Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conspiracy Theory
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Probably the same number of people that "know" that it wasn't a plane that hit the Pentagon on 9/11. ( quote from Hostrauser )

I believe you once stated that you were an aviation buff also, are you now also a believer in the conspiracy theory :?:

I am also a fan of aviation, and find it rather incredible that a terrorist wanna be pilot assisted by auto pilot, could dive an airliner out of the sky, level off at 15 feet parallel to the ground, avoid telephone polls, traffic lights, and a parking lot and fly into the Pentagon, leaving little if any discernible debris behind.

I guess you figure out the answer as to where I stand :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:25 am 
All Star
All Star

I'm not a follower of aviation, I have no idea what it takes to fly a plane. All i know is I like to fly. Please enlighten me.................Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Well, my niece works in the Pentagon and was there on 9/11. I asked her what was it like when the plane hit. She said it was like an earthquake with the building shaking.

On that terrible day, she was supposed to go to the other side to have some documents signed when two of her co-workers and best friends stopped by. They told her they were on their way and would drop off the paper work for her.......they never returned. My niece really took that hard because she knew that could have been her. For a long time she didn't feel safe going to work.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Conspiracy Theory
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:18 am 
All Star
All Star

frankiE wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Probably the same number of people that "know" that it wasn't a plane that hit the Pentagon on 9/11.

I believe you once stated that you were an aviation buff also, are you now also a believer in the conspiracy theory :?:

My comment was meant with the highest level of sarcasm, which is why I put this icon after the comment: :roll:

frankiE wrote:
I am also a fan of aviation, and find it rather incredible that a terrorist wanna be pilot assisted by auto pilot

More than just a "wanna-be," the 9/11 terrorists took flying classes IN THE US for many months (not to mention flight training they had elsewhere, including Germany and the Middle East).

I doubt the auto-pilot was engaged: it would try to correct the plane upwards and the terrorists would have been fighting it the whole time. Easier to just switch it off.

frankiE wrote:
could dive an airliner out of the sky, level off at 15 feet parallel to the ground

It was more like 50 feet, with a last second dive into the pentagon.

Besides, in clear weather it's not that difficult to level off at a low altitude. Dangerous, perhaps, and certain not recommended, but not difficult.

I mean, get a load of this

frankiE wrote:
avoid telephone polls

None. Phone lines coming into the Pentagon are underground.

frankiE wrote:
traffic lights

You think a light standard is going to stop a 200,000-pound aircraft traveling 350mph? Numerous eyewitnesses reported the plane shearing off lampposts like a hot knife through butter.

frankiE wrote:
and a parking lot

Considering the Pentagon parking lot was over 1,000 feet away to the port side from the plane's path, it really wasn't that hard to avoid.

frankiE wrote:
and fly into the Pentagon, leaving little if any discernible debris behind.

Planes that impact solid objects at high speed tend not to leave a lot of discernible debris behind. See also:
Turkish Airlines 948 (1974)
American Eagle 4184 (1994)

That being said, the plane DID leave discernible debris behind: AA77 debris on Pentagon lawn

From Snopes:
snopes.com wrote:
Recall that when the first airliner was flown into a World Trade Center tower on September 11--before it was known that the "accident" was really part of a deliberate terrorist attack--newscasters were speculating that a small plane had accidentally flown into the side of the tower, because the visible exterior damage didn't seem as extensive as what people thought a large airliner would cause. Even though the two airplanes flown into the World Trade Center towers were traveling faster at the time of impact than the Pentagon plane was (400 MPH vs. 350 MPH), hit aluminum-and-glass buildings rather than reinforced concrete walls, and didn't dissipate much of their energy striking the ground first (as the Pentagon plane did), they still barely penetrated all the way through the WTC towers.

Everything about 9/11 can easily be explained with science, from the collapse of the towers to the damage done at the Pentagon. In my opinion, most conspiracy theorists on this issue suffer a total disconnect from reality.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah, they did a great special about this on Discovery (?) a while back. And of course I don't believe in the conspiracy theory of an inside job..The only part of the show that raised my eyebrow was there being NO clear footage of the plane hitting. You would think the Pentagon has an insane amount of security cameras..They have one shot of it, but all you really see is an explosion. And the quality is poor. Still, I'm not buying into the theory..But I do find that odd. Everything else mentioned in the show was explained very well by scientific factors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 am 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
I'm not a follower of aviation, I have no idea what it takes to fly a plane. All i know is I like to fly. Please enlighten me.................Bill

Many low hour pilots use autopilot for basic control, and manually override the controls to achieve their desired attitude changes. Most reports are that the hijackers had minimal training, were poor students and did a lot of video aircraft manual viewing .

An airplane functions a lot like a ship in that " you do not have your feet firmly on the ground", and direction changes do not always go smoothly.
Sharp attitude changes are not easily mastered, especially that of a speeding mass of jet powered metal.