Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a gripe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:02 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I do not like people who have to stand up after every corps performance, not to cheer but just to stand up and stay standing throughout the next corps warmup. Also people talking during the shows.

I also wish some people would respect DCA and Alumni corps for what they are. They are not just a bunch of old guys and gals seeing who can play louder. Worst comment of tonight was "there is a reason why there is an ageout in corps" If you don't like it leave and let the rest of us enjoy the show.

I feel better now. :D

By the way. Hawthorne put on a great show after Semi's

http://www.valleyairs.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:52 am 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

NickM wrote:
I do not like people who have to stand up after every corps performance, not to cheer but just to stand up and stay standing throughout the next corps warmup.

Sorry 'bout that, Nick... :roll:
Some of us find it necessary...

If I don't stand up during the breaks...
I might not be able to stand up at all...
When the show is over... :wink:

After a dozen corps or more...
My joints would lock up so tight...
That I might never be able to stand again... :crying:

As long as I'm not blocking you...
During the show...
Please buck up and bear with me... :nenr:

NickM wrote:
Also people talking during the shows.

I'm with you on this... :bow:
As most of us probably are...
(Except for the loudmouthed idiots...:dunce:)

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Say something! I am about up to frigg'n here with this PC bull@#$%! I don't think they can read your mind, I'm pretty sure anyway. And if they don't like it, than you are on your own, but say something, I mean most people are resonable.

SCV TOR - 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:29 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Not only would my knees lock up if I never took the time to stand up between corps (but not after each performance), someone would have to carry me out in a straight jacket (after they severly medicated me) if I had to sit there all night long without stretching out my legs. Try suffering even 5 minutes with Restless Leg Syndrome, and you'll know what I mean.

Even standing up doesn't relieve it sometimes, especially in the confined area of stadium seating. That's one of the reasons I always request an aisle seat. I often have to turn around, face my seat, lean over it and do some sort of modified lunge (some very embarrasing gymnasitcs for a plus size women like me to do, but it has to be done) to stretch my legs so they'll be satisfied long enough for a few more corps' performances.

I do take advantage of a corp's earned standing O to take care of my stretching needs (applauding sincerely and stretching at the same time is a learned art), and try not to block views of people who seem too intense on watching the next corps set up. By the time the warmup starts, I'm usually back in my seat.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:20 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I understand some people need to stand up and stretch. I've had 2 knee surgeries and I have to stand up and my the joints around but these people were outright rude. They were asked nicely by myself and several people around me and they just didn't care. They talked through most shows and then they bashed the corps for this that and the other thing. I couldn't figure out why they were there at all.

On the bright side I did get to chat with a nice gentleman who worked with the scouts and he also drove truck for the Cavies. He had a lot of nice stories.

Madison will be better next year. I've never had a problem out there.

http://www.valleyairs.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:27 am 
All Star
All Star

Madison may (or may not) be better in terms of fan politeness, but in terms of stadium comfort, it's just about rock bottom, especially on a hot night. There are no seatbacks or armrests and the seats are jammed closer together than in airline coach. You feel the knees of the fan behind you in your back. Camp Randall Stadium will be more comfortable only if you and everyone in your row is short and thin, or even better, if only half the seats in your row get filled. People have to stand up there between shows just to be able to breathe and to take some pressure off their knees. I know the stadium's been remodeled since 2002, but they didn't gut the seating area to fix this issue.

One year there, I witnessed an argument between two fans, one of whom paid for three seats in a row for just himself and his wife, and still had people pressing into the two of them from the side. The people in his row didn't care that he'd bought an extra ticket to get more room.

Somebody told me the seating is so cramped because that stadium was designed for football fans to stand an entire game. It's one thing if you're 20 years old and the event is three hours long. Us old geezers can't stand for a seven hour drum corps show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:48 pm 
All Star
All Star

I have a gripe too. But it's not about standing between corps because I'll admit, I do have to stand because my butt just can't take it sometimes. :lol:

It's this statement I read elsewhere:

A+E are to drum corps as steroids are to baseball.

I may not like all amping or narration but I certainly don't think there is a comparison.

I did a search on the affects of steroids on the human body. Here's what I found:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mkam/steroids.html

I did a search of the affects of amplification on the human body. I could find nothing applicable to sustain this argument.

Honestly, I have to say that some people just say stupid things and I find it hard to ignore.