The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:18 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I like most of what Phantom Phan has to say. I do agree to each his own. However, do not deny me the same rights you enjoy as a heterosexual. If I want to marry another man, then so be it. You may not like it and that is fine, but you are not living my life. I should enjoy all of the freedoms you do as an American- which I mostly do- however, if I want to marry another man - no law should keep me from doing so. People say "special rights"....what is so special about wanting to be treated the same as everyone else?

Post subject: Just responding....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:59 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I never said you CAN'T be homosexual. God gave us free will, and we CHOOSE to do whatever we want. I was saying that the Bible says for a man to lay with another man is abomination. You can choose to do whatever you want.

My whole point in posting about this is to try to get the word out, because you never hear people talking about the Bible outside of church. You just don't hear the 9 o'clock news talk about the Bible. I am commanded to spread the gospel (Matt. 28:19-20), so that is what I will do. Some people, such as yourself, may not like this, but I will do God's work regardless. I am not trying to offend people here. This is what the Bible says. I have made a stand on this issue so that maybe those who are sinning and don't realize it can research for themselves as to what the Bible says, and change their lives.

As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)

Post subject: I hear ya
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:25 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The Bible has some good stuff in it. It has also been so abused and misused by people to justify their actions. The Bible says "Judge lest ye be judged"-yet we all do it and some righteously so. Slavery was justified by the Bible way back when. It has also been translated so as to probably change alot of the literal meaning of the contents.

My relationship with God is mine and not any others to judge or say that I am not a "true believer"(trust me, many churches, especially of the fundamental kind will put themselves on a pedestal as the better Christians). They can believe as they wish, but do not judge my relationship with God as being weaker or less than.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:25 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I support Cardman in standing up for his beliefs. If one believes the Bible is the unerrant Word of God, as I do, then there are certain moral absolutes that must be adhered to in order to live a life that is pleasing to Him. In these days of "situational morality" there are no fundamental truths to rely on. Every issue is a gray area with no right or wrong.I choose to rely on those that God put in His Word. I am not always successful; in fact, I fall short more often than not.
Please do not mistake this for a rant. I just want to applaud Cardman for taking a stand in his beliefs. That is not an easy thing to do and I believe he has expressed himself with great skill and in an attitude of love. Some of the the things our Christian faith requires of us is not popular with the world. We just have to express ourselves always through love, the way Christ did. So many of our brothers who profess to be Christians are anything but! And they have have done more to hurt the cause of Christ than any other event in history. Keep the faith Cardman! :)

West Monroe High School
West Monroe, LA
"All true knowledge comes from sustained contact with the subject matter."-Dr. Tom Fraschillo

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:35 am 
Veteran
Veteran

euphjock wrote:
So many of our brothers who profess to be Christians are anything but! And they have have done more to hurt the cause of Christ than any other event in history.

I agree with this part of your statement. While to make mistakes or errors is human, the do as I say not as I do mentality exists so much. I see plenty of double standards out there with regards to religion/spirituality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:16 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The mentality you refer to is given credence in the Bible. Jesus said that there would be people who profess to be Christians and even profesy and cast out demons in His name (in modern times, that could be any number of people, ie. those that spout ideology yet refuse to live by it, people who give to the Church but refuse to follow Christ's example, etc.) Christ said He would tell them to leave, that He never knew them. He even calls them evildoers. So, yes there will be many on the fringes who just pay lip service to God. But sadly they will not not gain the ultimate reward...eternal life in heaven. I sense that Cardman is not just paying lip service but is truthfully seeking to do God's will in standing up for his beliefs.

West Monroe High School
West Monroe, LA
"All true knowledge comes from sustained contact with the subject matter."-Dr. Tom Fraschillo

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Bam...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

euphjock wrote:
The mentality you refer to is given credence in the Bible. Jesus said that there would be people who profess to be Christians and even profesy and cast out demons in His name (in modern times, that could be any number of people, ie. those that spout ideology yet refuse to live by it, people who give to the Church but refuse to follow Christ's example, etc.) .

The two that quickly come to my mind are Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell amongst many other tele- evangelists. And of course, we can never forget the likes of Jim Baker and Swagert(I think). And for that matter, many, but not all, of the born again type consider themselves superior Christians- and if they think God has something waiting for me on judgement day- I think they had better look in their rearview mirror. My biggest laugh is hate the sin not the sinner. I know plenty of Episcopalians, Presbyterians and such that are more Christian- and have far more the capability of interpreting the Bible. Also, I highly doubt someone is able to follow the Bible word for word- and not have some contradiction- yet pass it off as "I am only human" and then turn around and judge someone else. To be quite honest, I do not think Christ ever meant to be the martyr he is made into-and I do not think he meant to have the following that he has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:48 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Mellowed, there was only one sinless person, one capable of living a life not free from temptation, but able to resist anything that was not God's will for Him. That would be Christ. You see, we born again types believe that Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. Christ experienced the same feelings, etc. that you and I experience. That is why I believe that God understands our situation. I don't mean He condones what we do but He understands the tremendous temptation to sin that exists. That is why he gives us the power through Christ to resist. It is not like conforming to a rigid set of rules or die. It is like doing something your Father wants you to do because you love Him, the same way a little child would like to make his or her parents proud. It is hard in this forum to fully explain.
I believe Christ surely knew the importance of His life. He said to His disciples that He was the way, the truth, and the life. He said, "No one comes to the Father except through Me." He knew what was coming ( His crucifixion) and alluded to it to others. Yet he never tried to get out of it. He did ask God to remove this cup if it be His will, but that is all. He also knew that he would rise again after three days, that through the martyrdom of His sinless life he would pay the price for the sins of the world. You bet He knew.

As for your statement that you know many others of other denominations who are far more capable of interpreting the Bible, I can only agree. I am involved in a prison ministry called Kairos that is made up of Christians of all denominations including Episcopalians and Presbyterians, and I can safely say that the cause of Christ is in good hands. While there are many charlatans out there, there are also many who seek to do God's will humbly. It is those people who will make a difference in the world. If we can just love one another as Christ loves us and do all things through the filter of that love we can do great things and not be hypocrites.

West Monroe High School
West Monroe, LA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ok
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:50 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I guess I should clarify that I think Christ led a life that many see as one to emulate. That is not a bad thing; it is a good thing. I do not know if he had any idea what it would possibly lead to- meaning I do not think he intended for the extreme( that's just my opinion) followers, but to only be an example. My other problem I have perceived is that , my uncle( I have heard others too), who is a born again Christian, sees Hindus, Budhists, Muslims and other religions as sinners. That, in my opinion is so wrong- Sorry, but the Jesus I know would have a problem with that. I do not have a problem with anyone's religion- I mean I know of one that worships trees. I have a problem with the ones who want to actively recruit-which actually makes it more occult than anything. There is no problem with spreading the word of one's religion, but to condemn and spread guilt with the mentality of you'll be saved if you believe as I do- otherwise you are bound for hell- is not right. Fear is a wrong tactic to use. Unfortunately, these are the things that give the more fundamental aspects of Christianity a bad name, because this is the message that you constantly hear-it's a big turnoff( yet you will hear..well, yeah , Jesus wasn't popular in his day either). I also believe that Catholicism has done its share of damage too. It is so based on guilt and shame- with the tenant that you are born with sin-is so wrong. What a message: You are not good enough for this world- that obviously God meant for you to be in...let's see..whose right here???

Well enough..thanks for keeping this civil..do not know if I have really done the same. My intent is not to insult, maybe I have failed. I think it is cool you are in the prisons. Between spirituality and programs(12 step) to help the masses in prisons who predominantly are there due to drug and alcohol related problems, it can only be a good thing that there are people who are not willing to give up on people who society has long forgotten. I was a former computer software instructor in a county jail, and as I change professions(nursing school this next fall), I can honestly see myself going back that route or to nonprofit organizations that help people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:00 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Yes, enough. you have kept this very civil. I understand your position very well and I would never condemn you for it. I also would never personally condemn anyone who is of another faith. Christ commanded us to love one another...period. But I also do not believe that God is on the top of the mountain and that everyone is going up their own separate path to Him. I believe He sent His Son to show us the way. I am sorry and ashamed that so many people who call themselves Christians do evrything but live as He taught us. That doesn't mean to accept every type of behavior but to above all love one another and to share the Good News that Jesus brought to us so that none may perish but all would have eternal life. Thanks for your insight and honest opinions. Take care.

West Monroe High School
West Monroe, LA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: A little off Topic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:03 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I applaude you for openly discussing your views and opinions in a civil and dignified way. However for those off us wishing to discuss our rants regarding behavior at shows, this post seems to have gotten off topic. Why don't you take your thread to a new post, and let us get on about the business of complaining about stand behavior. :)

I haven't been to a show in a couple of years but in the mid to late 90's whenever the Scouts where on the field there was always someone screaming about being wet or dripping wet that normally occured during a pause in the ballad. Is that still happening? Whenever I listen to my 96 CD I can still distinctly hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Actually, you may be thinking about BD. Year after year in the 90s. I can think of specifically one time -- 1994, right before the drum break "I'm STILL wet!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:43 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Hey Chris You were completely right it was BD, Something was yelled during the scouts show in 96 but for the life of me I couldn't make it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:26 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, "I'M STILL WET" and variations appeared during BD performances throughout the mid-90s. I *believe* it's a reference to the 1994 Quarterfinals deluge, in which the top eight corps were rained out and automatically seeded into Semifinals. If I recall correctly, the Devils gave a standstill performance that night that just about rocked the stadium apart.

This is little more than supposition on my part, though. Any current or former Devils members want to help me out here? Am I on track or not?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:31 am 
All Star
All Star

JenMagic wrote:
Something was yelled during the scouts show in 96 but for the life of me I couldn't make it out.

"SPANK ME!!"
"SHUT UP!!"

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next