The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I hear ya
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:06 am 
All Star
All Star

Sorry I missed this when it came out, just had to note a few things:

Mellowed wrote:
The Bible says "Judge [not] lest ye be judged"-yet we all do it and some righteously so.

The FULL verse says "Judge not, lest you be judged, for whatever measure you use will be measured out upon you." (I hate quotes that don't record even a complete sentence! ^_^; )

Since the Bible also claims to be the yardstick be which God will judge us all ANYWAY, then theoretically 1) if that's the only measure one uses, and 2) one uses it accurately and doesn't change/modify/leave out/add in stuff while you're doing it... doesn't that also mean that you aren't really hurting yourself if you judge others using ONLY the Bible as your yardstick?
Quote:
Slavery was justified by the Bible way back when.

It was NEVER "justified" by the Bible, just never condemned (the fact that wishful thinkers try to justify their actions with words that DON'T notwithstanding). In addition, the slavery of that day and age differed from the slavery of the American Antebellum period in MANY ways, most importantly in the aspects of not being race-based, being more of an economic status and less a social one, and not being permanent or hereditary (unless being punished for a crime(s) one could usually earn one's own freedom, and one's children were NOT automatically the property of one's master).
Quote:
It has also been translated so as to probably change alot of the literal meaning of the contents.

:roll: I know people say this, sometimes very intelligent people. IT IS NOT THE TRUTH. Don't take my word for it, if it's important to you in either direction, go do the research for yourself, be thorough, and be honest. Yes, translation from one language to the next always makes for some innacuracies of connotation and feel, but it does NOT guarantee that what's being translated cannot be understood in the next language. Far from it. Anyone who knows more than one language with any degree of fluency can tell you this.

Oh yeah, and although the book's been translated into a bazillion different languages a bazillion different times, IT HAS NOT BEEN TRANSLATED FROM LANGUAGE TO LANGUAGE TO LANGUAGE, ETC. We have the original writings (or near enough to them as makes no difference) in their original tongues, it's only one step from there to English/Russian/Hindi/pick a language.

euphjock wrote:
So many of our brothers who profess to be Christians are anything but! And they have have done more to hurt the cause of Christ than any other event in history.

I have long believed that "Christians" are their own worst enemies. Even the sincere ones often do not know their own scriptures well enough to defend them or their origins (let alone their own practices and beliefs), they change their scriptures seemingly at whim ("Well, yeah it SAYS that, but what it MEANS is..."), and they seemingly cannot enter into religious discussions with the attititude that they MIGHT be wrong about some of the things they THINK they know. (Homosexuality, for instance, is not even ONCE condemned as an "orientation." Bet you didn't know that, a lot of you. Homosexual ACTS, on the other hand, well....)

If you're going to hold to a religion (or any other significant world viewpoint) at least know it well enough that you can LOOK UP the answer to a question someone asks about it. The next person that says to me "You've just gotta have more FAITH," instead of actually trying to find an answer is going to get me riled UP, I tell ya.

Between that and the misquoted/misrepresented scripture/history/science out there, it's no wonder there's a million different faiths, and it's no wonder so many people are so confused.

:oops: Sorry, Jen! :oops: Just had to satisfy a pet peeve there. Differences of opinion don't bug me a whole bunch, but arguments/discussions that are made from incorrect/incomplete information grate on my last nerve.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, "I'M STILL WET" and variations appeared during BD performances throughout the mid-90s. I *believe* it's a reference to the 1994 Quarterfinals deluge, in which the top eight corps were rained out and automatically seeded into Semifinals. If I recall correctly, the Devils gave a standstill performance that night that just about rocked the stadium apart.

This is little more than supposition on my part, though. Any current or former Devils members want to help me out here? Am I on track or not?

Actually, there was an "I'm wet!" during BD 92 and another "I'm dripping wet" in another BD show after 94. It's just a progression of wetness and nothing to do with 94 qfinals. Sort of like the guys who yell "What a manuever" for Cadets every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:32 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Everything I'll say about the Bible...

If it's the Word of God, then why are there so many religions that follow the same book? Can God's Word even POSSIBLY be open to interpretation? Well, NO. I don't understand why there are so many conflicting variations of Christianity fighting over the meaning of the SAME BOOK. Whether the Bible is credible or not (remember, the ink that wrote it came from people who have their own agendas, such as keeping women in the home to serve their husbands), or whether any religion has "got it" and is doing the right thing, I can't say. I just can't trust people who feel that they need to run the lives of strangers. Until God Himself/Herself comes to me and offers some pointers, I'll continue doing my best to be a good, honest person.

Quick summary of what I'll say about homosexuality vs. christianity:
Homosexual couples, biologically, can't procreate very easily, so they can't produce more followers for a religion. As far as the church is concerned, that's not good for business, so the church takes the position of condemning homosexuality.

What I think of homosexuality:
I cannot begin to understand how it's regarded anywhere NEAR the same kind of sin as violence. Since when is it just as awful to love someone as it is to blow their brains out? Can anyone truly believe that a gay man or lesbian actually CHOOSES to take the risk of being shunned, beaten, fired, kicked out of the house, or killed, JUST BECAUSE they're gay? I don't know about you, but I can't imagine anyone who would "choose that lifestyle".

All I know is that I'm going to stand by my best friend's side as she marries her girlfriend. Love never fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

You're right Leland. There's alot of hate for something as simple as love. I don't understand it either. That, combined with many other flaws I find in various religions is why I choose to avoid it altogether and just try to be a good person on this planet.

Post subject: Re: Rude, Inconsiderate people at Drum Corps Shows
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:13 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

B(b)Shetts wrote:
OK, I am going to go on a rant here! :x

Is it me or are people getting more rude at shows?

Here is what I had to deal with in Indy:

Sitting in front of me:

A family of 5. Mom, Dad, and 4 daughters aged approximately 13, 9, 6 and 6 months. That's right! 6 months old! Now who on earth could think that they could take a 6 month old baby to 2 DC shows totaling 8 hours in that boomy dome and not have problems. Furthermore the only ones interested in the show was Dad and the oldest daughter so a couple of corps into the afternoon show and continuing throughout the night we had crying baby, musical chairs, fidget, fidget, fidget, up and down, in and out ad infinitum. Very distracting to everyone around them.

Sitting behind me:

A group of 6-8 young people with corps ties talking (at times loudly) in a foreign language (French I believe) during the first 2-3 corps performances. A few dirty looks soon got the message across but several reminders had to be issued throughout the afternoon/evening!

Sitting next to me:

Two openly gay gentlemen who didn't mind at all displaying their affection for one another (massaging thighs, hugging, kissing). OK, flame away! I am not against gays but I do believe that discretion is the better part of valor!

Add to all of that the RCA Dome is a terrible place to listen to DC (if after 24 performances you don't have a headache in that place, you are superhuman), the lines for the restrooms and concessions were very long and leaving or returning to your seat was an adventure (due to the incredibly small space between rows) the entire experience (except for the incredible performances by all of the corps) was less than ideal.

Maybe this is just another example of how society seems to be changing towards behavior which is inconsiderate of others (I will not go to a movie theatre for many of the same issues listed above) but I for one am tired of the lack of consideration a lot of people seeem to exhibit for others.

OK, Rant ended!

B(b)Shetts

Getting back to the original rant, drum corps has always had it's share of inconsiderate fans and spectators, as you can hear on just about every recording from past performances. The problem IMO is the continuing decline of sound intensity. While unruly crowds and talking during performances rarely if ever upset me, anemic hornlines are first to piss me off. Bring back the loud and full sound intensity of old and you can kiss your rants goodbye,.....I wonder if this is an issue at DCA shows...LOL!

Felix Hernandez
Baritone/Euphonium
Alumni 8-)
1977-78 Anaheim Kingsmen
1979 Blue Devils

1979 Blue Devils - DCI Champions

Ballsy Hornline Coming To A Stadium Near You in 2006!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Other drum corps rant!

I went to corps show last year. And I cant beleive how bad this family was during the whole show. This family consists of about 8 members. Mom, Dad, 1 daughter, 2 sons and their girlfriends and 3 yr son. The whole time there they were unrespectful and talking about things that I thought was inacceptable during the show and etc. I never had to ask them to please be quiet about 8 times. I think that would attend and only there to talk about something else shoulnt even attend the corps shows.

:twisted: :evil: :wink: :roll:

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject: Reason For The Ruckus!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:34 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

FohiPitInstructor wrote:

Other drum corps rant!

I went to corps show last year. And I cant beleive how bad this family was during the whole show. This family consists of about 8 members. Mom, Dad, 1 daughter, 2 sons and their girlfriends and 3 yr son. The whole time there they were unrespectful and talking about things that I thought was inacceptable during the show and etc. I never had to ask them to please be quiet about 8 times. I think that would attend and only there to talk about something else shoulnt even attend the corps shows.

:twisted: :evil: :wink: :roll:

Of course this is just my opinion, but maybe they were a little bored and could not disseminate the difference between drum corps and marching bands. When horns are blaring and the wall of sound is peeling the skin off your face, you have very little time or reason to rant...try it sometime...go to a DCA show. But to take the balls out of drum corps and then complain because you cannot hear the corps on the field is the height of hypocrisy and also very humorous to those who said "I told you so."

Felix Hernandez
Baritone/Euphonium
Alumni 8-)
1977-78 Anaheim Kingsmen
1979 Blue Devils

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:20 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Felix,

Am I allowed to post in this tread?
Should I be taking this whole subject as advice on how I should behave in the future?
I wondered why I have been taken off the mailing lists of all the Shows, and they keep telling me that DCI is in Enid Oklahoma every year??????

The un-opinionated, reserved and well mannered………

Mummert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 am 
All Star
All Star

:D

/reminded of the Aunt Blabby columns that appeared in Drum Corps World in the 1980s.

Post subject: Great To Hear The Old Mummert!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:15 am 
Veteran
Veteran

srmumz wrote:
Felix,

Am I allowed to post in this tread?
Should I be taking this whole subject as advice on how I should behave in the future?
I wondered why I have been taken off the mailing lists of all the Shows, and they keep telling me that DCI is in Enid Oklahoma every year??????

The un-opinionated, reserved and well mannered………

Mummert

Mummert,

I have heard whining in my days but this really takes the cake hands down....shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! We might miss the clarinet solo and the amps are unplugged...LOL! I guess we have both finally had enough. The next thing you know, uniforms will be color coded to fit the theme of the show with full narration........that idea alone would make me a drum corps legend by todays standards. And as far as the crying kids and out-of-control toddlers.....they say wisdom comes from the mouths of babes....I can relate to their agony....LOL! Great to read your posts my friend.

Felix Hernandez
Baritone/Euphonium
Alumni 8-)
1977-78 Anaheim Kingsmen
1979 Blue Devils

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:16 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

OK HERE I GO.......

First of all this thread started out discussing rude people at shows. Let me start with that.

1)Foul language is out of line. No matter what we say about it, Drum Corps is and will always be a family environment and some idiot dropping 'F' bombs sitting behind an unsuspecting spectator who is trying to enjoy a show with his children is just wrong.

2) Yelling at the top of your lungs, though in support of a particular corps, or directed at any person on the field is part of drum corps and is completely acceptable.....as long as it is not during a solo, or when someone else is yelling something funny. (only one at a time people)
wait your turn!

Now on to what I really want to talk about........Lets start a couple of new threads called "where is drum corps headed" and what does the acronym "DCI" really stand for????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:01 pm 
All Star
All Star

I had some thoughts on this affair. I believe Srmumz summed it up better than I could. Believe me this behavior is not limited to DCI. I got jumped once after our team lost a football game. A football parent didn't like the the way my band played the fight song. Blamed the band for the loss..........Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:28 pm 
All Star
All Star

I've been to eight shows this year. Besides one place, everyone's been great. The family in front of me at Mich City was a little chatty but nothing intolerable. They were just having fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

I don't think most serious fans mind light chatter during the show when it's about the show, is quiet and brief, and is respectful. After all, people go to have a good time, not study in a library. What bugs serious fans about chatter is when it has nothing to do with the drum corps show or it's otherwise directly disrespectful to the corps performing. There have been a number of complaints on Sound Machine about fan behavior this year in reviews. I'm glad your eight experiences, Terri, have been positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:35 am 
All Star
All Star

Actually, some of the worst behavior I've seen is from some of the kids in the corps who come up and sit in the stands. I thought was gonna have to smack some kids from MY kids own corps(not Southwind, the other corps he was in 8-) ) a few years ago at Dekalb. I did walk up to them and say, "ya know, when you have that corps jacket on and you act like a buffoon, everyone knows where you're from".

They toned it down a bit after that.

I've also had some bad experiences with staff members acting goofy. I remember one time in particular again at Dekalb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next