The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm
Posts: 827
I agree. My issue is with the re-writing of history and hand washing of some of the wrongs of the past. I also happen to be a " Constitution" kind of person, and despite the environment of the times, believe it holds significant wisdom and guidance, such as the right of free association.

In order to get where your post is at, we should all learn from the misdeeds of the past, or it will likely be repeated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:54 pm
Posts: 1859
rysa4 wrote:
So what? Trying to lessen the crimes of immorality and moral sphere violations of white people against black people by saying " Well African tribal Leaders started it" is a cowardly cover up of history.

The reality here is that someone's sister told a story about how a white male who failed actually was allowed to fail while there was a PERCEPTION that an African- American male was allowed to pass with "the same grade" and somehow that is tied to " African tribal leaders started it? " What the heck is that?

Cultural insensitivity at the least. we live in a time of change. And that's more difficult for some than for others. That's the real issue here, in my opinion.


You sit in judgment of someone based upon your perception of a comment; a comment that was more than valid by the way. Well, I will judge your comment based not on any mere perception, but of your actual words. You twice have attempted to play the racist card against the OP. Saying that "A white-hooded group of guys might agree with you however." is not a comment that is open to interpretation. I am embarrassed that others on this board, who would have taken another certain antagonist to task for such a remark, have let you slide on this.

You have completely ignored the point of the thread. No one has said that there should be limitations on freedom of association (another straw man argument that can be easily attacked). Then you throw in a reference to some fringe group that is not accepted in the mainstream in any way as if there is some true level of comparison. Nonsense!

The point is that what has been deemed to be a socially acceptable "freedom of association" model is limited to specific types of groups, while any effort to form a legitimate counterpart would swiftly and strongly be designated as racist. That is offensive.

You still owe an apology.

_________________
What, it should be Spartacuses??

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm
Posts: 827
Okie dokie! I appreciate your desire to fan flames by accentuating one line out of 5 posts in vain attempt to characterize me as a racist in what essentially is a personal attack on me based on what appear to be your own anger management issues from the drum corps area posts and previous unconnected discussions. In a short phrase, GET OVER IT!

The triple KKK agrees with the concept espoused by the OP, with regards to the organization of African Americans as a way to promote their interests. My pointing this out is not equivalent to calling someone a racist and cannot be characterized as offensive; If I felt that way I would just say it--but I don't.

All I can say is that the inscriptions on the FDR monument in Washington talk extensively about the dangers of the "Slippery Slope." Why don't you look up the inscriptions and read them? For my part, I will always remain vigilant of the slippery slopes towards hate and racism and point them out as I see them and name them, which is somewhat of a duty for us as Americans in the face of what happens in other parts of our world.

On a less dramatic note, you understand that this is the political and religious discussion area of the forums, so folks disagree and express opinions. Are you trying to angle this into some sort of posting violation? ( it has this feel as far as your voodoo postings and rants)

Have a nice day and try and relax a bit. :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:54 pm
Posts: 1859
rysa4 wrote:
Okie dokie! I appreciate your desire to fan flames by accentuating one line out of 5 posts in vain attempt to characterize me as a racist in what essentially is a personal attack on me based on what appear to be your own anger management issues from the drum corps area posts and previous unconnected discussions. In a short phrase, GET OVER IT!

The triple KKK agrees with the concept espoused by the OP, with regards to the organization of African Americans as a way to promote their interests. My pointing this out is not equivalent to calling someone a racist and cannot be characterized as offensive; If I felt that way I would just say it--but I don't.

All I can say is that the inscriptions on the FDR monument in Washington talk extensively about the dangers of the "Slippery Slope." Why don't you look up the inscriptions and read them? For my part, I will always remain vigilant of the slippery slopes towards hate and racism and point them out as I see them and name them, which is somewhat of a duty for us as Americans in the face of what happens in other parts of our world.

On a less dramatic note, you understand that this is the political and religious discussion area of the forums, so folks disagree and express opinions. Are you trying to angle this into some sort of posting violation? ( it has this feel as far as your voodoo postings and rants)

Have a nice day and try and relax a bit. :-)


Yeah, funny that I addressed the one line where you attempt to draw a connection between one person's opinions and the KKK. How nit-picky of me...

It is one thing to express an opinion. Happens all the time. It is quite another to dismiss a poster's views by attempting to draw some sort of vile correlation to an extreme and historically violent racist group. And where did I call you a racist? I said YOU were using the racist card to bolster your position and I stand by that.

What kind of person would I be if I let this kind of crap pass without a challenge? I won't sit by while accusations and innuendos are made about any of the fine people on here, whether we agree politically or not.

Voodoo postings and rants...too funny! Too bad you can't get past the habit of trying to marginalize others to boost your own arguments.

_________________
What, it should be Spartacuses??

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Posts: 951
Location: North Louisiana
Not to fan the flames, but the KKK is no longer a viable force in today's racism. It has become much more complex, as well as dangerous & deadly...........Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm
Posts: 827
You are not fanning flames from my point of view....you are right in my opinion and I agree with you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm
Posts: 827
WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
rysa4 wrote:
Okie dokie! I appreciate your desire to fan flames by accentuating one line out of 5 posts in vain attempt to characterize me as a racist in what essentially is a personal attack on me based on what appear to be your own anger management issues from the drum corps area posts and previous unconnected discussions. In a short phrase, GET OVER IT!

The triple KKK agrees with the concept espoused by the OP, with regards to the organization of African Americans as a way to promote their interests. My pointing this out is not equivalent to calling someone a racist and cannot be characterized as offensive; If I felt that way I would just say it--but I don't.

All I can say is that the inscriptions on the FDR monument in Washington talk extensively about the dangers of the "Slippery Slope." Why don't you look up the inscriptions and read them? For my part, I will always remain vigilant of the slippery slopes towards hate and racism and point them out as I see them and name them, which is somewhat of a duty for us as Americans in the face of what happens in other parts of our world.

On a less dramatic note, you understand that this is the political and religious discussion area of the forums, so folks disagree and express opinions. Are you trying to angle this into some sort of posting violation? ( it has this feel as far as your voodoo postings and rants)

Have a nice day and try and relax a bit. :-)


Yeah, funny that I addressed the one line where you attempt to draw a connection between one person's opinions and the KKK. How nit-picky of me...

It is one thing to express an opinion. Happens all the time. It is quite another to dismiss a poster's views by attempting to draw some sort of vile correlation to an extreme and historically violent racist group. And where did I call you a racist? I said YOU were using the racist card to bolster your position and I stand by that.

What kind of person would I be if I let this kind of crap pass without a challenge? I won't sit by while accusations and innuendos are made about any of the fine people on here, whether we agree politically or not.

Voodoo postings and rants...too funny! Too bad you can't get past the habit of trying to marginalize others to boost your own arguments.


Like I basically said, I understand your need/abilities to turn relevant and appropriate discussions into some sort of single focus personal attack - my posts are not so much for you frankly, and I appreciate the opportunity you are giving me to discuss the slippery slopes of what essentially amounts to hate and racial tensions.

A post or posts that questions the right of free of association and tries to intimate that somehow slavery and its ills committed by white people against African Americans is lessened as a moral sphere violation because " they did it first," is worthy of comment. I don't know how to be any more plain than that. Be clear that that is what you are defending, no matter how you try and turn this.

My posts are issue driven, and are based on opinions ( mine only), not on personal dislikes of an individual. As far as your wanting to conjur up a personal batle of some sort-- all I can say is " Like they say in South Georgia...you can't polish a turd." Check your toilet. :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:54 pm
Posts: 1859
rysa4 wrote:
Like I basically said, I understand your need/abilities to turn relevant and appropriate discussions into some sort of single focus personal attack - my posts are not so much for you frankly, and I appreciate the opportunity you are giving me to discuss the slippery slopes of what essentially amounts to hate and racial tensions.

A post or posts that questions the right of free of association and tries to intimate that somehow slavery and its ills committed by white people against African Americans is lessened as a moral sphere violation because " they did it first," is worthy of comment. I don't know how to be any more plain than that. Be clear that that is what you are defending, no matter how you try and turn this.

My posts are issue driven, and are based on opinions ( mine only), not on personal dislikes of an individual. As far as your wanting to conjur up a personal batle of some sort-- all I can say is " Like they say in South Georgia...you can't polish a turd." Check your toilet. :-)


I am so glad you "understand" my needs and/or abilities. Another adversary marginalized by your superior intellect. Do we have a "pats on the head" emoticon that he can use next time?

You make leaps where steps are appropriate. I am sick of this type of argument where a statement is turned into something it was never intended to be so that people like you can claim the high moral ground. It is all too common to shout "racism" every time someone from a non-protected group mentions race. I don't know and don't care who you personally like or dislike. It is not relevant. You made a statement; I replied with facts. Those facts didn't fit your point of view so you again attacked the motive as you see it. And my posts are not for you frankly, but to balance the stuff you spew. And to defend the honor of a lady and friend. I could do no less.

_________________
What, it should be Spartacuses??

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:54 pm
Posts: 1859
Blurae1 wrote:
Not to fan the flames, but the KKK is no longer a viable force in today's racism. It has become much more complex, as well as dangerous & deadly...........Bill

Well, I don't know about the "more dangerous and deadly" part because there was a time in recent history where violence and murder based on race were much more commonplace and supported, at least tacitly, by the ruling establishment. However, groups like the KKK may not be what they once were as far as their control or influence, I still would never suggest that someone is connected to their ideals based on a statement. Much as the Nazi party of the 1930s and 1940s was much more powerful and influential than they are today, I would never try to insinuate that a poster's statements are the same as those held by the Nazis.

Trust me, if that or anything like that were said about you, I would be the first to stand in your defense. We may not agree on every detail, but what I do know about you reveals enough of your character to justify your defense.

_________________
What, it should be Spartacuses??

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Posts: 951
Location: North Louisiana
I understand I might be the pot calling the kettle black, but we have left the realm of meaningful discussion & have entered the netherworld of character assination. I know Ive done my share, but its time to call a truce.................Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am 
Offline
All Star
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm
Posts: 827
Agreed !- here is my definition of the day for the group:

shopworn discuss
Definition: (adjective) Repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse.
Synonyms: hackneyed, old-hat, stock, threadbare, timeworn, banal, trite, well-worn, tired, commonplace
Usage: Her acting ability was overshadowed by the script's shopworn dialogue and poorly developed plot.

See ya next time!

:lol:

PS: I don't think anybody on this thread is a racist nor have I said or insinuated that. I do think everyone has different life experiences and challenges and I think its a good thing for folks to try and wear other folks shoes now and again. I spent a day in a wheelchair once, along with two other folks, to see how it felt to be perceived as having a disability. An eye opening experience to be sure.

Lastly - WAS- your posts are voodoo rants; no 'facts.' And your "people like you" statement pretty much says it all...how sad. I'd still 'defend' your 'honor' to say it though. Say hello to me sometime in person. I'd be happy to shake your hand.


Last edited by rysa4 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Houston TX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HcG_47xsbU :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B.I.G. Blacks In Government
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:40 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:40 pm
Posts: 1729
Location: Northern Colorado
Seems like when a discussion is more about personal attacks than discussing the topic at hand, its time for it to come to an end.

Closing this thread up now.

_________________
Marianne
BK Rifle 68-74
Trooper Sis: 1984
Trooper Aunt: 2005


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group