* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rude, Inconsiderate people at Drum Corps Shows
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

OK, I am going to go on a rant here! :x

Is it me or are people getting more rude at shows?

Here is what I had to deal with in Indy:

Sitting in front of me:

A family of 5. Mom, Dad, and 4 daughters aged approximately 13, 9, 6 and 6 months. That's right! 6 months old! Now who on earth could think that they could take a 6 month old baby to 2 DC shows totaling 8 hours in that boomy dome and not have problems. Furthermore the only ones interested in the show was Dad and the oldest daughter so a couple of corps into the afternoon show and continuing throughout the night we had crying baby, musical chairs, fidget, fidget, fidget, up and down, in and out ad infinitum. Very distracting to everyone around them.

Sitting behind me:

A group of 6-8 young people with corps ties talking (at times loudly) in a foreign language (French I believe) during the first 2-3 corps performances. A few dirty looks soon got the message across but several reminders had to be issued throughout the afternoon/evening!

Sitting next to me:

Two openly gay gentlemen who didn't mind at all displaying their affection for one another (massaging thighs, hugging, kissing). OK, flame away! I am not against gays but I do believe that discretion is the better part of valor!

Add to all of that the RCA Dome is a terrible place to listen to DC (if after 24 performances you don't have a headache in that place, you are superhuman), the lines for the restrooms and concessions were very long and leaving or returning to your seat was an adventure (due to the incredibly small space between rows) the entire experience (except for the incredible performances by all of the corps) was less than ideal.

Maybe this is just another example of how society seems to be changing towards behavior which is inconsiderate of others (I will not go to a movie theatre for many of the same issues listed above) but I for one am tired of the lack of consideration a lot of people seeem to exhibit for others.

OK, Rant ended!

B(b)Shetts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:25 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I absolutely agree with you. On another thread here I went off on a little tangent about how I couldn't believe all the talking on the MP3s. I actually heard people making pig noises during one corps. I pointed out a lot of the same things you did. Although those two guys can sit beside me or behind me anytime, since they apparently weren't talking.

I have been trying lately to not get overly emotional or insulting, but I can't help it . I talked about how a few years ago at a show during a corps ballad you could hear a pin drop, the audience was so into the song (after it there was thunderous applause) I said we should have the same respect as we would at a movie or a symphony.

Some idiot actually defended these people....he stated that when he marched he liked to hear chatter in the stands! ....and then went on to say that when corps shows are as quite as watching a synphony that he would find some other type of entertainment! Well that won't be soon enough!

Bill D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: re:Show manners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

I think I shall refrain from ranting, although this subject is a danged good excuse for a full-blown, all-out, pedal-to-the-metal rant. :twisted:
Suffice to to say that, in this day and age, common courtesy, like common sense, has become a rare commodity. :(

'Till later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

B(b) Shetts wrote:

Quote:
Sitting in front of me:

A family of 5. Mom, Dad, and 4 daughters aged approximately 13, 9, 6 and 6 months.

Is this new math? Seems like a family of 6 to me. j/k :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

At the Glendora show this year I had the unfortunate circumstance of sitting near high school bandos. I myself am a college band member but I know when to shut up about band. They talked during corps performances which really irked me. The worse was most of their comments were band band band band band band.

"Oh that's the size of our band."
"Oh look at the pretty colors maybe we'll use those."
"We've got less drums than them."
blah blah blah blah

Member of the Lambda Alpha Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: As A HS Band Director Myself...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:57 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I "educate" my kids on what Drum Corps is all about and how to behave at a Corps show. I explain a little about Drum Corps and it's roots and DCI, it's roots, what to expect, et. I show them DVD's and Videos. I expect them to watch, listen and most of all enjoy w/o making comparisons or disrupting anyone else's enjoyment of the show. I tell them it is the most incredible musical experience they will ever have outside of the concert hall and to treat it as such! It ain't a football game! :wink:

B(b)

P.S. Dennis - musta ben cuz dey onlee tuk up 5 sits dat da number come up! :wink:

You're right! New math! :lol:

Post subject: I would hope
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:38 am 
Veteran
Veteran

that if you had a man and woman being affectionate at a show, that you would think the same way. Were they making noise, too????

More often than not...it is the affection between two people of the same sex that makes someone uncomfortable while affection between the opposite sex gets no one's attention unless they literally have their tongues down each other's throat. People will not look twice if a man and woman hold hands walking down the street, two men or two women get stares and looks of disgust more often than not(try it sometime and you will see) 8-)

My two biggies are people who insist on moving around in the middle of a performance and those who feel the need to talk.

Post subject: Re: I would hope
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:27 am 
All Star
All Star

Mellowed wrote:
that if you had a man and woman being affectionate at a show, that you would think the same way. Were they making noise, too????

More often than not...it is the affection between two people of the same sex that makes someone uncomfortable while affection between the opposite sex gets no one's attention unless they literally have their tongues down each other's throat. People will not look twice if a man and woman hold hands walking down the street, two men or two women get stares and looks of disgust more often than not(try it sometime and you will see) 8-)

My two biggies are people who insist on moving around in the middle of a performance and those who feel the need to talk.

For my part, either two people of the same sex or a heterosexual couple carrying on in a public place would make me uncomfortable after a while. I might encourage them to get a room - quickly.

I have one for the "What WERE They Thinking?" column. At Whitewater on July 4th, I was watching the Racine Scouts when I heard this random, off the beat pounding. At first I thought it was some drummer warming up or tuning a drum, but it was too random for that. Then I spotted a toddler and a woman who I guess was his mother about 2 rows down and over one section. To keep him occupied, she had brought a small toy drum, and he was playing away with the folks on the field! Aaaaagh!

So, I took a breath, walked down there and quietly explained that I could hear that as plain as day, even as far away as I was. I then asked her if she could find some other thing for the boy to do.

Quiet applause greeted me when I returned to my seat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: That's too funny
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Well, actually not...good for you for doing that as that is not only distracting to the audience but potentially on the field as well....

The only other one I can think of..and it has not been that bad this year(maybe at one show it was), is other corps off warming up and hearing their metronome while another corps is on the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:39 pm 
All Star
All Star

The inconsiderate rudeness at the Dallas show came from some of the corps, corps members, and the people running the show. They had wamup areas way too close to the stadium so we heard metronomes throughout the first few shows. Then, through about the last 5-6 corps a sop from an earlier corps screeched and attempted high notes right behind the visiting side stands. Why did noone go tell him to stop?!!!!! It was the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced before at a show. . .and to think it came from a corps member. I would love to know who he/she marched with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy! (another one)

This is not really a rant! Is it?

You know, I miss seeing the Phantom Regiment Cadets (later known as the Phantom Legion) on the field. :cry:
I do NOT, however, miss being in the same stands with them. :lol:
For members of a competing corps, this was the most discourteous and disruptive bunch I have seen in any drum corps crowd. :?
They would run around, hollering and shouting at friends and family and each other until members of the crowd would insist that they sit down and shush up. :evil:
Well, they would sit, but the whole group would then chatter away incessantly, and the drummers invariably would have to try to play along with whatever corps was on the field. :twisted:
When it came time for them to gather for retreat, the crowd would breathe a collective sigh of relief as they departed. :cheers:
This went on for years, almost as if it was a corps tradition. (The only other group that came close to them in audience misbehavior was the mob of former members of PRC, who must've also been trying to keep the tradition.) :wink:
I once complained of this behavior to a couple of members of the Phantom board, and was more or less told to chalk it up to the kids' youthful exuberance in such a manner that it was almost as if they had told me, "Well, #@*& you very much." :shock:
So, I guess I miss them, but then again... :roll:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I'm gonna regret this...
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:45 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I have to comment on a previous reply that said, "I hope you would have been just as offended if it were a man & woman showing affection, etc..." I, for one, am going to say this. I would NOT find a man & woman showing affection as offensive (unless their tongues were down each other's throats) as two men. Why? Because homosexuality disgusts me. I am not afraid to say this. Maybe I should be, but I'm tired of homosexuals trying to make straight people feel like they HAVE to accept their lifestyle...WRONG!!
In the Holy Bible, it says that homosexuality is shameful. If God finds it shameful, then so will I.

Now, you're probably thinking..."Jeff's a maniac/bible thumper and a homophobe/ gay basher!!" Actually, I have had many gay friends, and don't mind at all being around someone who's gay. Now, I know this sounds assinine (sp?), but why? People aren't used to hearing straight people say what a lot of them are thinking.? I'm talking about gay people showing affection in public. I don't kiss my wife (My WIFE!!) in public, to be courteous to others, even though I feel I darn well have the RIGHT to...

Whoa!! Were did that rant come from??? I'm sorry, people. I am not to judge homosexuals, or anyone else, for that matter. I have plenty of problems myself. I have probably made a few enemies by posting this, but so be it. I will stand up for what I believe in. I just want everyone to know that I am not "Anti-homosexual". If you are homosexual, I will be your friend, and talk to you just like I would talk to anyone else...but please don't expect me to accept your behaviour....because I won't.

I apologize for posting this here. I know this belongs in the "Self-Therapy room"...or maybe it doesn't even belong there...maybe people aren't ready for this...I hope everyone doesn't hate me now, but I still stand on what I have said.

If you're interested in checking to see what I have said is true or not, here is the passage from the Bible I was referring to above: (New King James) Romans 1:26 & 27 -"For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due."

Again, I am no better than anyone out there. I am a struggling christian. I am not trying to preach to you on this board, but I guess I am...I just wanted to stand up for what I believe in, but in today's society, I'm sure I'll be labled an "extremist", or "homophobe". It's too bad, because God loves homosexuals. He hates the sin, not the sinner.

I apologize again. (I probably shouldn't be..) I know this is too serious a topic to be discussing on a drum corps board...guess I just needed to rant. Thanks for listening, though... :)

Post subject: Re: I'm gonna regret this...
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:54 am 
All Star
All Star

Cardman wrote:
I would NOT find a man & woman showing affection as offensive (unless their tongues were down each other's throats) as two men. Why? Because homosexuality disgusts me. I am not afraid to say this. Maybe I should be, but I'm tired of homosexuals trying to make straight people feel like they HAVE to accept their lifestyle...WRONG!! In the Holy Bible, it says that homosexuality is shameful. If God finds it shameful, then so will I.

That is your choice. Try to remember, though, that not everyone on the planet is Christian, nor does everyone follow the Bible. :twisted:

Personally, I think the whole concept of "accepting others lifestyles" is just ridiculous. People are different, and different people have different lifestyles. End of story. It's like gravity. You don't have to ACCEPT the law of gravity, but that's inconsequential since it exists regardless of how you feel. Likewise, you don't have to accept homosexuality, but that's equally inconsequential since it's not YOUR lifestyle (ie choice, ie business) and it also exists regardless of whether or not you think it should.

Basically, I'm just sick of Person A telling Person B that he's wrong because he's not doing everything the same way Person A is.

I don't think you're necessarily gay bashing... it's more like intolerant whinging. :roll:

Think of it this way... if it's okay for you to not accept others for being homosexuals, then it's okay for others to not accept YOU for being Christian.

Tolerance, people, tolerance. I'm perfectly willing to accept another person of any race, religion, sexual orientation, or anything else as long as they are comfortable with how they are living their lives and they aren't harming others in the process.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Yes, I am tolerant as well. As I mentioned, I have had many gay friends over the years. I used to hang out with them, just like I would with anyone else. And yes, Phantom Phan, you are exactly correct when you say that people do not have to accept my choice to be a christian. That's not what I was trying to do here. I was just trying to stand up for my beliefs. But, it's hard to stand up for your beliefs without sounding like you're saying, "You're all going to hell if you don't listen to me...." Instead of threatening hell and damnation, we should focus on the reward for following God, which is eternal life. After all, it is not me that people should listen to...they should listen to God. I pray that people reading this will read their Bibles and research what I am saying. Please, don't just take MY word for it.

I am just trying to relay the message of the Bible, which is God's word. If you look at my posts in the past, you will see that I am very even tempered (I hope...). :? I WANT people to know that I am a christian. You should see it in the way I live my life (if you lived around me, that is...) But, nobody's perfect. ESPECIALLY me...Please don't think I am taking on some "Holier than thou" attitude. I am in the same boat with EVERYONE....

I know I will be persecuted for my beliefs....so be it. In John Chapter 15, versus 18-20, Jesus says , "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you. 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you."

All I can do is try to recieve people with love and understanding and spread the message of God's word. I'm sorry if you feel that I am whining, but I am commanded to, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew, Chapter 28: versus 19&20

I hope that these words do not anger you, but give you more of an understanding of my beliefs. It is not my goal to threaten, or even lecture...but, the world has become so numb to sin. Violence is ever-present in the movies, and T.V. All the new shows seem to have sex in them. Look at T.V. programs 45 years ago... You didn't see the sex and violence and abusive language that you do in today's shows. I'm guilty of this "desensitization" also. Just the other night, my wife and I went to see X2. There was plenty of violence, and one of the characters (Mystique) was basically naked with paint being her only covering. I shouldn't be supporting these movies by purchasing tickets to them. I will have to pray to God to help me to be more reserved in my movie watching, and to guide my choices.

In closing, I care what happens to other people. I don't want ANYBODY to go to hell. Neither does God. Christ will send nobody to hell. Every person who will go to torment will go there of his choice and volition. We need to remember that Christ invites all that labor and are heavy laden to be saved (Matthew chapter 11:verse 28). Yet, he declares the unprofitable servant will be cast out! (Matthew chapter 25:verse 30). So with the Lord's help, I will remain a profitable servant, unto death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

Cardman wrote:
I was just trying to stand up for my beliefs. But, it's hard to stand up for your beliefs without sounding like you're saying, "You're all going to hell if you don't listen to me...."

The thing I am puzzling over is what spurred you to feel the need to stand up for your beliefs. I'm all for each and every person standing up for their beliefs, but unless we are dealing with a situation that directly affronts them I fail to see the need for that person to make a stand. Seeing two men kissing may offend you sense of morals and be in contrast with your religious beliefs, but it doesn't affront you (unless some other man is kissing YOU, of course): it's two OTHER people doing what they choose.

Quote:
Instead of threatening hell and damnation, we should focus on the reward for following God

That, at least we both agree, is a better approach.

Quote:
I WANT people to know that I am a christian. You should see it in the way I live my life (if you lived around me, that is...)

But maybe not everyone WANTS to know you are. I mean, after all, maybe some homosexuals WANT people to know that they are homosexual. You are saying it NOT okay for them to tell others what they are, but that it's perfectly okay for you to. True, you're doing it for different reasons and a different purpose, but the ACTION is still exactly the same. It is this "do as I say not as I do" line of thinking that is rife within Christianity that is the source of many of my issues with the religion.

Quote:
I know I will be persecuted for my beliefs....so be it. In John Chapter 15, versus 18-20, Jesus says , "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you. 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you."

I have absolutely no desire to persecute you, because it not my place (nor is it anyone's, in my belief system) to criticize the religious beliefs of another, whether they be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Pagan, Wiccan, or whatever.

Please also note that I am merely raising some of the questions and issues I have with the Christian religion. This is not tantamount to persecution: I am not preventing you from practicing your religion (nor do I have any desire to) and will simply drop the issue if you ask me to.

Quote:
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew, Chapter 28: versus 19&20

Hmm.

"Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men... And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew, Chapter 6: verses 1-2 & 5-6

Quote:
In closing, I care what happens to other people. I don't want ANYBODY to go to hell. Neither does God. Christ will send nobody to hell. Every person who will go to torment will go there of his choice and volition. We need to remember that Christ invites all that labor and are heavy laden to be saved (Matthew chapter 11:verse 28). Yet, he declares the unprofitable servant will be cast out! (Matthew chapter 25:verse 30). So with the Lord's help, I will remain a profitable servant, unto death.

Such is your choice. I have chosen to not be a servant. I do not believe this will condemn me to hell, either, for I believe God to be more affable and a far less demanding God than the Bible tries to tell me he is. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but that's the path I have chosen to live my life by. :wav:

Profile E-mail