The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I guess I spoke too soon.........
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:45 am 
All Star
All Star

The afternoon show at Indy was just fine and uneventful. Had some nice people sitting around us and even met some senior citizens from Kutztown, PA who were 1.) amazed that I pronounced Kutztown properly 2.) amazed that I had been to Kutztown and had eaten at the diner in town. Anyway it was fun to talk to them.

We went out during the break to eat and socialize with some friends. We decided to not return to our seats in sec. 114, row 21, seats 1 and 2 until 8pm when Boston was set to perform. So we come up, kick someone out of our seats, sit down, and almost IMMEDIATELY, I feel kicking on the back of my seat. This wasn't ordinary kicking or tapping. I was like the donkey from "Shrek" had taken off on my seat. So I looked at Jim and said, I am going to say something to those people because I cannot sit here for over two hours with that kicking at my back.

I turned around and saw it was a TWO year old. I said could you please get a handle on that, he's kicking my seat continuously. His mother said "I think he's being real good, he's a two year old". I said well, he is kicking my seat, I haven't even mentioned the screaming and whining YET. He's two years old, he shouldn't be here. he should be in bed." Then the grandmother decided to add her smarmy two cents. I said why didn't you get a babysitter cuz I don't see a father around. (After spending that quality time with them, I can see why neither one of them had a husband with them). Jim had a few choice words in their general direction. Mother proceded to tell us she knew Dan Acheson. Jim started to laugh and said I marched junior corps with him in Cincinnati, we were neighbors there and here. He said I've known him since we were kids so go get him! So then the younger woman took the child away for two corps. Smarmy grandma continued to talk loudly on cell phone.

Then toward the end of the show, mother returns with child who continues with worse than typical two year old behavior and them leaves again with child. Then I hear a male voice behind me saying we will be evicted from our seats for giving them a hard time about their two year old. Then I turn around and see it's my old buddy of 22 years who volunteers for DCI. I'm madder than heck that he said that and I tell him so in no uncertain words that I do not take "crap" (altho I used the more colorful venacular) from anybody including him. After the hugs, kisses, and shaking of hands, he starts back pedaling and then I feel that lovely feeling that you get when your butt is being kissed. If you could have seen smarmy grandma and mother's faces, it was worth tearing up a lottery ticket. It was like the planets all lined up.

After Al left and Cavies were done, they decided to leave. My parting shot: I looked at mother and said "I guess that didn't turn out the way you thought it would" as they scurried from the stadium like two cockroaches when the light is turned on.

My last word. Unless your two year old is of exemplary behavior, does not become incorrigible at 11pm, then get a baby sitter. Or stay home and raise your kid. I had to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:15 am 
All Star
All Star

It's a wonder they didn't go looking for someone from the ACLU!
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:22 am 
All Star
All Star

Terri and Jim, what a shame you had to go through that. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when Drums on Parade was at Whitewater. I was listening to one of the smaller corps when I began hearing a tinny, rhythmic pounding at intervals. At first I thought someone was warming up too close to the stadium. Then, I realized it was a toddler playing a toy drum that Mom had brought along. Good instincts - keep the child occupied - but bad choice! Fortunately, she understood completely when I asked her to have him stop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 am 
All Star
All Star

Heh. Go for it!

I've met, in my years in drum corps, some of the most intelligent people and some of the most moronic.

I'll have to go with the downside last night.

And Jim, at least your parent was considerate and tried to alleviate the situation. These people thought Jim and I should leave our $45 each seats so the child could have full reign. And when the rude people left, the people around us practically applauded and patted us on the backs.

Sorry, like I told Al, I don't put up with crap anymore. Why? I'm almost 50 years old. I could be taking a dirt nap today and why would I spend my last day on earth allowing some young mother and grandma bullying me?

JMHO. As always........

Dan Kelly wrote:
It's a wonder they didn't go looking for someone from the ACLU!
Dan Kelly