Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:02 am 
All Star
All Star

The concept of "Homosexuality is a sin", should not be allowed in a government forum. Sin is a term of religion. I have 2 thoughts on this

1. The bible, "render unto Caesar what is Caesars", and that is really enough for me.

2. Seperation of church & state.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 am 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
The ONLY non lib group that tried to overpower any opposition with volume was a misguided religious group preaching hell and damnation. Ironically, they were also the only group that I personally confronted and criticised to their face (honestly though, they were one of the only ones that I didn't feel would be prone to violence either).

I don't know if you meant this to be funny, but I laughed out loud at this. Sometimes, you are very clever! 8-) :lol:

I see these groups of people all the time at gay pride events and laugh as well. But then....when I think about it....I become angry because these are the nuts that will be allowed to vote to deny rights for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:58 am 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
I know we're on polar opposites of this issue; however, the church does need to find a more compassionate way of reaching out to the gay community while remaining true to our faith. It's tough, but if we can help a willing few, then it's worth the effort.

Honestly, the marriage issue will not be won in the national debate. Over 80% of Americans are opposed to it, and they define marriage as an institution between a man and a woman.

I have to ask...what exactly do you mean by 'if we can help a willing few'?

I know over 50% of the population is opposed to allowing gay marriage, but I think your 80% figure is a bit high.

I have totally gone off topic in this thread....sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
cwbjr67 wrote:
I know we're on polar opposites of this issue; however, the church does need to find a more compassionate way of reaching out to the gay community while remaining true to our faith. It's tough, but if we can help a willing few, then it's worth the effort.

Honestly, the marriage issue will not be won in the national debate. Over 80% of Americans are opposed to it, and they define marriage as an institution between a man and a woman.

I have to ask...what exactly do you mean by 'if we can help a willing few'?

I know over 50% of the population is opposed to allowing gay marriage, but I think your 80% figure is a bit high.

I have totally gone off topic in this thread....sorry!

I apologize. I have been working a lot in the past weeks, and I have fallen behind in responding to your post. Please don't think it was meant to slight you. When I say "help a willing few," it means to bring people to Christ. That is, the church's main responsibility is to afford a person an opportunity to choose to cultivate a new relationship with their Creator. The Gospel addresses the problem of sin, which is an open rebellion against God. It is not meant to specifically point out a group of people and proclaim that one is worse than the other. Look, I'm the poster child of moral bankruptcy, but the power of Christ is changing my life (a daunting task, to say the least). Rather than continuing to transcendentalize the "virtues" of my youth, I now look not to an idea, but a REAL Person as the standard of righteous living, so I change out of love, not out of a sense of moral superiority over another person.

An interesting quote from CS Lewis to ponder...

Quote:
The Christian way is different--both harder and easier. Christ says, "Give me ALL. I don't want this much of your time and this much of your money and this much of your work--so that your natural self can have the rest. I want you. Not your things. I have come not to torture your natural self...I will give you a new self instead. Hand over the whole natural self--ALL the desires, not just the ones you think wicked but the ones you think innocent--the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead.

If I am a grass field--all the cutting will keep the grass less but won't produce wheat. If I want wheat...I must be plowed up and re-sown."

Profile E-mail