* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colin Powell Endorses Obama
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:41 am 
All Star
All Star

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/colin.powell/index.html

CNN) -- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says he is voting for Barack Obama.

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Powell said he has some concerns about the direction of the Republican Party, adding that it has "moved more to the right than I would like to see it."

In regard to the financial crisis, which Powell called the candidates' "final exam," Powell said McCain appeared unsteady in dealing with it, while Obama had excelled in handling the situation.

Don't Miss
McCain picks up endorsement
Election Center 2008
"Obama displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge," Powell said.

"He has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president," he said.

During the campaign, Powell has met with both candidates and said he has a lot of respect for McCain. He said Sunday that he thinks both candidates are qualified to be president.

"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," Powell said.

Speaking on Fox News Sunday, McCain said he respects and admires Powell, and the announcement "doesn't come as a surprise."

"I'm also very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state -- Secretaries [Henry] Kissinger, [James] Baker, [Lawrence] Eagleburger, and [Alexander] Haig -- and I'm proud to have the endorsement of well over 200 retired Army generals and admirals," McCain said.

Powell served as Secretary of State under President Bush from 2001 to 2005.

The possibility of a Powell endorsement has been rumored for several months.

On August 13, Powell's office denied a report on Fox News by commentator Bill Kristol that Powell had decided to publicly back Obama at the Democratic National Convention.

Powell himself brushed off queries on any potential presidential nod but told ABC News in August that he would not be going to Denver, Colorado, for the convention.

Back in February, Powell told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that he was weighing an endorsement of a Democratic or independent candidate.

Powell has offered praise for Obama, calling him an "exciting person on the political stage."

"He has energized a lot of people in America," said Powell. "He has energized a lot of people around the world. And so I think he is worth listening to and seeing what he stands for."

The former general, who has largely steered clear of politics since leaving the Bush administration, noted that the next president will need to work to restore America's standing in the world.

Powell gave the keynote address at the Republican National Convention in support of George W. Bush in 2000.

Powell said Sunday that he has no plans to campaign for Obama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:26 am 
All Star
All Star

I could not help but be impressed with SecretaryPowell's eloquence this morning, particulary when he said what I've been hoping someone would say about the attempts to attack Senator Obama because he "might" be Muslim. Mt. Powell's premise - "So what?" - and his remarks about the burial of a fallen American soldier who happened TO BE Muslim were inspirational to me. Inclusiveness and tolerance - what a concept.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:51 pm 
All Star
All Star

So the left is spinning this as a positive now???

How long ago was it that they hated Powell and loved McCain? :roll:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:17 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I'm not surprised.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:02 am 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

I'm curious....if the situation were different, say Al Gore or Bill Clinton came out and endorsed McCain, how would you feel about that situation?

Of course it is going to be spun as a positive when someone that has been in a very key position on one side, in this case Republican, outwardly supports and endorses someone on the opposite side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:13 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

I'm curious....if the situation were different, say Al Gore or Bill Clinton came out and endorsed McCain, how would you feel about that situation?

I'd be sickened and pissed. I can't stand either one of them and that endorsement alone would probably be enough to make me not vote for the candidate. Al Gore is an idiot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
Al Gore is an idiot.

Wow. He is actually a very smart man that brings up some very valid arguments about global warming. But hey, if you say so. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:06 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, and he also invented the internet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:44 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Al Gore is an idiot.

Wow. He is actually a very smart man that brings up some very valid arguments about global warming. But hey, if you say so. :roll:

I will agree that he is not an idiot. Disingenous manipulator? That I will buy. He has proven his worth by using scare tactics more than salient points. Michael Moore has nothing on algore as far as being able to manipulate the truth to make a point.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 am 
Rookie
Rookie

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:

Powell has been respected by both parties since serving Reagan. And his favorable ratings right before the endorsement was 80%. Not even McCain's favorable rating in 00 was that high. And that was when McCain was a moderate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 am 
All Star
All Star

I find myself surprised by how much I am reacting to this endorsement. I tend to vote Republican, although I have never voted straight party line ever. Lately, McCain has not impressed me (last debate, recent TV ads). Powell's endorsement comes right as I am leaning ever so slightly towards Obama. I have tremendous respect and admiration for Colin Powell (sure wish he would have won a nomination!!). And so now I'm thinking if Powell thinks Obama would be a good president, I should get over my fears and objections and give him a try. He's got 15 days to seal the deal. I'm still listening and watching.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

I can't imagine this came very easy for Secretary Powell, any more than it was easy for Senator Lieberman to desert the Democrats and endorse Senator McCain.

You know, I really have to agree with Secretary Powell about the rightward tilt of the Republican party driving him over the edge. About a year ago, when it looked for all the world that Senator Clinton was going to be the demoratic party's candidate, I gave Senator McCain a long look. I was suffering from a heavy dose of Clinton fatigue, and I could not see four more years of charges and counter charges about this and that. Senator McCain's integrity really appealed to me. But, Senator McCain really moved to the right to reach out to his base, particularly when he selected Govenor Palin as his running mate. The more they fed to the "red meat" faction of the republican party, the more turned off I became.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
I can't imagine this came very easy for Secretary Powell, any more than it was easy for Senator Lieberman to desert the Democrats and endorse Senator McCain.

You know, I really have to agree with Secretary Powell about the rightward tilt of the Republican party driving him over the edge. About a year ago, when it looked for all the world that Senator Clinton was going to be the demoratic party's candidate, I gave Senator McCain a long look. I was suffering from a heavy dose of Clinton fatigue, and I could not see four more years of charges and counter charges about this and that. Senator McCain's integrity really appealed to me. But, Senator McCain really moved to the right to reach out to his base, particularly when he selected Govenor Palin as his running mate. The more they fed to the "red meat" faction of the republican party, the more turned off I became.

Dude, please tell me in what way McCain is NOW conservative???? Only by comparison to Obama which, if that is your barometer, pretty much puts anyone else on the "more conservative" side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, I'll take the bait.
First: Gun control. McCain was never very popular with the NRA due to wanting and backing gun control legislation. Now he has taken a more conservative stance, and the NRA has endorsed him fully.

Second: Taxes. He once fought against the Bush tax cuts. Actually, I think he voted twice against it. Said it was unwise at a time of war. Now he fully supports the tax cut and wants to continue it. This started the shift from moderate conservative to the new Bush conservative way. I promise he never voted over 90% with Bush before 2004.

Third: Abortion. McCain was never popular with the far right conservatives with his views on abortion..Also voted for Clinton Supreme Court selections. Now has a father right view on abortion, including picking judges which would reverse Roe vs Wade. He made that clear in the debate. He has wanted it reversed for a long time though..But also said he would make exceptions including rape and incest. He has not mentioned that since running.

Foreign Policy: McCain was a supporter of the Reagan Doctrine of foreign policy and regarding military force. No nation building. No preemtive warfare. Now McCain supports the Bush Doctrine which includes preemtive war. His views on foreign policy are WAY right of traditional and Reagan conservatives..

McCain also strongly supported the Patriot Act. Most democrats and even moderate Republicans fought against it. Some traditional conservatives said it violated the Constitution of the United States..Incuding Paul and Hagel.

So there are a few glimpes of the Old vs New John McCain.

Oh, lets not forget the Bush-Rove politics he so strongly fought against. Saying negative robo calls are used to spew hate..Now McCain has hired the same group he once blasted to use negative robo calls against his opponent. And now even some republicans are saying this is not the kind of politics we need. Now, think back to the McCain of 00. A very moderate republican who was respected greatly for the class of his campaign, and loved by the media. Comparing 00 to now is like night and day.

Also, true evidence of McCain's shift can be seen among independent voters. Independents are considered VERY moderate in their politcal views. If this was the old moderate McCain, there's just no way he would be fighting Obama (a far left liberal) for the independent vote..That's why McCain is losing right now by the way. And lets not forget all the republicans who have said they would not support McCain due to many of these reasons (Sarah Plain pick being considered also). Some have endorsed Obama. And others have said they would support neither.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:44 am 
All Star
All Star

SCVStar, thank you for your response. In addition, the "maverick" Senator McCain of 2000 would have followed his instincts and picked Senator Liebermann as his running mate. The senator would clearly be more qualified to be president than Govenor Palin.

Profile E-mail