* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One of Hollywood's Few Republicans Endorses Obama
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
One of Hollywood's few Republicans has switched his vote. Dennis Hopper, 72, told reporters in France that he's praying for an Obama victory, despite decades as a Bush supporter.

"I voted for Bush, father and son, but this time I'll vote for Obama," he told journalists at the opening of a show on his life and work.

"I was the first person in my family to have been Republican," he added. "For most of my life I wasn't on the left."

"I pray to God, Barack Obama is elected," he said, criticising the current administration's many "lies."

Hopper stars in "An American Carol," a conservative comedy that spoofed Michael Moore and last donated money, in 2004, to the RNC.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 am 
All Star
All Star

*yawn*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
*yawn*

If these articles bore you that much, why are you wasting time to reply to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
*yawn*

If these articles bore you that much, why are you wasting time to reply to them?

The yawn is not that it is boring, just that it is not anything that newsworthy, imo. I am sure many life-long Dems and Republicans have switched parties in recent times. To see that someone in Hollywood is doing it is even less surprising, especially to be switching from the Right to the Left.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:48 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Haha. Does that mean you'll be going to see An American Carol now? I'm looking forward to seeing it myself..And yeah, LA has a point. It's not that big of a deal. I was more shocked when Toby Keith endorsed Obama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
*yawn*

GCMystreaux is the arbiter of all news in America, didn't you know? CNN and FoxNews both have him on speed-dial to determine their daily line-ups. Thus, it is his job--nay, his duty--to comment on the newsworthiness of every article.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 am 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
*yawn*

GCMystreaux is the arbiter of all news in America, didn't you know? CNN and FoxNews both have him on speed-dial to determine their daily line-ups. Thus, it is his job--nay, his duty--to comment on the newsworthiness of every article.

Awww. Sad Kevin didn't like my opinion on his story?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:21 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Hostrauser wrote:
chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
*yawn*

Poorly... :drop:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:54 am 
All Star
All Star

The most revealing thing about this thread is in the title. Hollywood is home to some of the most bizarre, self-absorbed, elitist, out-of-touch with-the-real-world people who have ever lived. The fact that the vast majority are libs should surprise no one. But what it also reveals is that there is an extreme political dogma in the industry wherein free thinking is not only frowned upon, but can actually hinder or ruin careers.

This seems to be prevalent from the left. Ask any conservative speaker at a university who has been heckled and shouted down by the audience just because they disagree. Or watch how many conservative political signs mysteriously disappear overnight in cities and town across the country. Some on the left absolutely despise free speech, unless that speech agrees with their point of view. Some on the extreme right are just as bad, but this activity shows up within the mainstream left much more often.

Why anyone would put any stock into a celebrity's political views is beyond me, except for those hoping for self validation.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:15 pm 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
The most revealing thing about this thread is in the title. Hollywood is home to some of the most bizarre, self-absorbed, elitist, out-of-touch with-the-real-world people who have ever lived. The fact that the vast majority are libs should surprise no one. But what it also reveals is that there is an extreme political dogma in the industry wherein free thinking is not only frowned upon, but can actually hinder or ruin careers.

This seems to be prevalent from the left. Ask any conservative speaker at a university who has been heckled and shouted down by the audience just because they disagree. Or watch how many conservative political signs mysteriously disappear overnight in cities and town across the country. Some on the left absolutely despise free speech, unless that speech agrees with their point of view. Some on the extreme right are just as bad, but this activity shows up within the mainstream left much more often.

Why anyone would put any stock into a celebrity's political views is beyond me, except for those hoping for self validation.

I really do have to disagree with you here. I think you feel this way because you are biased from the conservative standpoint. I honestly think you would see just as much action against people on the liberal side of things. Just my opinion though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
I really do have to disagree with you here. I think you feel this way because you are biased from the conservative standpoint. I honestly think you would see just as much action against people on the liberal side of things. Just my opinion though.

It just doesn't happen though. Have a conservative scheduled to speak at a college commencement and the threats begin immediately. Calls for boycotts, etc. If the conservative does speak, they are often shouted down or have to compete with artificial noisemakers.

Senator Obama was recently welcomed into an evangelical church and was treated with respect and consideration. No one from that congregation who chooses to vote for him will have even the slightest pressure to do otherwise. That same thing doesn't happen in Hollywood. The whole Dixie Chicks thing was not about their politics. There are plenty of liberals in Nashville. The fan reaction was predicated on their purposeful disrespect for our Nation and its leaders while abroad.

Did you watch the RNC? A perfect example of Libs trying to shout down conservatives. Have you ever been in a protest zone at an event? I have been in three; a Bio-Tech conference, the '96 RNC, and a Super Bowl. The ONLY non lib group that tried to overpower any opposition with volume was a misguided religious group preaching hell and damnation. Ironically, they were also the only group that I personally confronted and criticised to their face (honestly though, they were one of the only ones that I didn't feel would be prone to violence either).

It is a tactic used by protesters and protesters tend to be liberal.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:33 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
It just doesn't happen though. Have a conservative scheduled to speak at a college commencement and the threats begin immediately. Calls for boycotts, etc. If the conservative does speak, they are often shouted down or have to compete with artificial noisemakers.

Senator Obama was recently welcomed into an evangelical church and was treated with respect and consideration. No one from that congregation who chooses to vote for him will have even the slightest pressure to do otherwise. That same thing doesn't happen in Hollywood. The whole Dixie Chicks thing was not about their politics. There are plenty of liberals in Nashville. The fan reaction was predicated on their purposeful disrespect for our Nation and its leaders while abroad.

Did you watch the RNC? A perfect example of Libs trying to shout down conservatives. Have you ever been in a protest zone at an event? I have been in three; a Bio-Tech conference, the '96 RNC, and a Super Bowl. The ONLY non lib group that tried to overpower any opposition with volume was a misguided religious group preaching hell and damnation. Ironically, they were also the only group that I personally confronted and criticised to their face (honestly though, they were one of the only ones that I didn't feel would be prone to violence either).

I don't want to come across as defending every protest or outspoken group against some of our Conservative leaders, but I do feel it necessary to address this further. I feel that Conservative leaders, (those that have strong issues on social issues in particular), are more likely to face vocal assaults and other means of protests because their position on issues is usually one that impedes on the rights of other individuals. When a person is outspoken about their opinion to deny rights to someone....whether it be to disallow abortion, continue 'don't ask don't tell' or make gay marriage illegal...those that feel that their rights are being taken away want that person to hear about it.

You mention that a particular evangelical church welcomed Obama even though they don't share some of the same principles. But, is Obama threatening to make going to this church illegal? Is he campaigning that churchs will close if he is elected? No...these people's right to have their own religious beliefs are not threatened by Obama.

While you may feel that those on the 'left' are more outspoken about those on the 'right', I disagree and think that their are outspoken people on both sides. It is not a rare thing to drive around parts of Georgia....even within Atlanta citylimits...and see billboards claiming homosexuality is a sin. Or to see rallys...parades...to 'protect the sanctity of marriage' and deny equal marriage rights to gay people. Bombings on abortion clinics, gay bashings like the Matthew Shepard incident....while very very extreme, and rare...that is also an example of outspoken people on the 'right'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:30 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

I don't want to come across as defending every protest or outspoken group against some of our Conservative leaders, but I do feel it necessary to address this further. I feel that Conservative leaders, (those that have strong issues on social issues in particular), are more likely to face vocal assaults and other means of protests because their position on issues is usually one that impedes on the rights of other individuals. When a person is outspoken about their opinion to deny rights to someone....whether it be to disallow abortion, continue 'don't ask don't tell' or make gay marriage illegal...those that feel that their rights are being taken away want that person to hear about it.

You mention that a particular evangelical church welcomed Obama even though they don't share some of the same principles. But, is Obama threatening to make going to this church illegal? Is he campaigning that churchs will close if he is elected? No...these people's right to have their own religious beliefs are not threatened by Obama.

While you may feel that those on the 'left' are more outspoken about those on the 'right', I disagree and think that their are outspoken people on both sides. It is not a rare thing to drive around parts of Georgia....even within Atlanta citylimits...and see billboards claiming homosexuality is a sin. Or to see rallys...parades...to 'protect the sanctity of marriage' and deny equal marriage rights to gay people. Bombings on abortion clinics, gay bashings like the Matthew Shepard incident....while very very extreme, and rare...that is also an example of outspoken people on the 'right'.

Stupid people are everywhere, on both and all sides of every issue. On this we can agree.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:29 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
The ONLY non lib group that tried to overpower any opposition with volume was a misguided religious group preaching hell and damnation. Ironically, they were also the only group that I personally confronted and criticised to their face (honestly though, they were one of the only ones that I didn't feel would be prone to violence either).

I don't know if you meant this to be funny, but I laughed out loud at this. Sometimes, you are very clever! 8-) :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
It is not a rare thing to drive around parts of Georgia....even within Atlanta citylimits...and see billboards claiming homosexuality is a sin. Or to see rallys...parades...to 'protect the sanctity of marriage' and deny equal marriage rights to gay people.

Atlanta, like most Southern cities, is a bit of a conundrum. It is a city of piety and excess. The same people that want to protect the sanctity of marriage cheat on their spouses, but I digress. I would be careful to define marriage as a right declared in the Constitution. It just is not there, and it isn't inferred either. However, denying these people their right to protest, which is specifically listed in the Constitution, eliminates the possibility for your points to be heard.

I know we're on polar opposites of this issue; however, the church does need to find a more compassionate way of reaching out to the gay community while remaining true to our faith. It's tough, but if we can help a willing few, then it's worth the effort.

Honestly, the marriage issue will not be won in the national debate. Over 80% of Americans are opposed to it, and they define marriage as an institution between a man and a woman.

Quote:
Bombings on abortion clinics, gay bashings like the Matthew Shepard incident....while very very extreme, and rare...that is also an example of outspoken people on the 'right'.

I would say that these examples are the evil acts of very disturbed people. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. However, if one brings up these incidents, be fair and reveal the persecutions committed by radicals who are supposed gay, abortion. or environmental activists.

Profile E-mail