* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SM Traffic on Finals night
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:14 am 
All Star
All Star

Hey Dave,

I was somewhat surprised to see that our record for most users online was not broken. (Admittedly, many SM members were in Orlando!!) Last year's Finals night peaked at 63. How close was it this year?

2002: :compute: :compute: :compute: :compute: :compute: :compute: (63)

2003: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: How close was it?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:37 pm 
Director
Director

Not very! It might have been as high as 30 or 40.

There are several reasons... first off, DCI changed their reporting method for the scores. There used to be a way to get the scores on finals night as they were announced. This year... no way! Most people hung out waiting for me to post each scores as it became known, but I couldn't do that this year. Second, DCP has basically locked up the market for drum corps disscusion. I don't have the time, money or the desire to market this site as heavily as George does DCP. Plus I live too far away from the power base of drum corps to be effective in that anyway. George has made DCP into a full time business, Sound Machine's site is my hobbie. I have a real job that I still must fullfill. I mean look at what happen when SM posters tried to setup a get together in Orlando. George logged onto that thread and invited them all the go to DCP's get together instead. I thought that was tacky, so I guess I can't win!

I'll see what improvements I can make to Sound Machine's site to make it more enjoyable for folks to visit. Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:51 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Dave,
I think you do a wonderful job here with SM with the little time that you have. As far as the "SM Get Together" in Orlando.....I was stuck in the I-4 traffic trying to get from Universal Studios back to downtown. Unfortunately I missed it, but did make it back to my hotel to get ready in time for Semis......I didn't go to DCP's get together either, mainly because I don't know that many people over there and didn't sign up for it.

Just keep your chin up Dave and remember, everytime DCP is down, you know where their posters run to.... :D :blonde:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How close was it?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

Bandmaster wrote:

There are several reasons... first off, DCI changed their reporting method for the scores. There used to be a way to get the scores on finals night as they were announced. This year... no way! Most people hung out waiting for me to post each scores as it became known, but I couldn't do that this year. Second, DCP has basically locked up the market for drum corps disscusion. I don't have the time, money or the desire to market this site as heavily as George does DCP. Plus I live too far away from the power base of drum corps to be effective in that anyway. George has made DCP into a full time business, Sound Machine's site is my hobbie. I have a real job that I still must fullfill. I mean look at what happen when SM posters tried to setup a get together in Orlando. George logged onto that thread and invited them all the go to DCP's get together instead. I thought that was tacky, so I guess I can't win!

I'll see what improvements I can make to Sound Machine's site to make it more enjoyable for folks to visit. Any suggestions?

Dave, you run a great site! Although I visit DCP often, this is always my first stop when surfin corps sites.

Sorry to hear about the tactics of others. I thought they would have been above such.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:48 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Sound Machine will always be my site.

I only go to DCP as a backup. I find most of their threads have one or two good posts, then a bunch of posters hijack the thread and turn it into back-slapping "hey wasssup, your mamma is ugly" type of stuff. I also notice too many people ready to jump on others. I've never read RAMD, but I fear DCP is in danger of heading in the direction of that reputation.

I didn't see George's post inviting people to go to their gathering instead. That really is tacky. Next year, in Denver, it's a Sound Machine Gathering for me or nothing (I would have felt that way with or without that post from George, btw).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Dave, you really are the TOPS! Thank you so much for bringing us this wonderful site! :bow: :)(:

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Last edited by Marianne on Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:26 pm 
All Star
All Star

Here, here!! You do a bang up job with everything (especially chasing off the riff-raff!!)

And I can count the times I went to DCP this season on one hand. :wav: I will remain loyal to the cause for as long as you can keep up with your hobby. Thanks again for providing us a great environment to share our passion!!

I'm not into all that smooching stuff like Marianne :oops: - besides you're not my type. :) So I'll just raise a glass instead!! :cheers:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:00 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

*smooches Jazzman just out of orneriness* :twisted:

:)(:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How close was it?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Bandmaster wrote:

This is the number one site for me. I don't see the need to change a thing.

You've got me curious, though. How is DCP being marketed? If lots of resources have been dropped into the effort, I haven't noticed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Dave, you've got te best site period. RAMD is horrible and DCP is juvenile. Which re-enforces my basic belief, there's no place like home.
Keep up the good work.

Travis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:15 am 
All Star
All Star

Ditto on what everyone else said.

SM is like the little independent foreign film everyone likes better than the high gloss, no-substance blockbuster hollywood movie (DCP).

I guess that would make RAMD the drum corps version of the Jerry Springer show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:42 am 
All Star
All Star

Marianne wrote:
*smooches Jazzman just out of orneriness* :twisted:

:)(:

Hey, that was kinda nice!! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

Crown Alto 1990 wrote:
Ditto on what everyone else said.

SM is like the little independent foreign film everyone likes better than the high gloss, no-substance blockbuster hollywood movie (DCP).

I guess that would make RAMD the drum corps version of the Jerry Springer show.

I agree wholeheartedly... :wav:

And I wish I had said that... :lol:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:40 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Hey, me three on what everyone says. We got a bunch of very smart people here and the fortunate thing is that there is not a bunch of snobby intelectualizing ad nauseum going on about the state of the activity here at Soundmachine. Everyone here supports each other. Got to admit on occasion I find I just have to put my 2 cents in at DCP when someone needs to get their facts straight, but this is the site I feel most comfortable at. Thanks Dave.

P.S. Hey Marianne! Since Finals is less that a year away now :wink: , I nominate you to scout out the place for the Soundmachine get together! I'll be coming down to help the Corps drive home and I would love to meet everyone. I will definately try to be there. Should be easier to get to than at Orlando :D

If DCI won't do it, then WE have to do it...
Support Open Class Corps!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:55 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Maggie wrote:
Hey, me three on what everyone says. We got a bunch of very smart people here and the fortunate thing is that there is not a bunch of snobby intelectualizing ad nauseum going on about the state of the activity here at Soundmachine. Everyone here supports each other. Got to admit on occasion I find I just have to put my 2 cents in at DCP when someone needs to get their facts straight, but this is the site I feel most comfortable at. Thanks Dave.

P.S. Hey Marianne! Since Finals is less that a year away now :wink: , I nominate you to scout out the place for the Soundmachine get together! I'll be coming down to help the Corps drive home and I would love to meet everyone. I will definately try to be there. Should be easier to get to than at Orlando :D

Maggie, LancerFi and I were waiting for you to contact us.......although after Blue Devils finished for their finals performance, we sat up in the press box.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:33 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Maggie wrote:

I don't know if you can trust me. I might just pick a place near me, which is about 35 miles from Denver! :wink:

Hopefully, someone that knows Downtown Denver better than me can come up with a few ideas. I would be happy to make phone calls to nominated places to see if they can handle us. But, since I don't get to Denver very often, I don't know how good I'll be at scouting! But, I can always help out!

Actually, meeting up near my place could be fun. Since all the places around Denver could be crowded (but it would be a fun crowded, as long as it was crowded with drum corps people!). If we met further away from the stadium, we could then caravan down I-25 into Denver!

Profile E-mail