The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 pm 
All Star
All Star

The Aceman wrote:
Y'all are over reacting. I think there is nothing wrong with the rules changes. I've said all along that DCI needs to make changes in order to keep up with the times. George Hopkins realizes it, and obviously most of DCI realizes it too, otherwise the rule changes wouldn't have passed. You like to put all the blame on Hopkins, but he needed support in order to pass the rule changes, and he had overwhelming support. Instead of getting mad that the changes are happening and corps isn't going to be exactly how YOU experienced years ago, wait and give the changes some time to be utilized properly and implemented to possible great effect rather than passing judgment so soon. Amplification does not a marching band make, more judges does not a marching band make, water in the front ensemble does not a marching band make. In fact even electronic instruments does not a marching band make. The only thing that will ever make it marching band is the use of woodwinds, period, end of story.

You have your line of definition. Mine is slightly, but ONLY slightly, more conservative. What happens when YOUR line is crossed? (and it will be if the fans don't soon say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Well the dictionary definiton of a Drum and Bugle Corps is this:

a marching band of drum players and buglers.

I think most drum corps fans would rather use the wikipedia definition which states this:

A drum and bugle corps or drum corps is an athletic musical marching unit (similar to a marching band) consisting of brass instruments, percussion instruments, and color guard.

Either way it leaves everything in these newest rule changes up for interpretation without changing the core definition of what a "Drum Corps" is, adapting to the times isn't a bad thing, adding woodwinds would make it a marching band not a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, that's why my line is there and I think DCI understands and respects the same line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:43 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I hate to say it, but I'm done. Years of marching, volunteering, and instructing are over. I'm horribly disappointed that DCI has ignored its very vocal fan base... drum corps was something unique and now it isn't. Might as well let in woodwinds, I won't be there to boo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 am 
All Star
All Star

The Aceman wrote:
Y'all are over reacting. I think there is nothing wrong with the rules changes. I've said all along that DCI needs to make changes in order to keep up with the times. George Hopkins realizes it, and obviously most of DCI realizes it too, otherwise the rule changes wouldn't have passed. You like to put all the blame on Hopkins, but he needed support in order to pass the rule changes, and he had overwhelming support. Instead of getting mad that the changes are happening and corps isn't going to be exactly how YOU experienced years ago, wait and give the changes some time to be utilized properly and implemented to possible great effect rather than passing judgment so soon. Amplification does not a marching band make, more judges does not a marching band make, water in the front ensemble does not a marching band make. In fact even electronic instruments does not a marching band make. The only thing that will ever make it marching band is the use of woodwinds, period, end of story.

Although I agree with most of what you said, it will fall on deaf ears. There is a very closed-minded faction of drum corps fans/alums out there who will never support any of this. Fortunately, I am betting there will be plenty of new fans both young and old to replace those who will now stop attending shows.

Weird. . .I never attended drum corps shows because of the instruments they played. I attended because of the level of performance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 am 
All Star
All Star

CaptnContra wrote:
I hate to say it, but I'm done. Years of marching, volunteering, and instructing are over. I'm horribly disappointed that DCI has ignored its very vocal fan base... drum corps was something unique and now it isn't. Might as well let in woodwinds, I won't be there to boo.

There is an even larger (I am betting) fan base that either is in favor of these changes or don't really care and will support it anyway.

As someone very wise once told me in relation to jobs. . .don't ever assume that you can't and won't be replaced.

If you want to leave the activity than that is your choice and right to do so, but don't leave assuming that because of your departure things will fail (which I know you did not say but I feel it was implied).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:52 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I'm not ready to give up yet. Previous rule changes always stir up the pot and some leave while some arrive. However, given that. . .

I am really against the use of electronics -- period. I'll give it a chance in 2009 and at least listen once. If it is ugly then I may go to some shows and just get up and go to the souvie booths while the corps using them are on the field. Once more than a couple of the corps are using them, then and only then will I stop paying my hard earned $$.

And yes, there will be more new fans yet after I leave. What the heck, we're all going to die eventually and be succeeded by those yet to be born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Do I like the rule change in favor of electronic instruments? No, but it won't stop me from going to a show.
Over 20 ago, one of the bands I've worked with, would go to the James Madison University Parade of Champions contest. Even back then, the marching Dukes (JMU) soloist had mics on to make them project out more from the 400+ on the field. To me, the use of the mic was a distraction and I thought how lame this music major had to amp his sound when corps were projecting just fine!. Sure, 400 Vs 128, 135 or 150 doesn't matter cause the brass sound will hit you harder than the added woodwinds. It just stuck out to me and it didn't blend so well.

As much as I hate the fact that woodwinds will likely be apart of the instrumentation in the future, I doubt if it would discourage me from going as well. However, I know I will miss the unique sound that only brass and drumlines can make.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 am 
All Star
All Star

I don't know. As with most things I'm going to take a wait & see attitude. With tonguue firmly planted in cheek, I thought the demise of drum corps was going to come about with the addition of the rotor to the bugle............Bill

Post subject: SOME THINGS TO PONDER
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:42 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I marched 4 years in tha Madison Scouts from 74 to 77, we placed 2nd-1st-2nd-6th (well 7th if you count the Bridgemen score.) We toured every bit as much then as they do now. We went fron Cali to Monteal to Boston in 1976 and had 8 shows in 8 different states in 1977. I am nothing more than a fan these days but here a few things to ponder.

1) Dues all 4 years I marched - $100.00 per year Gas prices in 1977 .649 per gallon
2) Average dues in 2008 $2,200.00 per year with as prices $3.25 per gallon.
Gas goes up 5 times over while dues go up 22 times over.
3) the new rules will cost corps even more in 2009
4) Many of the top corps are begging for money-Phantom had a huge appeal asking for donations of $500.00 each
5) DCI is the only game in town so even if the members don't like the changes they'll live with them.
6) DCI is the only game in town so the fans (including myself) will live with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
I don't know. As with most things I'm going to take a wait & see attitude. With tonguue firmly planted in cheek, I thought the demise of drum corps was going to come about with the addition of the rotor to the bugle............Bill

I made the same mistake with marching tympani :shock:

I agree with you fully, and will be doing the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:

Let me guess. . .McGuyver?

Nope! Check out political.

Another nail by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

It is only a matter of time before DCI kills the golden goose!!! With the gas prices well over $3.00, and a recession in the forcast, DCI better be careful, because many people will not have that extra loose change sitting in their pockets to pay for the upcoming season.

It is a shame that DCI is not more fan friendly, and want to listen to the fan in the stand.

Well, I guess it is time to get back and finish shoveling snow. It just will not stop.

Groucho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 pm 
All Star
All Star

Groucho wrote:
It is only a matter of time before DCI kills the golden goose!!! With the gas prices well over $3.00, and a recession in the forcast, DCI better be careful, because many people will not have that extra loose change sitting in their pockets to pay for the upcoming season.

It is a shame that DCI is not more fan friendly, and want to listen to the fan in the stand.

Well, I guess it is time to get back and finish shoveling snow. It just will not stop.

Groucho

I have faith the directors know a more than I (we) do. Time will tell.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:17 pm 
All Star
All Star

I am very surprised that the water proposal passed. I have seen so many people, including myself, injured because of exposed liquids; this was a bad decision. No argument can sway me on this matter.

I am glad that pit amplification was continued, and I am looking forward to hearing applications for the horn. I attended a Dave Brubeck concert a number of years ago that experimented with some interesting microphone treatments for the clarinet. This will be a good idea.

I am fine with vocalization staying. I don't mind electronic instruments as long as they don't synthesize sounds that can be made with percussion and horns.

I can understand the chagrin among long time fans who desire the drum corps of earlier days; however, art is progressive. It is not a production line that churns out widgets ad infinitum. It has to grow. The spirit of drum corps is still alive even though the medium has reached out to the marching band audience. And--if you are a fan of BOA or USSBA, the strides forward in performance level are in direct relation to the influence of drum corps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know what tourist sites there are at Indy, but it does not sound like a great city to visit. Even Payton lost this year!!!

Too bad it is going to be there for quite some time. I think people will get tired of going back to the same city year after year. Then again, as I said before they my "kill the golden goose"!!!

Groucho

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next