The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memories of The 4th Grey Band Cadets ...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:31 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Congrats to you all on the new format. I'm glad to see that Marianne's dedication to this Board earned her a place on the 'team'. It's a shame that the new format will not allow us to mess with the head of 'Dave the Soundmachine Guy' by going for a new 'grey band' record by following the same thread but that's progress for you - I'm sure Dave doesn't miss it. This brings me on to the subject of my old friends from this site ...
What happened to Bob? and to the very nice gentleman who ran the Bugles across America thing? And what about the Cybercorps project, what came of that?
Feeling guilty at missing the winter season :roll: and turning up as the season starts to hot up ...
P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:47 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Hi there!

Well, Bob/Mike has registered here, and made one post I believe. He's around, but busy as a staff memeber with the San Diego Alliance.

Tom Day is registered too, but is VERY busy with BAA (there's a link to a very nice website for BAA in the drop down box above).

The cybercorps kind of whittled down with interest waning over the off season. But Tom Day is planning a playing of TAPS on the steps of the capital, and a few other things. So there is still something going on there. Just not an all out jam like we wanted to do.

You can still see the old "longest thread" if you go to the old discussion board. To the left is a link "SSGB Tribute." You can view it, but not post to it. I think we ended up getting to 13 or 14 Grey Bands on that one! It's fun to go back and read some of the posts (some of the links to the posts don't work anymore), and see what fun we had. With this new board up, I somehow think the SSGB Tribute link will fade away when the old board does. What a great guy Dave is to keep that up for us to view for so long.

Glad to see you back.
The SSGB lives on......

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Last edited by Marianne on Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Mess with Dave will ya...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:02 am 
Director
Director

Oh, now I get it, you all like make more work for me, eh! :wink:

Welcome back Paul :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Idea!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

How about if we see how many PAGES a thread can go? It's not quite as unique as the "Grey Bar Cadets" thread, but it is something.

Lets give this board the once over and stretch this thread until it can't take anymore! We'll ALL be veterans shortly. Let's see what kind of board Dave has set up by pushing the limits of this beast!

The guantlet is thrown, the gloves are off, the challenge presented. Are we up to it? Is Dave's board up to it???

Let's do it!!!!!!
:mrgreen:

Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

Just taking my own advice :roll:

Post subject: I'm on for that ...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:49 am 
Veteran
Veteran

OK Mr Saber, I'm on for that - but we should try to talk about SOMETHING ...
So, when did you march Troopers?
On another matter, how does this rookie/vet thing work - do you have to post a certain number of messages to become a vet?
Cheers,
P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:41 am 
All Star
All Star

Hey, no need to be so formal, calling me Mr. Sabers. You can just call me by me first name, Cross :wink:

I played multi-tenors for the Troopers in 1982 and was on staff in '83 & '87. As far as the board ratings go, Dave gave the outline on how many posts it takes to achieve the next level. I believe that 0-25 = New Recruit; 25 - 99 = Rookie, etc. When you reach your 100th post, you are elevated to Veteran status. There are several levels above that but I don't remember them off hand.

Regards,

Tom
8)

Post subject: Memories of 1982
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:15 am 
Veteran
Veteran

OK Mr Cross - I have a habit of calling everybody Mr/Ms - its a Euro-thing. Besides, aren't you Troopers supposed to be traditionalists?
1982 was my first year in Corps. a friend recently e-mailed me a link to a photo of me at 14-years of age playing a piston/rota soprano in 1982! You know I probably have a tape of Troopers 1982 at home somewhere. Was that the year you had that excellent sop soloist and you played that really cool piece from the film 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid' or was that 1983?
And you were on the staff in 1987 when I marched BAC. Boston and Troopers had some fun in those days trying to out-psyche each other on the traditionalist stakes ...

Post subject: 1982
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

In 1982 we had a young soprano soloist named Chris Eble. He went on to win I&E in '85. I believe he was only 15 or 16 in '82. I remember him coming to Casper late, after we were already into all-days. There was a buzz around the corps about this "kid". He didn't disappoint.

We played "South American Getaway" from Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid in 1982. I think it was a Singers Unlimited arrangement firom the soundtrack. That had been and still is one of my favorite movies and I had the soundtrack at home, so I was thrilled to play this piece. We also got to do some faux brush work using puffy mallets on the tenors during the jazz-waltz section. It was a fun show and fairly well received. I glad you even remember it!.

Yeah, I remember BAC in '87. Did we stay at the same site at one time? Maybe that was 82 or 83, I don't remember. I do remember some intense BAC drum line rehearsals with a fair amount of push-ups when we were in the area. I'm sure that an extra amount of intensity was given knowing that we were watching!

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids - Troopers vets?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:34 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Are Troopers that old?! :lol:
I agree - it's a great movie with an excellent sound track. Now I know the name of the Artist I might try to track down a copy - Thanks!

I don't remember Troopers and BAC staying at the same site but we stood next to each in retreat a few times and did a few 'harmless' things to wind each other up - probably considered unacceptable behaviour today (going by some of the flames I've had in past years when trying to defend BAC's position). Nothing wrong with some harmless rivalry and nothing disrespectful involved.