Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swine Flu
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:54 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Why doesn't the government just put out a bulletin saying, "If you've been to Mexico in the last 6 months, please report." They should get an examination to see if they have the virus. The problem with the flu is it doesn't hit you until about 24 hours later. Thus the spreading occurs.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Swine Flu
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:36 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I've been to Mexico three times in the past six months. I feel fine though. I went to one of the local markets in Tijuana, they sold butchers meat. When I went into the bathroom it was a room with a toilet, it was dirty and there was no sink anywhere in the store to wash your hands. Obviously there health standards are not the same, of course Tijuana hasn't really been hit with the swine flu like Mexico City has, it's not much riskier than living in Southern California. Living only an hour away from the border has it's advantages though, the swap meets in Tijuana are huge and you can get pretty much anything you want for much cheaper than anywhere in the States, including Wal*Mart. You can get DVD's for $3 a piece, they are burned copies, but they have everything you want and play just fine. They even copy the original labels and dvd covers so you can hardly tell it's burned.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm 
All Star
All Star

I wouldn't go into Mexico for anything, especially TJ. I have lived within 30 minutes or so of TJ my entire life and I haven't been down there in a decade. It's not the swine flu, it's the out of control drug cartels, the crooked cops, and the kidnappings. It didn't even make the front page of our local rag, but 7 TJ cops were executed within a 45-minute period a few days ago. It has become so commonplace that it is hardly mentioned anywhere. The kidnappings of civilians whose only sin is that they drive a nice car or pull a nice RV trailer, will often end in death and then they drop the body into vats of acid.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 am 
All Star
All Star

I went to Mexico last month (my 4th time) and it was absolutely wonderful. The drug issue hasn't effected the entire country and it is a shame that some people (not implying anyone on this board) think that. I went to Playa del Caremen which is about an hour south of Cancun and is just a beautiful place. I also haven't had any signs of the H1N1 virus which I feel has been very overhyped by both the media and politicians alike; particularly in other countries. I understand the need for concern and for swift response, but I just think some of the reaction has gone much too far (entire school districts closing for a couple if not more weeks because one student at one school got sick, killing 350,000 pigs in Egypt, killing wild boars in Iraq, etc...). I've been wondering if any drum corps members may be effected by this in that their school will extend their academic year if they closed for a few weeks...particularly schools in Texas...delaying their move-in at Spring camp.

I have plans to travel back to Mexico in late June, this time to Mazatlan on the Pacific coast, assuming things get better between now and then and there are no travel restrictions at that time.

Post subject: Re: Swine Flu - Possible Impact on Drum Corps
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 am 
All Star
All Star

If this keeps up, DCI will be looking at some hard decisions. Do you risk starting the tour, only to have Corps X quarantined somewhere because one of the members/staff/volunteers gets sick?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:35 am 
All Star
All Star

Overhyped by the media :dunce: and politicians :jester: ???

Say it ain't so... :wink:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 am 
All Star
All Star

And for the record, I don't think all of Mexico is as affected by the drug cartels as the northern border region, but since that is where I live I will be staying on this side for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Overhyped by the media :dunce: and politicians :jester: ???

Say it ain't so... :wink:

I know, right??? I honestly don't know which has been worse. I thought Biden's remarks were quite off the wall. But one of the funniest was a representative from Minnesota that thought it was ironic that the last time the swine flu was a pandemic Carter, another Democrat, was President, and now Obama, a democrat, is President. It was later noted that the Ford, Republican, was the president, not Carter. I just think it is amusing to listen to some of these people.

I was talking with a co-worker of mine at lunch and she had a good point that if this much hype were brought about during the normal flu season perhaps people would be more diligent in washing their hands and other preventive measures to keep the virus from spreading so much. I bet when all is said and done with this swine flue/H1N1 virus there will have been far more cases and fatalaties from the normal flu.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:

I have plans to travel back to Mexico in late June, this time to Mazatlan on the Pacific coast, assuming things get better between now and then and there are no travel restrictions at that time.

Just before this hit I was looking at Mazatlan for a vacation this summer. There is a brand new Riu resort, just opened in May. We stayed at a Riu last February in Negril, Jamaica, and had a great time!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 am 
All Star
All Star

We're doing a Western Carribean cruise end of June. As of right now there is no itinerary change for our cruise (which includes Cozumel) but I expect it will happen soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
We're doing a Western Carribean cruise end of June. As of right now there is no itinerary change for our cruise (which includes Cozumel) but I expect it will happen soon.

All the major cruise lines on the west coast are avoiding Mexico and adding San Diego as a port-o-call. We are seeing thousands of people daily. It's a little crazy with 2 or 3 large ships in port each day.

I say keep 'em coming. We can use the tourism right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:25 am 
All Star
All Star

This has nothing to do with the swine flu, but I thought this to be an interesting article on travel to Mexico.

One Journalist's View
By Linda Ellerbee

Sometimes I've been called a maverick because I don't always agree with my colleagues, but then, only dead fish swim with the stream all the time. The stream here is Mexico ..

You would have to be living on another planet to avoid hearing how dangerous Mexico has become, and, yes, it's true drug wars have escalated violence in Mexico , causing collateral damage, a phrase I hate. Collateral damage is a cheap way of saying that innocent people, some of them tourists, have been robbed, hurt or killed.

But that's not the whole story. Neither is this. This is my story.

I'm a journalist who lives in New York City , but has spent considerable time in Mexico , specifically Puerto Vallarta , for the last four years. I'm in Vallarta now. And despite what I'm getting from the U.S. media, the 24-hour news networks in particular, I feel as safe here as I do at home in New York , possibly safer. I walk the streets of my Vallarta neighborhood alone day or night. And I don't live in a gated community, or any other All-Gringo neighborhood. I live in Mexico . Among Mexicans. I go where I want (which does not happen to include bars where prostitution and drugs are the basic products), and take no more precautions than I would at home in New York; which is to say I don't wave money around, I don't act the Ugly American, I do keep my eyes open, I'm aware of my surroundings, and I try not to behave like a fool.

I've not always been successful at that last one. One evening a friend left the house I was renting in Vallarta at that time, and, unbeknownst to me, did not slam the automatically-locking door on her way out. Sure enough, less than an hour later a stranger did come into my house. A burglar? Robber? Kidnapper? Killer? Drug lord?

No, it was a local police officer, the "beat cop" for our neighborhood, who, on seeing my unlatched door, entered to make sure everything (including me) was okay. He insisted on walking with me around the house, opening closets, looking behind doors and, yes, even under beds, to be certain no one else had wandered in, and that nothing was missing. He was polite, smart and kind, but before he left, he lectured me on having not checked to see that my friend had locked the door behind her. In other words, he told me to use my common sense.

Do bad things happen here? Of course they do. Bad things happen everywhere, but the murder rate here is much lower than, say, New Orleans, and if there are bars on many of the ground floor windows of houses here, well, the same is true where I live, in Greenwich Village, which is considered a swell neighborhood - house prices start at about $4 million (including the bars on the ground floor windows).

There are good reasons thousands of people from the United States are moving to Mexico every month, and it's not just the lower cost of living, a hefty tax break and less snow to shovel. Mexico is a beautiful country, a special place. The climate varies, but is plentifully mild, the culture is ancient and revered, the young are loved unconditionally, the old are respected, and I have yet to hear anyone mention Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, or Madonna's attempt to adopt a second African child, even though, with such a late start, she cannot possibly begin to keep up with Anglelina Jolie.

And then there are the people. Generalization is risky, but- in general - Mexicans are warm, friendly, generous and welcoming. If you smile at them, they smile back. If you greet a passing stranger on the street, they greet you back. If you try to speak even a little Spanish, they tend to treat you as though you were fluent. Or at least not an idiot. I have had taxi drivers track me down after leaving my wallet or cell phone in their cab. I have had someone run out of a store to catch me because I have overpaid by twenty cents. I have been introduced to and come to love a people who celebrate a day dedicated to the dead as a recognition of the cycles of birth and death and birth - and the 15th birthday of a girl, an important rite in becoming a woman - with the same joy.

Too much of the noise you're hearing about how dangerous it is to come to Mexico is just that - noise. But the media love noise, and too many journalists currently making it don't live here. Some have never even been here. They just like to be photographed at night, standing near a spotlighted border crossing, pointing across the line to some imaginary country from hell. It looks good on TV.

Another thing. The U.S. media tend to lump all of Mexico into one big bad bowl. Talking about drug violence in Mexico without naming a state or city where this is taking place is rather like looking at the horror of Katrina and saying, "Damn. Did you know the U.S. is under water?" or reporting on the shootings at Columbine or the bombing of the Federal building in Oklahoma City by saying that kids all over the U..S. are shooting their classmates and all the grownups are blowing up buildings. The recent rise in violence in Mexico has mostly occurred in a few states, and especially along the border. It is real, but it does not describe an entire country.

It would be nice if we could put what's going on in Mexico in perspective, geographically and emotionally. It would be nice if we could remember that, as has been noted more than once, these drug wars wouldn't be going on if people in the United States didn't want the drugs, or if other people in the United States weren't selling Mexican drug lords the guns. Most of all, it would be nice if more people in the United States actually came to this part of America ( Mexico is also America , you ill recall) to see for themselves what a fine place Mexico really is, and how good a vacation (or a life) here can be.

So come on down and get to know your southern neighbors. I think you'll like it here.. Especially the people.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:44 am 
All Star
All Star

While I don't disagree with her observations, she lost me when she began to blame the U.S. for buying the drugs and selling the guns. She also overlooked the underlying problem of a corrupt (worse than ours anyway) governmental system that maintains the status quo in the places that are having the greatest problems. Her observations about the "locals" would most likely be duplicated in most of the fly-over states in the U.S. as well, just as experiencing Mexico City would be more like visiting NYC.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm 
All Star
All Star

But aren't most of the drugs crossing the border from Mexico to the U.S., not the other way around? I don't by any way think this excuses those on the Mexican side of the border from involvement in the drug cartels, but the U.S. has a huge role in this problem.

I think the reason for so many shootings in some of the bad areas is because the government is finally not accepting the status quo...hopefully they can make a difference in the long run.

I agree with you on the locals comment, but I don't think she was trying to say that their locals are better than the U.S. locals, but instead, was trying to disbar the myth that Mexicans are a bunch of uncaring, up-to-no-good, unpatriotic people as many Americans view them as.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:22 am 
All Star
All Star

A few thoughts:

1. Anyone who believes the media is naive.

2. The murder rate in New Orleans should not be compared to Mexico, more like Beruit.

3. No emperical data, but the trick is using sense. In N.O. after 9 years as a police officer, I have come to the conclusion murder comes in 3 varieties;
i. People who are killed in the commission of a crime, i.e. drug deals (ers) (50%)
ii. People who who are stupid, i.e. "lets walk through the housing project at 3 in the morning". (yes! people are really that stupid)(25%)
iii. True victims. People who are honestly in the wrong place at the wrong time. (25%)

Catagory 3 is the one I feel sorry for. I suspect that these proportions are universal & N.O. is not unique in that respect.........Bill