The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:47 am 
Soloist
Soloist

It's not difficult to find stuff to do in Indy. Especially if you are amongst good company, like drum corps friends and family. I've been going to Dayton every year for WGI with my drum corps buddies and I look forward to it every year. And lets face it...Dayton Ohio isn't exactly a tourist mecca. Makes Indy look like friggin Las Vegas.

But knowing basically where I'm going to stay each year, how to get to the arenas without getting lost (shortcuts!), how much the whole thing will cost me approximately...it makes planning a breeze. And if you're not thrilled with the tourist fare, our best plan B is to seek out and find rehearsals to attend of our favorite groups. Where inevitably we run into more friends and good times.

In Indy, I know pretty much which hotel I'm staying at (there are many nearby the stadium itself), I can WALK to the stadium without fear of being mugged or killed, and there are a slew of decent restaurants and bars nearby (Rock Bottom anyone?). Add in my drum corps buddies and family and I can safely say I will be enjoying my yearly trips to Indianapolis for DCI Finals. Like I do going to Dayton every year.

If you convince yourself you won't enjoy something, guess what....you probably won't enjoy it. Surround yourself with friends and family and you can pretty much enjoy any experience. If you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 am 
Veteran
Veteran

lucas97 wrote:
And if you're not thrilled with the tourist fare, our best plan B is to seek out and find rehearsals to attend of our favorite groups. Where inevitably we run into more friends and good times.

This was my thought the other day. When I am fully retired and unable to attend all the shows due to high ticket prices I may make a short tour with my favorites and just go to their practices (not the shows).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

DCI is dead to me now...it's a shame I use to take a lot of pride in what I was experiencing at the shows. Since the rules will not take effect till 2009 it looks like I have one more year to pseudo-enjoy DCI.

Good-bye Drum Corps International....hello Drum Corps & Electric Guitar International. It will only be a year or two before woodwinds are allowed.

Congrats Hopkins on taking something special that you helped create and completely flush it down the toilet....hope you're happy.

Edited by Malibu

Jim Ott made sure he could hear it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Groucho wrote:
It is only a matter of time before DCI kills the golden goose!!! With the gas prices well over $3.00, and a recession in the forcast, DCI better be careful, because many people will not have that extra loose change sitting in their pockets to pay for the upcoming season.

It is a shame that DCI is not more fan friendly, and want to listen to the fan in the stand.

Well, I guess it is time to get back and finish shoveling snow. It just will not stop.

Groucho

Not only are the fans not going to be able to afford it, the corps aren't either. DCI is already in a crisis trying to keep Division I corps afloat. They should be focused on making things more economical to keep the sport alive...all they've done now is force corps to choose between being competitive or just being able to field a corps.

All these rules have done is created a "BCS" system in DCI. The top 3-4 corps are protecting their position at the top b/c they're the only one's that can afford to implement these changes while the rest simply can't compete and can throw out any chance of winning.

Get use to the Champion being decided between Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers from here on out.

Jim Ott made sure he could hear it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

SpiritCymbal wrote:
Get use to the Champion being decided between Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers from here on out.

"Get used to?" One of those corps has at least tied for the Championship for the past 16 years. Since 1980, there have been only four years in which one of those three corps didn't win (or tie for) the DCI Title: 1981, 1988, 1989 and 1991.

DCI has always been "ruled by the elite," so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am 
Rookie
Rookie

SpiritCymbal wrote:
Groucho wrote:
It is only a matter of time before DCI kills the golden goose!!! With the gas prices well over $3.00, and a recession in the forcast, DCI better be careful, because many people will not have that extra loose change sitting in their pockets to pay for the upcoming season.

It is a shame that DCI is not more fan friendly, and want to listen to the fan in the stand.

Well, I guess it is time to get back and finish shoveling snow. It just will not stop.

Groucho

Not only are the fans not going to be able to afford it, the corps aren't either. DCI is already in a crisis trying to keep Division I corps afloat. They should be focused on making things more economical to keep the sport alive...all they've done now is force corps to choose between being competitive or just being able to field a corps.

All these rules have done is created a "BCS" system in DCI. The top 3-4 corps are protecting their position at the top b/c they're the only one's that can afford to implement these changes while the rest simply can't compete and can throw out any chance of winning.

LOL Don't forget about Santa Clara Vangard. It's another one of the corps that win a lot and they're part of the elite with Blue Devils, etc. I'd say it's always Blue Devils, Cadats, Cavaliers, or Santa Clara Vangard. I agree. It's pretty nerve wrecking that nobody else wins but one one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:37 am 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
SpiritCymbal wrote:

"Get used to?" One of those corps has at least tied for the Championship for the past 16 years. Since 1980, there have been only four years in which one of those three corps didn't win (or tie for) the DCI Title: 1981, 1988, 1989 and 1991.

DCI has always been "ruled by the elite," so to speak.

Change that to Junior Drum Corps, as it was that way pre-DCI as well.

Probably could say just 'Drum Corps', as DCA has not been all that different over the decades.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Believe it or not, There are former "elite" members from the SCV who are still envolved in drum corps who would probably agree with the sediment expressed on this thread about the direction of drum corps and DCI's role in mainstreaming drum corps. I don't feel I have to get use to it and I don't believe once changes are made that they are immutable.

Santa Clara has over the long haul has honed it's skills in keeping the Vanguard financially fluid even in these rough economic times with dedicated folks who know how to roll with the punches. The level of commitment by it's Boosters and supporters is phenominal to say the least. The staff understands it creative responsiblity in the DCI frame work and will do what they have to do to win. The "elite" concept gripes me because you don't have a championship titles handed over on a plate.
It's about intense hard work all year round,season after season at all levels of the organization.

Ben

1964-68 San Leandro Royalaires
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008
SCV&BD Alumni Combined Corps 2007
SF Renegades 2009,2010,2012
2016-17 50th Anniversary SCV Alumni Corps

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 am 
All Star
All Star

SCVBaritone wrote:
Believe it or not, There are former "elite" members from the SCV who are still envolved in drum corps who would probably agree with the sediment expressed on this thread about the direction of drum corps and DCI's role in mainstreaming drum corps. I don't feel I have to get use to it and I don't believe once changes are made that they are immutable.

Santa Clara has over the long haul has honed it's skills in keeping the Vanguard financially fluid even in these rough economic times with dedicated folks who know how to roll with the punches. The level of commitment by it's Boosters and supporters is phenominal to say the least. The staff understands it creative responsiblity in the DCI frame work and will do what they have to do to win. The "elite" concept gripes me because you don't have a championship titles handed over on a plate.
It's about intense hard work all year round,season after season at all levels of the organization.

Ben

I was dismayed that SCV voted yes on both of the most controversial items: amped brass and electronics.

Very disappointed with one of my favorite organizations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 am 
Soloist
Soloist

SCV's vote doesn't surprise me in the least. They have always been a fairly progressive corps, while maintaining a strong sense of corps tradition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I'm not happy with those decisions either...but I don't see them as monumental changes ..I have always been dissatisfied with the sound projection on the outdoor field by the Bb instrument....which by the way is not the burning question in regards to preserving the sound, feel and style as we all know as of drum corps.

Ben

SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm 
All Star
All Star

I just realized that we have a forum ("Self Therapy") for this kind of thread, so I'm moving it there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Hostrauser, We could start with .......denial!.....just kidding

SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

I read through the rules changes.

1. I think the doubling of one caption ( by discretion at regionals etc) is not a good thing. It makes for some wild uneveness and some true politics on who decides at one contest that will obviously move corps placement around.

It also makes other captions significantly less meaningful when the rule applies. That's a real shame because it de-emphasizes excellence.

2. Amplification/instruments-- so who has listened to the latest Cadets link from the January 18th 2008 rehearsal? Now I understand why I was hearing what I was hearing. I agree with amplifying the pit frankly, because it was hard to get a correct musical balance before, but bringing on every kind of amplified self powered instrument, bass guitar and lord knows what is not a good move.

3. Creativity is fine, but not at the expense of lowering standards of marching and playing, which is exactly what these rules do.

Post subject: DCI Rules (or does not!!)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:13 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Looks like the writing's on the wall. All of you drummers that are not happy might want to do what we're doing--form our own Marching Percussion Ensemble away from DCI so that the rules are easier and the drumming is grand! It's called MPE and starting to catch on here in Chicago. Just drums--if you can carry it, you can play it. We would like to compete, but we need other ensembles to do so! This is all ages so no, WGI is not the answer. This is drumming first, not Broadway.
If you would like to know more, my friends and I would be glad to help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next