It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

rysa4 wrote:
I read through the rules changes.

3. Creativity is fine, but not at the expense of lowering standards of marching and playing, which is exactly what these rules do.

I don't think I would underestimate anyone in the top 12 in lowering their standards.

Ben

1964-68 San Leandro Royalaires
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008
SCV&BD Alumni Combined Corps 2007
SF Renegades 2009,2010,2012
2016-17 50th Anniversary SCV Alumni Corps

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:23 am 
All Star
All Star

SCVBaritone wrote:
rysa4 wrote:
I read through the rules changes.

3. Creativity is fine, but not at the expense of lowering standards of marching and playing, which is exactly what these rules do.

I don't think I would underestimate anyone in the top 12 in lowering their standards.

Ben

. . .or raising the bar and showing us some cool things we may not have seen/heard before.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

As for me, I’m one who has always thought that drum corp has been dropping it’s image even since maybe the late 90s. While I enjoyed the tapes and the shows, etc. there was always this feeling in the back of my mind that said something about this is not right, but I just couldn’t pinpoint what it was. Maybe it's just me liking the old 80s style; their marching, the way they looked back then or something. It seems to me that that's the way drum corp should be like, rather than what they have now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

En929 wrote:
Maybe it's just me liking the old 80s style; their marching, the way they looked back then or something. It seems to me that that's the way drum corp should be like, rather than what they have now.

I like the great drill moves we see occasionally and the horn/drum/guard lines talent. What I can do without is speaking/singing, snippets of a song, dancing, too many props, amplification, and where the activity is heading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

You've got to wonder, was drum corps more popular back in the '80s or '90s? I think it was more reasonably accessible compared to today. Tickets back then for a Championship venue was less than $10.....today you have to take out a loan! :shock: Also if you couldn't make it to finals, PBS would air the whole thing or at least in parts...FREE.

I understand the cost of gas and cost of (IMO) unnecessary venues like NFL Stadiums have increased ticket prices. Remember though back in the late '70s and early '80s there were gas problems too, but that did not effect the price of tickets nor did it stop the fans from going across the country to see a show.

Perhaps that's why DCI and their board of directors elite are pushing for a Super Six Circuit. Might as well not compete and just put on a show for the masses.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Last edited by Malibu on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:39 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Malibu wrote:
Perhaps that's why DCI and their board of directors elite are pushing for a Super Six Circuit. Might as well not compete and just put on a show for the masses.

Hopefully by the time they get to that point there will still be enough left to qualify as masses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
You've got to wonder, was drum corps more popular back in the '80s or '90s? I think it was more reasonably accessible compared to today. Tickets back then for a Championship venue was less than $10.....today you have to take out a loan! :shock: Also if you couldn't make it to finals, PBS would air the whole thing or at least in parts...FREE.

I understand the cost of gas and cost of (IMO) unnecessary venues like NFL Stadiums have increased ticket prices. Remember though back in the late '70s and early '80s there were gas problems too, but that did not effect the price of tickets nor did it stop the fans from going across the country to see a show.

But isn't this true with just about everything we purchase?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

buckofan wrote:
Malibu wrote:

Hopefully by the time they get to that point there will still be enough left to qualify as masses.

When I marched in the Royalaires before going to SCV in 68 you couldn't help see someone we marched with at school or at the department store or local hamburger joint. Our drum corps was part of the community we lived in and it was there we got our support from mainly from our parents and friends. In SCV it was the same thing. Today, kids come from all over the country with little or no ties to communities of the host corps. It seems to me a special connection was lost when the community you are part of does not provide that talent in your local corps. I can go on and on about this, but the way I try to understand DCI is they want the very best for and from the kids but in the process DCI has created a quasi community who ties are based on only those can pay up.
My feeling is, history does repeat itself and styles do return....so never think that traditional drum corp is gone because of few opportunist.

SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:03 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

All I can say to y'all is that if you are frustrated with the Div 1 "elites", then please support or volunteer in some compacity "Open Class" Corps. Being involved with a smaller Corps has satisfied my longing for the "good 'ol days".

Just like the old days there are more local kids involved who keep coming back year after year. We operate on a shoestring budget. You can see the "Vets" support the "Rookies" who have never marched in a Corps and bring them along to a level of excellence that you never thought they would reach. It's touching and what I think some people really miss about the old days.

There is still a bit innocence with these smaller corps. I just hope they don't kill themselves by trying to keep up with the Jonzes and price themselves out of exsistance. That is the biggest problem I see with all the fancy stuff that has become the norm of Drum Corps today.

I'm not sure how much further we can go now with rule changes except to add woodwinds. For me, I think that that would really be the end. Until then, I'll grit my teeth and support the Kids. NOW is THEIR time time to shine...

If DCI won't do it, then WE have to do it...
Support Open Class Corps!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Maggie wrote:
All I can say to y'all is that if you are frustrated with the Div 1 "elites", then please support or volunteer in some compacity "Open Class" Corps. Being involved with a smaller Corps has satisfied my longing for the "good 'ol days".

Just like the old days there are more local kids involved who keep coming back year after year. We operate on a shoestring budget. You can see the "Vets" support the "Rookies" who have never marched in a Corps and bring them along to a level of excellence that you never thought they would reach. It's touching and what I think some people really miss about the old days.

There is still a bit innocence with these smaller corps. I just hope they don't kill themselves by trying to keep up with the Jonzes and price themselves out of exsistance. That is the biggest problem I see with all the fancy stuff that has become the norm of Drum Corps today.

I'm not sure how much further we can go now with rule changes except to add woodwinds. For me, I think that that would really be the end. Until then, I'll grit my teeth and support the Kids. NOW is THEIR time time to shine...

Maggie good point.....I think the "open class" will evolve into some pretty entertaining corps and their sizes will increase as well. As for DCI and all these rule changes. Drum corps will survive and DCI will evolve. As the economy changes this will be more evident and yes, the kids will shine.

Ben

SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008

Profile E-mail