Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can McCain make history?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So my wife brought up a fact she heard last night on the news which I never really thought about. If McCain is able to win this election, it will be the first time since 1929 a Republican won without a Bush or Nixon on the ticket. And that was Hoover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm 
All Star
All Star

Not exactly a surprising revelation since there have only been two Republican Presidents elected since Hoover NOT named Nixon or Bush (Eisenhower and Reagan) and each one of them had a Nixon or a Bush as VP, leading directly or indirectly to their own administrations in subsequent years.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

It was just something I found interesting. When I mentioned it at work, most people had a "really?" response when I told them. I had the same response at first, but then started thinking back to past elections and had a "ummm that's interesting" response. But I guess I should of known right off the bat considering I voted for Nixon in 68..I was young back then, but I do remember people being upset with my father and myself for not supporting Wallace. Sadly, he was one of the few pastors in our town who didn't support him. And he paid for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:15 am 
All Star
All Star

Oh. I was kind of hoping this topic would be about the chances of McCain breaking William Henry Harrison's record of only surviving in office for 30 days, 12 hours and 30 minutes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
Oh. I was kind of hoping this topic would be about the chances of McCain breaking William Henry Harrison's record of only surviving in office for 30 days, 12 hours and 30 minutes.

Ha ha...funny! Nothing like veiled-wish humor from a hater.

Man, imagine how mean you would have to be if McCain were leading in the polls...

Ha ha ha ha... :lol:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:02 pm 
All Star
All Star

I really can't understand this. I have no use for Bush, I mean none at all, as in loathe the man. As much as I hate to say it, if it came down to it, I would defend his life with mine. Reason: I remember when Jack Kennedy was murdered.I can't imagine much worse situation than a sitting president dying in office..............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:43 am 
All Star
All Star

I worry that if Obama gets elected, some racist nut will try to assassinate him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:45 am 
All Star
All Star

Agreed, for the record, I don't like him either. I know I'm as guilty as anyone for hate. But we really have to control it.............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:53 am 
All Star
All Star

But guys, I'm sure Kevin was only kidding. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:51 am 
All Star
All Star

Why all the rhubarb? McCain is old and feeble; old and feeble people drop dead from natural causes all the time. I wasn't hoping McCain would be assassinated. William Henry Harrison wasn't assassinated. Why was that the first connection you made?

What follows is purely rumor and conjecture...

Back in August, Cindy McCain supposedly sprained/fractured her wrist due to an overzealous handshake from a supporter. She was soon thereafter seen sporting this sizable cast, which she had off in only a couple of weeks.

Except that a low-grade sprain would not have required that much of a cast, and a high-grade sprain likely (and a fracture certainly) would not heal that fast. Rumor in the liberal underground (you know, that place where we build all our bombs and worship the Quran and create fliers on homosexuality to pass our to grade school children) is that McCain had a heart-scare back in August and that Cindy's wrist injury was a cover.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:35 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
Why all the rhubarb? McCain is old and feeble; old and feeble people drop dead from natural causes all the time. I wasn't hoping McCain would be assassinated. William Henry Harrison wasn't assassinated. Why was that the first connection you made?

What follows is purely rumor and conjecture...

Back in August, Cindy McCain supposedly sprained/fractured her wrist due to an overzealous handshake from a supporter. She was soon thereafter seen sporting this sizable cast, which she had off in only a couple of weeks.

Except that a low-grade sprain would not have required that much of a cast, and a high-grade sprain likely (and a fracture certainly) would not heal that fast. Rumor in the liberal underground (you know, that place where we build all our bombs and worship the Quran and create fliers on homosexuality to pass our to grade school children) is that McCain had a heart-scare back in August and that Cindy's wrist injury was a cover.

It could have been your choice of words (hoping). Expecting something to happen as it is likely and hoping it to happen are two very different things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Can McCain make history?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:16 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

SCVStar wrote:
So my wife brought up a fact she heard last night on the news which I never really thought about. If McCain is able to win this election, it will be the first time since 1929 a Republican won without a Bush or Nixon on the ticket. And that was Hoover.

In some ways, this is somewhat like 1976, one of those few elections without a Nixon or Bush on the ballot. Nixon wasn't running, but he was the Democrat's strongest argument. Moreover, Obama is the only major party nominee since the Gilded Age with less experience than Carter, with the possible exception of Wendell Wilkie. The economy was bad then too, and Democrats had a pretty good grip on Congress. Who knew that the Reagan revolution was only four years away?