Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haiti
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

I hope the US shuts down all financial flow into Haiti until their government agrees to stop persecuting those there to help. Another country slaps us in the face after we try to help them in their time of need. The power is in their hands and they should be responsible to rectify the situation. I don't want the people of Haiti to suffer any further, but their government can do things to address their plight. I for one, will not be sending another dollar that way until the situation changes.

We are such patsies some times...

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: Re: Haiti
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 am 
All Star
All Star

Are you referring to the missionary group of 10 alleged to have been involved in child trafficing or something else?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
Are you referring to the missionary group of 10 alleged to have been involved in child trafficing or something else?

Are there others?

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 am 
All Star
All Star

I wasn't sure, that is why I asked. I thought maybe I had missed something.

My opinions on this situation are mixed. I understand their intentions, but they should have understood what they were doing (alleged to have done I should say), is illegal. I actually take a different stance - I think the media has focused too much on this in the past week instead of the ongoing need for food and medical supplies. Those folks still need a lot of help and while countries around the world are offering assistance, the more the media loses sight of this need, the fewer donations that will come in from the general public.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, you're right. How dare they take kids from an area of death and chaos and try to get them food and shelter... Should have known the rules because that is indeed an orderly and coordinated society down there. I'm sure they could have just driven up to the local Health & Human Services offices and filled out a few forms. This in a society where the mere passing out of food becomes a riotous mess.

How about instead, we're down here trying to save your children and you (Haitian officials) are citing technicalities? How about if we jump through the same bureaucratic hoops in providing assistance? You should expect a boat in 6 to 8 weeks once we've received your notarized request in triplicate.

Sorry for the sarcasm but this is the same ol' same ol' all over again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Yeah, you're right. How dare they take kids from an area of death and chaos and try to get them food and shelter... Should have known the rules because that is indeed an orderly and coordinated society down there. I'm sure they could have just driven up to the local Health & Human Services offices and filled out a few forms. This in a society where the mere passing out of food becomes a riotous mess.

How about instead, we're down here trying to save your children and you (Haitian officials) are citing technicalities? How about if we jump through the same bureaucratic hoops in providing assistance? You should expect a boat in 6 to 8 weeks once we've received your notarized request in triplicate.

Sorry for the sarcasm but this is the same ol' same ol' all over again.

These kids had parents though...Living parents. I agree that things are a mess down there, but there are other ways to help these kids...and adults...in need. They may have had good intentions, but I think their efforts could have been more focused on helping the community all these kids were from, not taking the kids and leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

And these living parents were shoving the kids onto the bus, hoping that these people might save them. They weren't going to be sold into slavery; they weren't going to be adopted by rich Americans; they were going to a place they might survive another week. This was not some crime being committed and I am mad as hell at the Haitian government, our own weak-ass government; and wimpy Americans who won't stand up for their own people. People who are out there doing the work, taking risks, getting dirty, all while many of their own countrymen sit at home in the comfort of their living rooms and criticize their method.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

I think the focus should be on the adoption process and its pitfalls and inefficiencies. Religious groups and children are a bad mix in general as far as what happened and the facts are not at all clear to me. There still is a dire moral need by the population down there and I am proud that we are there.

I'd still let those US folks in jail down there out and sent back to the US without further issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
Religious groups and children are a bad mix in general as far as what happened...

...a bad mix??? Why in the world would you say that? Religious groups lead the world in providing hospitals, medical care, food, drinking water, and education. Not only when a headline event takes place giving Hollywood a chance to record another We Are the World single and furrow their brows with concern, but 24/365. I too am glad for all assistance, even something as simple as singing a song in order to generate funds, but I would not say that any one type of group is a bad mix for offering assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 am 
All Star
All Star

Well adoption is a personal process ideally initiated by a married couple who have been screened. This sort of en masse religious group adoption is spooky.