Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death of Emil Anello
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 am 
All Star
All Star

Last night my Dad died at the age of ninety.

Over the past couple of days he had been complaining of weakness, and yesterday the staff at the nursing home where he lived with Mom sent him to the hospital for observation. Very quickly, the emergency room staff determined he had pneumonia, started him on antibiotic therapy, and transferred him to a medical ward. When I left him at about 4:00, he was awake and seemed OK. I thought he would be there for 3-4 days tops, which I was told was pretty standard for that treatment. My youngest brother, Mike, stopped by with Mom, and they stayed with him until about 7:00.

At about 8:40, Dad was talking with his nurse and had some water. When she came to visit him 10 minutes later, he was gone.

While I wish some family members could have been with him at the end, I am gratelful to God that He took him quickly and gently. From what the staff told me, he didn't appear to have experienced any pain.

Dad is the person responsible for teaching me to love and appreciate music. He played saxophone, clarinet and flute, and he sang. He played in a lot of big jazz bands in town. He was a member of the Milwaukee American Legion Band for over 55 years and of the Florentine Opera chorus for 48 years. The love of music is the greatest of the many gifts he has given me.

We're all stunned and saddened by this. I am very worried about my mother, who met him when she was fifteen and has been his wife for 66 years. She is beside herself with grief.

Please keep him and us in your thoughts and prayers. I thank you in advance for all the support I know you'll give me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Death of Emil Anello
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jim - My prayers go out for you and your family! You have written often here on this board of your father and his influence on you and your musical interests. Losing a parent or spouse, even at an advanced age, is always trying. But I know God will send his Comforter to be with you all during this time. Thanks for letting us know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:33 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
Last night my Dad died at the age of ninety.

Over the past couple of days he had been complaining of weakness, and yesterday the staff at the nursing home where he lived with Mom sent him to the hospital for observation. Very quickly, the emergency room staff determined he had pneumonia, started him on antibiotic therapy, and transferred him to a medical ward. When I left him at about 4:00, he was awake and seemed OK. I thought he would be there for 3-4 days tops, which I was told was pretty standard for that treatment. My youngest brother, Mike, stopped by with Mom, and they stayed with him until about 7:00.

At about 8:40, Dad was talking with his nurse and had some water. When she came to visit him 10 minutes later, he was gone.

While I wish some family members could have been with him at the end, I am gratelful to God that He took him quickly and gently. From what the staff told me, he didn't appear to have experienced any pain.

Dad is the person responsible for teaching me to love and appreciate music. He played saxophone, clarinet and flute, and he sang. He played in a lot of big jazz bands in town. He was a member of the Milwaukee American Legion Band for over 55 years and of the Florentine Opera chorus for 48 years. The love of music is the greatest of the many gifts he has given me.

We're all stunned and saddened by this. I am very worried about my mother, who met him when she was fifteen and has been his wife for 66 years. She is beside herself with grief.

Please keep him and us in your thoughts and prayers. I thank you in advance for all the support I know you'll give me.

I'm really sorry Jim. he sounds like he was in pretty good shape for most of his ninety years and gave much to those around him. You all shared music too. I know your mom needs you. In the sadness of grief perhaps there is much about his life to celebrate as well. -- M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:02 pm 
All Star
All Star

Words cannot express...

Thanks for sharing a little bit about your father here. You honor him by doing so.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am 
All Star
All Star

Gosh, I cannot adequately express my condolences. I hope your memories of him remain wonderful.

Profile E-mail