Back from a short visit...

If you can name it... you can discuss it here (except politics & religion)! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Back from a short visit...

Post by Malibu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:35 am

....in the hospital. Yep, I was sent to the ER on May 21 and they kept me in the hospital until May 28th.
I had been having pains in my right side. I thought it was just a pulled muscle until it got progressively worse. When I checked in the local Patient First, they took 4 x-rays and were baffled by nothing really showing up. They told me to go to the ER and get a C-Scan. After waiting two hours to be admitted, they finally prepared me for the nasty orange drink called Comtrast that would light up my stomach. Still....after doing that the doctors were not sure of what they were dealing with. So I had two ultra-sounds taken. They did find a Gaul Stone and thought that was the problem, then one surgeon came in and said that is not your problem. Your problem is very unique and one that she had never heard or seen. She said the apron like tissue that drapes down to cover the abdominal area had slipped and flipped up against my colon. She said I could ask for a second opinion, but she felt very strong that was the issue. Of course when people are talking about cutting on you, you tend to find out what other possibilities could it be.
So I asked for a second opinion. That surgeon said he thinks it's Diverticulitis, which is when your colon has pockets and those pockets get some bacteria in there causing an infection. They had me go on a strict diet with no liquids or solids for 2 1/2 days! I couldn't even eat an ice chip! Of course watching TV was out of the question because every time you turned it on, I saw commercials of FOOD! I was hooked up to an I V so it wasn't like I didn't receive any kind of nutrients.....but it wasn't like food! After seeing that my white blood counts were normal plus I never had a fever made the second surgeon start scratching his head! So, the first surgeon asked for a second dose of nasty Comtrast for another C-Scan. Now by this time the nasty orange drink tasted pretty good! LOL
The next day she was still saying it was the apron thing. I told her that I was in so much pain and aggravated from being in the hospital, I wanted something done!
I had an exploratory surgery on Tues. When I came out she stopped by my room to tell me that it was the apron thing but it was wrapped and twisted around a fatty like mass the size of a grapefruit! She said they tested it and it was not a tumor.
Boy, I used to think it would be cool to stay in hospital for some R&R but after what I went through, I want to avoid them. Anyway, it's glad to be back. :)
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Back from a short visit...

Post by Malibu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 am

So yeah, while everyone was out cooking on the grill for Memorial Day, I was stuck in a hospital bed eating Cream of Chicken Soup! :|
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

chadwick
All Star
All Star

Post by chadwick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 am

My goodness! Glad to hear that they finally found the problem. What is the next step?

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:42 am

Got to rest and she told me not to pick up anything more than 20 lbs for a month. It's kind of hard when you own a vending company.
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

Jd
Soloist
Soloist

Post by Jd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Well get better soon!
Jd
Bleu Raeders '78-'80
Louisiana Southernaires '81
Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

Post by Blurae1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Yes, that sounds horrible enough. I hope I never have to go through that. Get well soon. The new season is just around the corner....................Bill

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:15 pm

[quote="Malibu Boy, I used to think it would be cool to stay in hospital for some R&R but after what I went through, I want to avoid them. Anyway, it's glad to be back. :)[/quote]

Somebody once told me the WORST place to go to rest is in a hospital!

Glad you're on the mend.
Last edited by Jim Anello on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Anello

Marianne
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Marianne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Wow, what a horrible experiene. Hopefully the worst is behind you now. Glad to hear you're on the mend!
Marianne
BK Rifle 68-74
Trooper Sis: 1984
Trooper Aunt: 2005

MB3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MB3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 am

Glad to hear you're better, or at least on the mend!
Memphis Blues
Baritone 1981
Staff 1982
Blues, Baby, Blues!

Jazzman
All Star
All Star

Post by Jazzman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I go away for awhile and this happens!! Really!

Anyway, so glad you are recovering (nicely I will presume).

20lbs is hard to avoid... here's a short list of things that supposedly weigh 20lbs:

A car tire, a karaoke machine, a small tuna, some overly pampered pets, 4000 dimes, 1600 quarters, 7500 bills of any denomination, okay that's enough fun!
Regards, Jazzman

Mike
All Star
All Star

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 am

Malibu wrote:So yeah, while everyone was out cooking on the grill for Memorial Day, I was stuck in a hospital bed eating Cream of Chicken Soup! :|
Glad you are back...cream of chicken soup and everything!

Mike

rysa4
All Star
All Star

Post by rysa4 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I am relieved that it wasn't anything really bad, as I am sure you are as well.

cwbjr67
All Star
All Star

Post by cwbjr67 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:59 am

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. Glad the mass they found wasn't cancerous! :) Listen to them about lifting things though. You can make matters much worse. Give yourself some time to heal.
GO CADETS!