote:
First, I think you should move this discussion to the main room so you would get more feed back.

Secondly, I don't think they should raise the age. This is an activity for high school and college age people. I think it should stay this way.

I purposely posted it here because this is a thread about "venting"......which I did and feel a little better about it. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:47 pm 
All Star
All Star

That's what DCA is for. People travel to march in DCI, they can do the same with DCA. Also, many parents might cut off the money spigot.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Malibu

To be honest, I would have loved to had at least one more year under my belt.....but to raise the limit to 25 makes no sense. Heck, I was 25 when I got married! I feel like if members want to march after they age out....then "All Age Corps" is the route they should go. You can still get a job, continue school and only give up your weekends to pursue drum corps.

I just can't imagine where I would be today had the limit been 25 back then.

I dont believe that the age limit for DCI Corps should even be consider to increase to age 25! By then you would consider most of them already marching in a all-age corps like DCA or etc. They should leave it at age of 22 and let more talented players got a chance to march in DCI Corps.

:!: :P 8-) :lol:

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject: God I hope so
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:52 am 
All Star
All Star

You'd have to be nuts to continuing financing a drum corps career for a 25 year old.

JMHO, of course.

Dan Kelly wrote:
That's what DCA is for. People travel to march in DCI, they can do the same with DCA. Also, many parents might cut off the money spigot.
Dan Kelly

Post subject: Re: March DCI until 25???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:40 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Malibu wrote:

I just can't imagine where I would be today had the limit been 25 back then. :shock:

Living in your mom's basement telling her you'll find a job tomorrow?

Post subject: Re: March DCI until 25???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

JBL wrote:
Malibu wrote:

Living in your mom's basement telling her you'll find a job tomorrow?

Exactly. And it sounds exactly like one drum corps bum I know of. Not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hmm. If the age was raised to twenty five, initially there would be less places for kids in high school to join. However, it could lead to the creation of more drum corps. I know its financially more complicated than that, and I do agree with keeping age out on 22nd birthday as just fine.

BUT BACK IN MY DAY, makingnthe top 25 was not a given in division 1. Now there arebnt even 25 division one corps activiely touring. Damn shame!

Post subject: age is good
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

for sum of us just joining at age 18 there wasnt a chance to march other than spartans in maine and thats in nh so i agree with the age change because i dont want to give it up its something i love to do and dont wanna put my snare down check us out startin up www.atlanticguardian.org

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: age is good
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:27 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

agdrummer_maine wrote:
...check us out startin up www.atlanticguardian.org

Most of us...
Who've been around the Sound Machine...
For any length of time... :wav:
Are quite aware of [url=atlanticguardian.org]Atlantic Guardian[/url]... :D
Founder/head honcho/chief cookandbottlewasher Jim Alberty... :mrgreen:
(One of the regulars :jester: :^^: :pharoah: :viking: :blonde: :clwn: 8-) :dunce: :read: :nenr: around this place... )
Has kept us well apprised...
Of the corps' journey...
From just-a-dream to on-the-streets... :bow:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 25
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:55 am 
All Star
All Star

I understand why people want to do this till 25. It won't work. Do senior corps, although I've seen some 16 year olds in those too. Remember corps is like any other addiction, the main difference is usually you are not arrested for driving under the influence of drum corps, and as a rule they don't give you cancer or cause birth defects.....................Bill