* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birds of a feather....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

flock together?

As I ride around in different parts of this region, I have noticed areas that are predominately black have Obama signs out where in predominately white neighborhoods I see McCain. I bet if the the truth were known, I would say 98% blacks are voting for Obama based on race. They want to see and be a part history.
Yes, there are some re-neck whites out there that would not elect anyone other than a Caucasian but there are more who are color blind that listen to what the candidates are saying.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Well it depends on the region I guess..White suburbs will probably vote for Obama. Especially women who live in the suburbs. It's also incorrect to say 98% of blacks will vote for Obama "based on race". About 90% of blacks consider themselves democrats in the first place. Obama's race will only energize the black portion of the democratic party. The percentage of blacks who vote for Obama just on race is probably pretty small. And it's probably the older generation who lived during the civil rights era. Lets face it, the Republicans haven't helped themselves out with the black vote in a while. And it's kind of odd if you look at the history of each party. Once upon a time the Republican party was the champion party for African Americans. The Democrats were considered pro-slavery and anti civil rights. Just look at the Southern vote of this country over the years..The South was Pro-democrat for about 100 years straight..There was a reason for that. And they voted for Goldwater against Johnson mainly for Johnson's support for Civil rights. And that's when the switched happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 am 
All Star
All Star

SCVStar wrote:
Well it depends on the region I guess..White suburbs will probably vote for Obama. Especially women who live in the suburbs. It's also incorrect to say 98% of blacks will vote for Obama "based on race". About 90% of blacks consider themselves democrats in the first place. Obama's race will only energize the black portion of the democratic party. The percentage of blacks who vote for Obama just on race is probably pretty small. And it's probably the older generation who lived during the civil rights era. Lets face it, the Republicans haven't helped themselves out with the black vote in a while. And it's kind of odd if you look at the history of each party. Once upon a time the Republican party was the champion party for African Americans. The Democrats were considered pro-slavery and anti civil rights. Just look at the Southern vote of this country over the years..The South was Pro-democrat for about 100 years straight..There was a reason for that. And they voted for Goldwater against Johnson mainly for Johnson's support for Civil rights. And that's when the switched happened.

I have to agree. Most African-Americans that I know have been Democrats forever. Many probably would have voted Dem no matter who was running. I would have rather seen someone like Condi as a VP or Pres nom. Oh well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

SCVStar wrote:

Don't you think there are clear generational differences on race? The older you are, the more important race seems to be. People with personal experience reaching back to the segregation era or civil rights movement see the world differently than those of us born later. My parents hear far more "code" language than I do; they'll come away from a speech or event thinking it was all about race whereas I might not hear anything that implies race was important. And I am much more sensitive than my students. Too me, it seems they overlook obvious things that matter in America. It's also different out here in California, where we live in such a multiracial society. The Black and White politics of the Civil Rights era just doesn't make sense here, and it's not clear what Obama's race means to Asian, Latino, or mixed-ethnicity Americans.

I keep wondering whether race is eventually going to matter and surprise everyone, as some have suggested. It might be particularly hard to tell since each of us only sees a small slice of the electorate, and we see it through our generation's eyes.