The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What our Gov. ought to do....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

...is give each American citizen one million dollars. Think about it.....it would help the economy in soooooo many ways. I know I would use the money to pay off any debts and invest the rest. Homeless folks could finally get out of the hole and start fresh again and folks who were about to foreclose on their homes could breath easier!
I think the Gov. giving big money to big companies is a BIG mistake! They need to give it to us tax payers who will jump start our economy back to good health.

What do you guys think?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm 
All Star
All Star

I fear that the inflationary ramifications of giving everyone $1 million would make that amount of money worth much less than it is today. Moreover, as has been seen with lottery winners, people who don't or won't manage money can still become broke no matter how much they start with.

Also since the government's biggest source of revenue is through the many taxes we pay, they would need to recoup the cost of giving us money by, yes that's it, taking that amount from us all over again (with a percentage off the top for the levels of bureaucracy needed for them to exist). The difference in loaning huge amounts to companies is that it hopefully fuels the economic engine so this perpetual motion machine that is our economy can get jump started (at least in theory) so the forward motion is reestablished.

I think the best thing is to give everyone the opportunity to succeed (or fail) by getting government and lawyers out of the way and allowing people to prosper the old fashioned way. I am not a fan of corporate bailouts, but at least corporations employ people and produce a product.

Government is rarely the solution, but almost always, at the very least, a contributing factor in the problem.

Now if they want to give ME $1 million, I might be open to that possibility... :wink:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

Certainly if the USMC has the money to add to the coffers of the ill-tempered multi-millionaire crackheads in the NBA the govt. has the money to cut me loose from the income tax rolls..................Bill