Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swine Flu
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:31 am 
All Star
All Star

I have to comment on the patriotic portion of the discussion. After living in tx for 7 years, it was very frustrating to me the past couple of years to see the uproar by the Mexican Americans there (and many illegals I'm sure) when discussions of the border, deportation, etc came into play. Yes, they are patriotic, but many of them only to Mexico even after they are US citizens. Many of them come here to make money and send it back home. For several months everywhere we went they were on the sides of roads waving the Mexican flag, yelling, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 am 
All Star
All Star

I would like to respond to that. I would not disagree for a couple of reasons however, they are not the only ones.
People of Jewish descent send money to Israel as a routine. My son worked for a Jewish man & if he didn't contribute he would not have had a job.

In N.O. you have factions such as the Irish-American social groups as well as the Italian-American groups. Both complete with parades.

Asian groups have their own churches, flags, administrations & gangs as well. There are places in south Louisiana where Cajun-French is spoken more than English..............Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 am 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
Asian groups have their own churches, flags, administrations & gangs as well. There are places in south Louisiana where Cajun-French is spoken more than English..............Bill

I agree. I think that any time you get a huge volume of people from another country in one small area it creates an insulated environment from the rest of the country. I know of a number of Chinese friends who lived in Flushing and left, for example, as walking down Main St in Flushing looks like Beijing...only there are fewer Caucasians in Flushing! :lol:

They wanted to become American citizens, learn the language, etc...and they felt that staying in Flushing was not the best way to do that.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
I would like to respond to that. I would not disagree for a couple of reasons however, they are not the only ones.
People of Jewish descent send money to Israel as a routine. My son worked for a Jewish man & if he didn't contribute he would not have had a job.

In N.O. you have factions such as the Irish-American social groups as well as the Italian-American groups. Both complete with parades.

I think there is a HUGE difference in ethnic pride and community vs. what Michael is speaking about. Living near the border, I can attest that the pro-illegal immigration crowd was not just pro-Mexico; it was largely anti-U.S. I was in the middle of the parade route when tens of thousands marched through San Diego. I saw pictures of Montebello High School in the LA area with the California State Flag removed, the U.S. flag in its place upside down, and the Mexican Flag placed on top.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

Agreed. However that sounds as much like poor city planning and lack of law enforcement as much as anything to me. Further, if they hate it so much, why stay?.................Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

In today's paper; four young adults from San Diego found murdered inside their van in Tijuana...

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:53 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

I think there is a HUGE difference in ethnic pride and community vs. what Michael is speaking about. Living near the border, I can attest that the pro-illegal immigration crowd was not just pro-Mexico; it was largely anti-U.S. I was in the middle of the parade route when tens of thousands marched through San Diego. I saw pictures of Montebello High School in the LA area with the California State Flag removed, the U.S. flag in its place upside down, and the Mexican Flag placed on top.

See that's just stupid on their part! They are asking for trouble. If they hate our country so much, then GO HOME!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:21 am 
Soloist
Soloist

My experience with Mexicans while in Mexico is that they are very friendly. And even though they have less money and possessions than most of us living in the states, they seem to be happier, and much less stressed than your average U.S. Citizen. Not stressing about paying the bills or having the nicest car in the neighborhood. And this makes public life much more friendly than anything you will find in Southern California. It actually seems like a much better way to live. They might not have everything figured out in Mexico, but they do have a better understanding of some things than we do.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:22 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
In today's paper; four young adults from San Diego found murdered inside their van in Tijuana...

I heard that these four people were also involved in drugs?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

Possibly, but that doesn't minimize the fact that innocent people are targeted simply based on the type of car they drive.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:55 am 
Soloist
Soloist

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

Possibly, but that doesn't minimize the fact that innocent people are targeted simply based on the type of car they drive.

People in vans?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

The Aceman wrote:
My experience with Mexicans while in Mexico is that they are very friendly. And even though they have less money and possessions than most of us living in the states, they seem to be happier, and much less stressed than your average U.S. Citizen. Not stressing about paying the bills or having the nicest car in the neighborhood. And this makes public life much more friendly than anything you will find in Southern California. It actually seems like a much better way to live. They might not have everything figured out in Mexico, but they do have a better understanding of some things than we do.

I got an email from Diesel Dan saying this about your post;
Yes, many of us might be stressed, but that might be do the current happenings in DC. Some have been uptight for years because of all the taxes we pay to help support those illegals who are receiving all kinds of free services. Just ask Californians. Maybe some Mexicans are happy because they have a family member in the US, illegally, working hard and sending them money.

Dan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:11 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Malibu wrote:
The Aceman wrote:

I got an email from Diesel Dan saying this about your post;
Yes, many of us might be stressed, but that might be do the current happenings in DC. Some have been uptight for years because of all the taxes we pay to help support those illegals who are receiving all kinds of free services. Just ask Californians. Maybe some Mexicans are happy because they have a family member in the US, illegally, working hard and sending them money.

Dan

Well I am a Californian, so I guess you can ask me. If you are going to blame all of our tax and money problems/stress on the fact that there are illegal aliens working in our country, that would be an unfair generalization. We've created a lifestyle in America where everyone thinks they NEED everything, no matter the cost, we must have the best newest car even if we can't afford it. The best house, the most exquisite food, the biggest yard, etc. etc. This problem was around long before the economy was bad or before any current happenings in DC. The cost of living in Mexico is tiny compared to anywhere in America. If you make minimum wage in America and live in Mexico you will be living like a king. You can find large family sized houses for $300 a month, the same thing would cost you around $1500 a month in the states. And sure some people in Mexico are receiving money from a family member in the states, but the very large majority are not, yet the majority is living comfortably and not stressing all the time about money. Something that cannot be said about America, it's really not even a debatable issue, but if you don't believe me go down there and see it for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 am 
All Star
All Star

It may not be THE cause of the economic troubles in the us, and especially Cali, but it is one of the causes.

What bugs me most about this issue is that instead of just doing what is right for our country it all gets politicized for votes and in the end American citizens get screwed again.

Profile E-mail