Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing?
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:43 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Is it me or have we been missing someone who usually loves to stir the pot. Especially in political and religious threads.

Anyone seen Spring-Heeled Jack? :shock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:59 pm 
All Star
All Star

Been away for months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

I have noticed he's been gone, but have not particularly missed him.

I know that sounds harsh, but its true.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Not even a little
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

He was the main reason I asked Dave if he would start the new "politcal and religious" forum, changing the way soundmachine had existed for quite some time.
It's typical tho...come in...stir up a bunch of stuff...try and get as much attention as possible, then leave. My guess is he'll be back soon when the season starts up and there are more people visiting the site again...right now it may not be active enuff to be worth his efforts.
Sad thing is,,,there are always those willing to try and fill his shoes.

Blues, Baby, Blues!

Post subject: Re: Not even a little
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:47 am 
All Star
All Star

MB3 wrote:
He was the main reason I asked Dave if he would start the new "politcal and religious" forum, changing the way soundmachine had existed for quite some time.
It's typical tho...come in...stir up a bunch of stuff...try and get as much attention as possible, then leave. My guess is he'll be back soon when the season starts up and there are more people visiting the site again...right now it may not be active enuff to be worth his efforts.
Sad thing is,,,there are always those willing to try and fill his shoes.

Also, don't forget the national elections are right around the corner as well. That will be prime time to mark his arrival.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:21 pm 
All Star
All Star

Although I have begun to lurk in recent weeks, I am sorry to say that he is the one of the main reasons why I left this board as a regular. Not because of who he is, but because of the way I was feeling...it just wasn't healthy or productive...or worth it.

I believe he was getting married in April. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I wish him the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:35 pm 
All Star
All Star

Crushed during the honeymoon. :cry:

Post subject: Be honest!
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:38 pm 
All Star
All Star

Who among us don't look forward to his weekly rankings? When it comes to numbers, you have to admit he is pretty good at it!
:compute:

I'm sure he'll be back soon, once the season starts and/or the honeymoon ends (or at least settles down a bit :wink: )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

Agree or disagree, I hope he's alright..........Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Wasn't he supposed to get married this summer? Maybe his new in-laws take up all his aggravation efforts.

Actually, I miss him. It takes all kinds. And if he annoys you, just take comfort in the idea that his kids will grow up to be Bible-thumping Republicans (and they'll argue all day with TX's hedonist Democratic progeny)! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 am 
All Star
All Star

No need to worry...SHJ is doing well and may return to the Drum Corps Forum this summer as he knows that many of us look forward to his rankings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:49 am 
All Star
All Star

xsabers wrote:
Although I have begun to lurk in recent weeks, I am sorry to say that he is the one of the main reasons why I left this board as a regular. Not because of who he is, but because of the way I was feeling...it just wasn't healthy or productive...or worth it.

I believe he was getting married in April. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I wish him the best.

Its funny because I have actually been feeling the same way lately because of other discussions in the political/religous forum and comments of other posters. Its just no longer worth it for me to reply to some of the things that are discussed. I look forward to focusing on the Drum Corps forum this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:45 am 
All Star
All Star

I think we've paid a heavy price here for having political and religious discussions. (I don't mean I think it's wrong to have them in their own forum. That was the right move if we're going to have them at all.) I mean I think we've lost more than a few people and turned off many of those who remain by allowing them at all. I too am among many of the regulars who have concluded that reading and posting there has not been a good use of my time. Is there any chance one of us is going to change anybody's views? Sure, Slim and None, with Slim on a train headin' outta town. It just serves to get everybody ticked off and possibly reluctant to even come to the board at all. Like others, I have vowed to myself to stop discussing politics and religion on Sound Machine, but find it very hard at times to resist responding. Of course many of those who left may well have wandered away anyhow, because that's how it is on all Internet forums, but I just get the sense reading Private Messages from many of you that political and religious threads have not been a positive development for Sound Machine's DCDG. You know what they say are the two things that should never be discussed at family reunions? Of course, politics, and religion. There's a good reason for that. Emotions run high and it rarely plays out well. And just as a country and society, we are so polarized right now. Not that that's unique in American history. It's always cycled up and down. But it's here in spades now.

I have not communicated directly with SHJ since he left, but I can see him elsewhere on the Internet and can assure you that he seems to be in good health and is now happily married. I'm not going to post where you can see him elsewhere, because my guess is he would not want that generally shared. He had been cutting down the time he was spending even lurking on the Internet generally, let alone posting to it, as his wedding approached, and recently said he is choosing to spend very little time on the web. And to that, whether we miss his unique POV and attitude, or not, we should all say, Amen. What I cannot tell you is whether he will be following drum corps this summer or going to Pasadena in 2007. His self-imposed sabbatical from Sound Machine could be brief, or permanent, as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:07 am 
All Star
All Star

I guess I'm as bad as anyone for posting opinions on the political forum. One thing I am cautious about is critisizing on insulting DCI or it's corps in public. Whether I like something they did or not, I just don't feel right insulting them. Maybe it hits too close to home.
Politics, on the other hand, seems so distant & far away it's easy. I guess that's wrong..............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

It's funny - he is politically liberal, but when it comes to drum corps, he's pretty conservative / traditional. I miss that side of him.