Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:52 pm 
All Star
All Star

Why do people who attend DCA functions have to compare DCI functions unfavorably?

I.E. this comment from another forum:

"My wife put it bluntly on the drive home: "Senior corps look like fun. Junior corps just doesn't to me, sometimes." Well, occassionally, I can't argue with her. "

Ya know, I am so glad you dig DCA and senior corps so much. I used to be that way until certain behavioral aspects led me to believe that it was not a healthy environment. Of course, whoever likes it, that's fine and dandy with me. But the fact that these people have to take a sideswipe at junior corps to justify what THEY like is beyond me. I guess they feel threatened or left out.

In any case, and this is just me, I now avoid senior and alumni corps like a bad haircut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

I don't see that comment as a sideswipe to jr. corps, just a comparison of experiences, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:56 pm 
All Star
All Star

Why do they compare DCI unfavorably with DCA? There's probably a host of reasons that fall into two major categories. First, there are those that have issues with DCI in general or with certain personalities in DCI, just as I'm sure there are people having issues with DCA and some of it's personalities. For others, it's a matter of honest preferences. You know, "You like poTAYtoe and I like poTAHtoe." That sort of thing.

For my part, I find enough in both activities to enjoy on their own merits.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

I must have missed the bus on this one. Obviously there are differences. I didn't know there was any trouble between DCA & DCI and /or the people in them. I didn't know people in DCA corps did things they shouldn't have. I'm sorry, I'm completely in the dark....................Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'm sure it's different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I found my participation to not be healthy for me. If I could go back and take five years of my life back and start over, I'd do it. One thing I also want to add is that Jim and I were talking about our years in senior/alumni corps one night. I asked him if he'd done things that he wouldn't have ordinarily have done in that environment? He said yes. I said yes, I did too. I know we all have free will and we are adults but I think even adults become ensnared in peer pressure and such. In any case, I like my flight plan now, spectator, supporter of drum corps. No more marching EVER!

The thing is, I don't have a gripe with senior/alumni corps. I just don't understand, and it's not in this message forum that I see the sideswipes, it's elsewhere on the net.

I just don't understand why, if you are completely content in whatever circuit of drum corps you support or participate in, is it necessary to take a shot at another?

Maybe I'm over-analyzing.........

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You're over-analyzing.

How is that a swipe?

His wife enjoys DCA corps more than DCI corps and "occasionally" he can't argue with her. Where's the harm? I feel the same way sometimes too. People have opinions as to what they like and what appeals to them. It wasn't a comment on anything other than the fact that DCA corps entertained her more.

Are you also going to protest D1 fans who say they don't like D2/3 shows or won't watch shows from corps outside the Top 12? Pretty soon all you'll be left to support are parade corps.

Contra Bass 89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I want you to take this the way it was intended and not take offence, but I think you need a meeting. Or a good long talk with your sponsor. Trust me.

SCV TOR - 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey, Terri, I've been thinking about joining a Senior corps, but the fact that you found it to be unhealthy for you kind of makes me wonder...
was it more about partying than drum corps? (I used to hear that when I was in my teens.)
Any insight would be appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:10 am 
All Star
All Star

jazzfan wrote:
Hey, Terri, I've been thinking about joining a Senior corps, but the fact that you found it to be unhealthy for you kind of makes me wonder...
was it more about partying than drum corps? (I used to hear that when I was in my teens.)

From what I've seen hanging around senior corps, it varies with the organization. I recommend shopping around and asking questions to find the corps that is a good match. It is really no different than getting a job - you're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

From my experience, some of the bigget parties I've ever experienced came as a fan hanging with junior corps. The night after DCI's finals in 1977 was spent at an all-nighter with the Blue Stars. I remember seeing sunrise at that one. In 1980, my younger brother and I pulled up to the Blue Stars as they were warming up in Cary, NC. Dr. Dave peeled off some bills, sent us on a shopping excursion for beer, and we had a great evening partying with their staff and that of the Crossmen. And so on.

There really weren't many differences between these experiences and what I've seen as a DCA fan. The partying is there in both arenas if you want to find it, and it is also possible to avoid it if you take the right steps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Jim Anello wrote:
jazzfan wrote:

From what I've seen hanging around senior corps, it varies with the organization. I recommend shopping around and asking questions to find the corps that is a good match. It is really no different than getting a job - you're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

From my experience, some of the bigget parties I've ever experienced came as a fan hanging with junior corps. The night after DCI's finals in 1977 was spent at an all-nighter with the Blue Stars. I remember seeing sunrise at that one. In 1980, my younger brother and I pulled up to the Blue Stars as they were warming up in Cary, NC. Dr. Dave peeled off some bills, sent us on a shopping excursion for beer, and we had a great evening partying with their staff and that of the Crossmen. And so on.

There really weren't many differences between these experiences and what I've seen as a DCA fan. The partying is there in both arenas if you want to find it, and it is also possible to avoid it if you take the right steps.

Isn't Senior corps for adults? I mean if you have made it this far in life and don't know how to not put a drink in your mouth when you don't want one, than you have issues. Tap dancing monkey's sake. It is my humbler opinion that if something like drum corps is unhealthy for you, than avoid drum corps. If stepping on land mines is unhealthy for you, than avoid land mines.

SCV TOR - 2004