The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:42 pm 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
Emphasis added above.

You have inadvertently proven my point.

Let me go one step further. It is not prejudicial to base a decision on a reality that is independent of the mind. Should all natural appetites be legitimized?

That you are prejudiced? I thought so, thanks.

Are you saying me being homosexual is just an appetite? That one day I am just craving men like I might pizza, and the other I might crave women? I guess your appetite goes either way too, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 pm 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
Perhaps you could tell us what rights you are being denied? If you lived in California the list would be zero.

chadwick wrote:
What other relationships are you refering to? I can't really answer your question until you tell me what other interpersonal relationships are at debate here.

Any other relationship. This list could be limitless...

Brother-sister - not eligible for marriage
Multiple spouses (polygamy) - not eligible
Group relationships (commune with multiple partners of both sexes) - not eligible
Adult / minor - not eligible (a prime example of societal values superseding personal desires)

Of course there are some people who will say that anything and everything is ok. I actually respect that opinion (although I most certainly disagree) as at least they are consistent. Most everyone has a limit though. Once you get past the traditional, historical definition though, any other line of definition would seem to be arbitrary at best.

chadwick wrote:
And I know that the term marriage means something...I would like the opportunity, at least, to share in that term.

None of you have yet to answer my question....how is marriage, your marriage, affected by allowing a same-sex couple to marry?

Perhaps because you are not asking the pertinent question. You are asking for a new definition; a changing of the "value" of what constitutes a marriage. It is then, by definition, something different.

Honestly, I do not know all the currently laws in California and how they relate to homosexual couples. But in Georgia, my partner and I do not have access to the same property rights, insurance rights, visiting rights, or MARRIAGE rights as heterosexual residents of this state.

Brother/sister - there are medical implications here; medical implications that are not the same for two unrelated people of the same gender
Multiple Spouses - honestly, I sometimes wonder how I really feel about this one. If there are consenting adults, that want to enter into a relationship together, than why not? However, there are a lot of legal implications that apply to a married couple of two, that cannot apply to a couple with multiple people. That, is a tricky one.
Group Relationships - see above.
Adult/Minor - a minor, exactly that, someone that is to young to legally make such a decision regardless of gender, regardless of sexual orientation.

Okay then...how is the value of your marriage affected by allowing me and my partner to marry one another and share in all of the same legal implications of a heterosexual marriage? How is the value of marriage lessened by two consenting adults, same gender or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
cwbjr67 wrote:
Emphasis added above.

You have inadvertently proven my point.

Let me go one step further. It is not prejudicial to base a decision on a reality that is independent of the mind. Should all natural appetites be legitimized?

That you are prejudiced? I thought so, thanks.

Are you saying me being homosexual is just an appetite? That one day I am just craving men like I might pizza, and the other I might crave women? I guess your appetite goes either way too, huh?

Fair enough. I'll let that comment slide. I understand it was said out of anger. Appetite was an inappropriate term. I apologize. I will refrain from using that vocabulary from now on.

It is the truth that I have been a slave to sexual sin--probably far worse than most. If not for Christ, I don't know how bad it could have been.

If I, with God's help, can change my behavior, then it's possible with anyone.

May God bless you and keep you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
The definition of a word does not trump the rights of a human being.

But for some of us, God's word does.

The God that you believe in, correct?

Yes, the One and Only True God.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

LAMystreaux wrote:
chadwick wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
The definition of a word does not trump the rights of a human being.

But for some of us, God's word does.

The God that you believe in, correct?

Yes, the One and Only True God.

AMEN!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:12 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

And now my friends this thread is now officially locked. Image :lock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm 
All Star
All Star

Good of you to lock the thread after getting in your one last post supporting one side of the argument. :td:

I can't even imagine how reamed I would get if I did that.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7