* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 down, 47 to go
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

Connecticut in the books.

Slowly, inexorably, America is being dragged (kicking and screaming, in most cases) into the 21st century, to a higher state of enlightenment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

:cheers: :bow:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/10/connecticut.gay.marriage/index.html

Sadly, I don't think I will ever experience seeing this same thing in my home state of Georgia. Hell, you still can't even buy alcohol on Sundays here....even with majority support of the voters in this state.

Post subject: Re: 3 down, 47 to go
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:57 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
Connecticut in the books.

Slowly, inexorably, America is being dragged (kicking and screaming, in most cases) into the 21st century, to a higher state of enlightenment.

Or not...

Funny, but no one seems to care that Obama is not for non-traditional marriage. If it were just McCain, the libs would be all over it. Could it be that there is an understanding that Obama means very little of what he says during this campaign?

Yes to legal protection, etc.

An adamant "No" to redefining the institution.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Or not...

Funny, but no one seems to care that Obama is not for non-traditional marriage. If it were just McCain, the libs would be all over it. Could it be that there is an understanding that Obama means very little of what he says during this campaign?

Actually, many people have taken note and disagree with Obama on this. This is one area where I don't fully agree with him obviously. I wish he would take a stronger step toward equality and support equal marriage rights nationally. But, he is in support of letting the states decide on their own where McCain is not and he is in support of the states that have decided to legalize gay marriage, where McCain is not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:03 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Or not...

Actually, many people have taken note and disagree with Obama on this. This is one area where I don't fully agree with him obviously. I wish he would take a stronger step toward equality and support equal marriage rights nationally. But, he is in support of letting the states decide on their own where McCain is not and he is in support of the states that have decided to legalize gay marriage, where McCain is not.

Eh, he'll change his position once elected. I guarantee it. I am thinking it is one of his ways to try and sway a few conservatives.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

LAMystreaux wrote:
chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Or not...

Eh, he'll change his position once elected. I guarantee it. I am thinking it is one of his ways to try and sway a few conservatives.

I doubt he will. The median position seems to be the one held by xsab...nobama...wearesp...whatever his name is these days. Besides, even though I personally support full marriage rights for gays, I can't say I'm terribly passionate about it. My worst nightmare is that the first months of the Obama administration get bogged down in this issue. Remember 1993? Clinton got bogged down in nanny issues for his Attorney General nominees (Zoe Baird, anyone?) and then in don't ask, don't tell. Pretty soon six months were wasted. I hope Obama will spend his energy and political capital on health care, but I fear it will be squandered on side issues like gay marriage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:25 am 
All Star
All Star

abalone wrote:
I doubt he will. The median position seems to be the one held by xsab...nobama...wearesp...whatever his name is these days. Besides, even though I personally support full marriage rights for gays, I can't say I'm terribly passionate about it. My worst nightmare is that the first months of the Obama administration get bogged down in this issue. Remember 1993? Clinton got bogged down in nanny issues for his Attorney General nominees (Zoe Baird, anyone?) and then in don't ask, don't tell. Pretty soon six months were wasted. I hope Obama will spend his energy and political capital on health care, but I fear it will be squandered on side issues like gay marriage.

I disagree actually. I don't think that the gay marriage issue will take front seat if Obama wins the election when the economy is of such great concern right now. I think that the new administration, whichever one it ends up being, should be fully focused on the economy at the onset. While I hope the gay marriage issue does get attention soon, I think the economy will and should be the priority right now.