My Team?

Vent all your frustrations about the drum corps activity and propose your solutions

Moderator: The Moderating Team

User avatar
Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4803
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 4:13 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

My Team?

Post by Malibu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:46 pm

The thing that really erks me is when I hear someone say, "Yeah, my team really kicked butt last night" or "We are going to beat so & so this weekend!" I mean REALLY....I want to say something like, "I didn't know you owned so & so" or "I didn't know you played [insert sport here]."

I tried to relate that to drum corps and it just doesn't work. :?
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Image

User avatar
Hostrauser
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Poway, CA
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:04 am

I can understand it with college teams if you went to that particular school. My dad, a San Diego State grad, always expresses frustration with "his" Aztecs. My fiancee graduated from USC, so she's always rooting on "her" Trojans.

But with PRO teams, yeah, it's pretty lame. I always refer to them as "The Chargers" and "The Padres", even though I've been rooting for each team for 25+ years.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

User avatar
chadwick
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by chadwick » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:26 am

Off topic but...congrats to 'Your' (j/k :lol: ) Chargers for beating the Colts

User avatar
Hostrauser
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Poway, CA
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:46 pm

Imagine how much of a blowout it would've been if Drew Brees hadn't given the Colts those free scores. ;) Chargers could've won that game 40-7.

That's what's so frustrating about them. When they're on, they can punk anybody: Indy (in Indy), Pats (in NE), etc. When they're off... close losses that ruin the season. Seriously, have the Chargers lost any game by more than a touchdown in the past two seasons? I can't recall any...
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

Ghost
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Post by Ghost » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:45 pm

Too bad SHJ neither of us West Coasters picked them. :(

Blurae1
All Star
All Star
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: North Louisiana

Post by Blurae1 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:54 am

Well, my Saints aren't doing too hot. Looks like we might lose them completely, OH MY GOD NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo. The're will be no one to play in the dome, dear heavens we my have to tear it down. What will we do with the millions of dollars in subsidies?.........Bill

User avatar
chadwick
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by chadwick » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:56 am

Blurae1 wrote:Well, my Saints aren't doing too hot. Looks like we might lose them completely, OH MY GOD NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo. The're will be no one to play in the dome, dear heavens we my have to tear it down. What will we do with the millions of dollars in subsidies?.........Bill
Last I heard the Saints were staying put in New Orleans.

Blurae1
All Star
All Star
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: North Louisiana

Post by Blurae1 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Yes, unfortunately, they are staying. I guess better luck next time...Bill

User avatar
Resume Hut
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:47 pm
Location: Illinois

Post by Resume Hut » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:24 pm

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote: That's what's so frustrating about the [Chargers]. When they're on, they can punk anybody: Indy (in Indy), Pats (in NE), etc. When they're off... close losses that ruin the season.
Indeed...
"These are the roots of rhythm and the roots of rhythm remain"-- Paul Simon

User avatar
abalone
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:01 am
Location: the delta

Re: My Team?

Post by abalone » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:31 pm

Malibu wrote:The thing that really erks me is when I hear someone say, "Yeah, my team really kicked butt last night" or "We are going to beat so & so this weekend!" I mean REALLY....I want to say something like, "I didn't know you owned so & so" or "I didn't know you played [insert sport here]."

I tried to relate that to drum corps and it just doesn't work. :?
I share your frustration. And what's worse, that sense of identity has real consequences. Billions of dollars that could be funnelled in better directions are instead channelled into the sports industry because so many people feel so passionately and identify so strongly with a group of businesspeople and athletes who don't give a flip about them. It's so annoyingly irrational and unfair.

I'd write more, but I have to catch the end of the game...
"Sounds like a bunch 'abalone' to me." --Brian T.

User avatar
Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4803
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 4:13 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: My Team?

Post by Malibu » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:11 am

abalone wrote:


I'd write more, but I have to catch the end of the game...
I don't mind college games.....it's the professional ones that grate my nerves. :crazy:
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Image

Terri1957
All Star
All Star
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:34 am

I know what ya mean

Post by Terri1957 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 pm

I was watching a game with "someone" last week and they kept saying "we" when referring to the team.

I said "who is we? you and that mouse in your pocket?"

Actually I didn't say "mouse" but I am not sure you can say "turd" on here. I guess I'll find out in a minute here. :lol:

User avatar
Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4803
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 4:13 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: I know what ya mean

Post by Malibu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:18 pm

Terri1957 wrote:I was watching a game with "someone" last week and they kept saying "we" when referring to the team.

I said "who is we? you and that mouse in your pocket?"

Actually I didn't say "mouse" but I am not sure you can say "turd" on here. I guess I'll find out in a minute here. :lol:
That's a good one Terrie957! :lol:
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Image

User avatar
mistertoo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Post by mistertoo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:I can understand it with college teams if you went to that particular school. My dad, a San Diego State grad, always expresses frustration with "his" Aztecs. My fiancee graduated from USC, so she's always rooting on "her" Trojans.

But with PRO teams, yeah, it's pretty lame. I always refer to them as "The Chargers" and "The Padres", even though I've been rooting for each team for 25+ years.
Actually, in the pro ranks, The Green Bay Packers are "owned" by stockholders. Basically, if I own stock, they are "my" Team.
Fluffy kittens and cute puppydogs for everyone!
mistertoo@hotmail.com

User avatar
Jd
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 3:27 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Post by Jd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:24 am

Just a few thoughts...

Even though they blew the opportunity to get the first pick in this year's NFL draft and only have one playoff victory in its history, my favorite team is still the New Orleans Saints. :twisted:

Is that a turd in your pocket or is your favorite team winning?

I enjoy watching college football, even though my alma mater, THE University of New Orleans, doesn't have a football team. :( ...Go Bucs!!!
Jd
Bleu Raeders '78-'80
Louisiana Southernaires '81
Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Post Reply