* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Simon says
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

Terri1957 wrote:
Taylor will win. I still think he's like your spaz drunk uncle at your cousin's wedding but people find something endearing about him.

Taylor will win for two big reasons:

He has at least 67% of the judges behind him regardless of how the two sing (Randy and Paula will criticize Katharine regardless of how good she sounds), and. . .

Probably most of Elliott's votes will sway toward Taylor.

It will be another Reuben/Clay thing though. . .

In the end, Katharine will smoke Taylor in sales.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 am 
All Star
All Star

Did anybody else feel let down last night? It was kinda like the top two on Saturday having left their best on the field Thursday.

Post subject: Katharine's original song "My Destiny"
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:48 am 
All Star
All Star

Whoever wrote that should have their songwriting privileges revoked. What sappy junk! That certainly didn't help her chances. I agree with Randy that Taylor's song was only "slightly" better but it was better.

Ugh.

Post subject: Re: Katharine's original song "My Destiny"
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:23 am 
All Star
All Star

Terri1957 wrote:
Whoever wrote that should have their songwriting privileges revoked. What sappy junk! That certainly didn't help her chances. I agree with Randy that Taylor's song was only "slightly" better but it was better.

Ugh.

As I said earlier, it was obvious no matter how good Katharine was (not that she was stellar the entire night) she had no chance of winning.

First of all, Paula's cheerleading during and after Taylor's first song. . .how blatant! In any other competition, these judges would be thrown out for their subjectivity, especially Paula and Randy.

Also, I did not feel like Taylor's first song was any better than Katharine's. Maybe I am being a bit bias, so can anyone explain to me how Taylor slaughtered Katharine in "round 1"?

Then, with their original songs, the sabotage job on Katharine was complete. I don't think ANYONE with a few days to learn it could have pulled off that horrible excuse for a song. You cannot tell me that the producers/judges of the show did not hear that song and know it was a horrible song. . .yet it was chosen for her to sing. She was done before she opened her mouth to sing.

Taylor's song was not great, but at least it stayed within a normal voice range and had a decent melody.

IMO, the show needs to let the show be about the singers and let them decide their own fate. This season, the producers and judges have basically done everything they can do to hand pick who they wanted. . .and very little of it had to do with anyone's vocal performances.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:31 am 
All Star
All Star

Terri1957 wrote:

Ugh.

Yeah, I agree. Formulaic and mindless-- the kind of thing that's gotten the recording industry into trouble. That song's going nowhere from here. Despite what the judges said, I didn't like Taylor's "next hit song" either.

Both Katherine and Taylor failed to play to their long suits (except for Over the Rainbow and Living for the City). And I thought both of them were having trouble adjusting to the acoustics in switching to the Kodak Theater, a much bigger room than the CBS Studio from which earlier shows are broadcast.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:50 am 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
Also, I did not feel like Taylor's first song was any better than Katharine's. Maybe I am being a bit bias, so can anyone explain to me how Taylor slaughtered Katharine in "round 1"?

You've said that Taylor was not your favorite finalist, which is fine, you know, everyone's entitled to his own taste. I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect you to agree with this, but those who like what Taylor does best in bringing energy to soul singing would say that Living For The City was more a song in Taylor's wheelhouse than Black Horse And The Cherry Tree was in Katharine's. She didn't seem comfortable with the song and admitted afterwards she got off to a bad start because she couldn't hear the band, and in a live performance in a new venue and with all the pressure, that's probably what happened. Did they torpedo her on purpose, as you suggest? Possible, but I don't know why. I think she's easier to sell than Taylor. I thought you didn't like conspiracy theories! :wink: I thought City was Taylor's only very good performance last night.

TXMystreaux wrote:
IMO, the show needs to let the show be about the singers and let them decide their own fate. This season, the producers and judges have basically done everything they can do to hand pick who they wanted. . .and very little of it had to do with anyone's vocal performances.

Yeah, the problem here is that the producers and Simon Cowell have a vested financial interest in who wins. They are investing money to produce the winner with a guaranteed contract. So they worry about being saddled with somebody they don't think is marketable and who wouldn't earn back their investment. You said before you thought Katharine was more marketable than Taylor, and based on looks, it's hard to disagree. There is more that goes into making money these days in singing than just singing ability, so I don't think that's totally unfair. But it does suggest that as a game show, there is more than a little potential for American Idol's outcome to not going be left totally up to the audience's whims. There's too much money at stake. In a real TV game show, the producers are supposed to have no vested interest in the outcome. That doesn't work for American Idol (or other reality show competitions).

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:07 am 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
You've said that Taylor was not your favorite finalist, which is fine, you know, everyone's entitled to his own taste. I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect you to agree with this, but those who like what Taylor does best in bringing energy to soul singing would say that Living For The City was more a song in Taylor's wheelhouse than Black Horse And The Cherry Tree was in Katharine's. She didn't seem comfortable with the song and admitted afterwards she got off to a bad start because she couldn't hear the band, and in a live performance in a new venue and with all the pressure, that's probably what happened. Did they torpedo her on purpose, as you suggest? Possible, but I don't know why. I think she's easier to sell than Taylor. I thought you didn't like conspiracy theories! :wink: I thought City was Taylor's only very good performance last night.

Actually, I think it was on "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" where her earpiece was not working right. . .and she still performed it flawlessly.

Quote:
Yeah, the problem here is that the producers and Simon Cowell have a vested financial interest in who wins. They are investing money to produce the winner with a guaranteed contract. So they worry about being saddled with somebody they don't think is marketable and who wouldn't earn back their investment. You said before you thought Katharine was more marketable than Taylor, and based on looks, it's hard to disagree. There is more that goes into making money these days in singing than just singing ability, so I don't think that's totally unfair. But it does suggest that as a game show, there is more than a little potential for American Idol's outcome to not going be left totally up to the audience's whims. There's too much money at stake. In a real TV game show, the producers are supposed to have no vested interest in the outcome. That doesn't work for American Idol (or other reality show competitions).

Problem is, for me, they do not always get it right. Clay and Reuben are a good example. They liked Clay but preferred Reuben that season and made it pretty obvious I thought. Clay has kicked Reuben's butt since.

Also, Simon has taken a couple of cheap shots at Carrie Underwood this season, like when he told Kellie Pickler he preferred her to last season's winner. Last night Carrie won 2 of the 4 ACM awards she was up for and Country Music in general LOVES her.

Anyway, it does not matter in the end. Katharine has been discovered and will do well in spite of not winning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Katharine
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:23 pm 
All Star
All Star

is gorgeous and talented. And most importantly, YOUNG. She will do well. After she gets past that first recording. It had that "you light up my life" feel. Ugh.

I have to say, when this years idol went back to LA, I noticed alot of "Taylor" websites and blogs. I think he had a core group from the start.

Katharine may need to surround herself with better representation. Anybody should have told her to RUN, not walk, away from "My Destiny". Did the show make her do that dog with fleas? If they did, geez........thanks for nuthin'!

I wish her well and I hope she finds some really great agent and manager who will protect her interests better than they have been the last few weeks.

Post subject: Re: Katharine
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:27 pm 
All Star
All Star

Terri1957 wrote:
is gorgeous and talented. And most importantly, YOUNG. She will do well. After she gets past that first recording. It had that "you light up my life" feel. Ugh.

I have to say, when this years idol went back to LA, I noticed alot of "Taylor" websites and blogs. I think he had a core group from the start.

Katharine may need to surround herself with better representation. Anybody should have told her to RUN, not walk, away from "My Destiny". Did the show make her do that dog with fleas? If they did, geez........thanks for nuthin'!

I wish her well and I hope she finds some really great agent and manager who will protect her interests better than they have been the last few weeks.

I think we have every reason to believe that not only did the show have someone write those songs specifically for each singer, but also that it is no coincidence that her song sucked in a huge way.

The bright side is that her voice will not be denied. She will make it big!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:52 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Well, the rumor was true Taylor Hicks won. :well:

So sad that political factors had to play a part. It should be that the Best performer wins regardless of their sex. Who cares if the last few winners have been women just as long as they were the best! :kill:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:18 am 
All Star
All Star

I'm as baffled by the suspicions of some of you here as to why the fix would be in for Taylor as some of you are when I start spouting off about DCI and bands, but that's okay. I just don't get why you think they would want Taylor to win rather than Katharine when Katharine's the better fit for the Idol mold. Katharine has some issues, and room to grow, but the good news is: she has room to grow and I think the issues can be fixed with the right people behind her and more maturity and performance experience.

Kudos to the producers for a :sail: kewl :sail: finale show, though, with the Idols singing with their Idols and almost zero judge mouthoff time.

Post subject: Fan base
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:37 am 
All Star
All Star

Resume Hut wrote:
I'm as baffled by the suspicions of some of you here as to why the fix would be in for Taylor as some of you are when I start spouting off about DCI and bands, but that's okay. I just don't get why you think they would want Taylor to win rather than Katharine when Katharine's the better fit for the Idol mold. Katharine has some issues, and room to grow, but the good news is: she has room to grow and I think the issues can be fixed with the right people behind her and more maturity and performance experience.

Kudos to the producers for a :sail: kewl :sail: finale show, though, with the Idols singing with their Idols and almost zero judge mouthoff time.

I don't think it was a grand conspiracy by the Idol producers. I think Taylor has a HUGE fan base that started way back when he was passed through to go to Hollywood. I was surprised to see Taylor Hicks blogs and websites. I was baffled myself.

Anyway, now that that's over I have to see that chef from Hell show on Fox. That is one crazy dude. Food fight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:57 am 
All Star
All Star

Resume Hut wrote:

I have yet to see the Finale. . .Tivoed it though.

As far as conspiracy theories or it being rigged, I do not think it is rigged, but I do strongly feel the show and who wins is guided by subjective judging. The 3 "judges", and I use that word quite loosely, did seem to hand pick their winner this year (and that was Chris) and when Chris surprisingly was voted off they went on to the next best male. Bottom line, for whatever reason they really wanted a male to win and they got what they wanted.

Also, I did see the idiotic red carpet pre-show. First of all, where were the celebs? Bo Derek showed up, but probably 75% of the people watching the show were wondering who she was. Then, when Chris Daughtry and his wife showed up they called him the "people's favorite". How could that be when the people's votes (or lack thereof) sent him packing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The saddest thing said last night
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:57 am 
All Star
All Star

More than 63 million votes were cast, "more than any president in the history of our country has received," Seacrest said. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:03 am 
All Star
All Star

Hey if we picked presidents with nationwide voting Chicago-style-- vote early and often-- as we do Idols, we'd have a lot more than 63 million votes for president as well.

I've got a collection of 17 "BE NICE TO ME - I VOTED TODAY" and "PROUD TO VOTE" stickers for clothing, that the county here hands out to voters when they turn their ballots in. I've collected these one per election over the years. The last election I vote here before moving away someday, I'm going to run in panting heavily looking at my watch, carrying a clipboard with precinct addresses crossed off, five minutes before the close of the polls, with my clothes covered with these stickers and try to vote.