The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I'm sorry, but this is sooooo wrong! Imagine if we had a W.I.G. (whites in government) organization, it would set the ACLU and NAACPs on a witch hunt! What's wrong with this country? I heard on a TV special a few weeks ago saying they really don't see the need for the NAACP now that THEY got what THEY wanted.

I was talking to my sister in NC and she told me how they are still pushing black kids through school. Example a white boy got the same final grade as a black boy, white boy failed but the black boy got extra points because of his color and passed! When are we going to stop this? It's not fair and it causing kids to eventually graduate that need to stay in school! :!:

http://www.bigloc.org/

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 am 
All Star
All Star

Hey Malibu,

I think you are mashing several different topics together. I read the BIG website and I don't really see why people coming together to form a an organization of mutual interests represents a problem. Its what Americans do.

On the school issue, a lot of kids are graduating high school with minimal basic skills, thus the no child left behind program and its aftermath. But its not about color from what I have seen, and I spend a great deal of time with high school teachers heavily involved with different levels in educational programming. Their hands are truly full.

The NAACP is on overtime and probably has seen its better days behind them. But thats due to organizational dysfunction. A dwindling number people of any color see the benefit of donating monies to this organization anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

So if I were to start an organization called W.I.G. (Whites In Government) it wouldn't cause a stink?....Yeah, right! The NAACP would jump on it like flies on crap! Anything whites do without blacks is discriminating, but if blacks do it, they are gathering together on a mutual bases. Where are the whites in the Miss Black USA? Why can't there be a Miss White USA? See where I'm going? There are so many more organizations geared for Blacks Only and I think it is unfair and time for people to take a stand on the issues.

So you are saying that schools are not pushing black kids through? You must go to an all white school and not see the problems that I have seen and heard about.

It's time American treats all of it's citizens EQUAL!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:

You really think this? Or should there be an asterick above 'all'?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Malibu wrote:
So if I were to start an organization called W.I.G. (Whites In Government) it wouldn't cause a stink?....Yeah, right! The NAACP would jump on it like flies on crap! Anything whites do without blacks is discriminating, but if blacks do it, they are gathering together on a mutual bases. Where are the whites in the Miss Black USA? Why can't there be a Miss White USA? See where I'm going? There are so many more organizations geared for Blacks Only and I think it is unfair and time for people to take a stand on the issues.

So you are saying that schools are not pushing black kids through? You must go to an all white school and not see the problems that I have seen and heard about.

I'm with you on this. I occasionally see this thing on the news here "Who's who in BLACK Houston".... Imagine if there was a "Who's who in WHITE Houston" - There would be a riot! Quanell X would have all the TV cameras attention calling for his new Black Panthers to start mugging the white man again..... (If you don't know who Quanell X is - just Google him - a racist hate monger who does nothing but incite hate)....

If we are all equal - and I believe we are - there should be no favoritism. I think we will just see more and more if this now that Obama was elected. Hopefully only 4 years of it though.

OK Rant over - have a nice drum corps day! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Jazzycat1 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:01 am 
All Star
All Star

Sorry I don't agree on classifying a group of people based on a single organization. There is likely a number of African Americans who feel equally strongly as you as not wanting to be perceived as needing or associating with these type of groups.

Fundamentally however, free association is a foundational element of the constitution. And frankly, the type of prejudice being expressed is exactly why. "Its time for Americans to take a stand." Against or for what? You are arguing for eliminating the right of free association for some groups and not for others. We are equal in rights my friend, not in your perception of fairness. Think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

rysa4 wrote:
Sorry I don't agree on classifying a group of people based on a single organization. There is likely a number of African Americans who feel equally strongly as you as not wanting to be perceived as needing or associating with these type of groups.

Fundamentally however, free association is a foundational element of the constitution. And frankly, the type of prejudice being expressed is exactly why. "Its time for Americans to take a stand." Against or for what? You are arguing for eliminating the right of free association for some groups and not for others. We are equal in rights my friend, not in your perception of fairness. Think about it.

If Blacks want to congregate to amuse or pat themselves on the back is fine as long as whites can do it too. THAT is where the problem exist. Like I've respectively expressed, if you are going to allow one organization to allow ONLY their skin color, then ALL races should be allowed to have groups, clubs or organizations based on THEIR skin color......but it won't happened because we will be sited as DISCRIMINATION!

I think if we just erase the word Race from our vocabulary, we might see an improvement in our society.
Scientist now say they have proof through DNA that we are all related anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:34 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

A good friend had this to say;

Don't forget the following:

http://thecongressionalblackcaucus.lee.house.gov/

Any white caucus groups?

http://bcasports.cstv.com/events/bca-events.html

What about white coaches?

http://www.naacp.org/?gclid=CPCqt4rV-ZsCFdVL5QodFlsY-g

About time we had advancement of white people.

http://bhcaberi.htmlplanet.com/favorite_links.html

http://www.littleafrica.com/resources/organizations.htm

Probably not a complete list.

When does America get a White History Month?

Because no one wants to bring it up. All minorities will have the main-stream media's ear. People forget that slavery began when the black war lords sold their own tribesmen/women, usually enemies, to the foreigners for goods/trinkets.

If your Grandmother and mother are white, doesn't that make a mother's child more than 50% white. If this is a medical fact, BHO is not black.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm 
All Star
All Star

I don't know, I could be wrong, but isn't this a government based on the constitution. How many blacks were delagates to that constitutional convention? Better yet, how many whites attending the convention did not own slaves(blacks) ? 12% of the population is black. Have 12% of the presidents been black? There has only been one that I'm aware of & he isn't 100% black. I contend that govt is overwhelmingly white & a black club, group, organization or association has to potential for overturning the status quo. I haven't even mentioned women; native-Americans; GLBT; Asians; Hispanics et.al.............Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:

People forget that slavery began when the black war lords sold their own tribesmen/women, usually enemies, to the foreigners for goods/trinkets.

If your Grandmother and mother are white, doesn't that make a mother's child more than 50% white. If this is a medical fact, BHO is not black.

I am curious as to whether or not you actually believe the first line you wrote up there. I am waiting for the punch line on this. Whites went over to Africa and stole people force ably from their homes and lands and brought them back for the sole purpose of slavery. Your dramatic historical rendition is quite the bit of handwaving in a vain attempt to cover up the over-riding reality. A white-hooded group of guys might agree with you however.

Now on the genetic deal, the definition of "black" is not related to 50%. Its a MUCH lower percentage. Given the cultural melting pot we now have and the multi-racial "hook ups" the definitions don't work anymore really, but they are what they are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
I am curious as to whether or not you actually believe the first line you wrote up there. I am waiting for the punch line on this. Whites went over to Africa and stole people force ably from their homes and lands and brought them back for the sole purpose of slavery. Your dramatic historical rendition is quite the bit of handwaving in a vain attempt to cover up the over-riding reality. A white-hooded group of guys might agree with you however...

You crossed a major line in this post and owe an apology to Malibu. What a terrible thing to say. You sir, are completely out of line here.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 pm 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
I am curious as to whether or not you actually believe the first line you wrote up there. I am waiting for the punch line on this. Whites went over to Africa and stole people force ably from their homes and lands and brought them back for the sole purpose of slavery. Your dramatic historical rendition is quite the bit of handwaving in a vain attempt to cover up the over-riding reality. A white-hooded group of guys might agree with you however.

Not to mention that your accusation of inaccuracies of her statement are nitpicky at best. Perhaps the term "began" can be debated. The African slave trade is multi-faceted and well over a thousand years old so to identify its beginnings with any level of certainty would by problematic. However, I believe the spirit of her statement was that there was lots of blame to pass around, none of which reduces the responsibility for Europeans and Americans involved in the practice.

The African Slave Trade reached its apex in the late 1700s. The raids undertaken to capture slaves from the interior of W. Africa were mostly done by Africans against weaker tribes. The Europeans were concerned with disease and conflict so they allowed these locals to handle the dirty business. An ugly matter on all levels to be sure, but the point that many Africans sold out their own is well taken.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:34 am 
All Star
All Star

So what? Trying to lessen the crimes of immorality and moral sphere violations of white people against black people by saying " Well African tribal Leaders started it" is a cowardly cover up of history.

The reality here is that someone's sister told a story about how a white male who failed actually was allowed to fail while there was a PERCEPTION that an African- American male was allowed to pass with "the same grade" and somehow that is tied to " African tribal leaders started it? " What the heck is that?

Cultural insensitivity at the least. we live in a time of change. And that's more difficult for some than for others. That's the real issue here, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 am 
All Star
All Star

And another thing, there is an organization called the National Association for the Advancement of White People. Its based in Lousiana. Go ahead and join it and see if you like the company.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 am 
All Star
All Star

This is all a bunch of hooey if you ask me. Those who are parts of these groups (for all races) make things about race. I couldn't care less. Live your life, do the best you can for you and yours, and be happy (or not).

I loathe the notion though that the african-americans of today are owed something from us based on things that happened to their ancestors. In the end, I am not responsible, and they are not the victim.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next