Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nobel Peace Prize History
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am 
All Star
All Star

1906 Theodore Roosevelt - 1st sitting US President to receive this award largely for authoring the peace treaty between Russia and Japan to end the Russo-Japanese war, which had resulted in as many as 130,000 casualties over the 20-month conflict. T.R. was forever memorialized by Gutzon Borglum at Mt. Rushmore.

1919 Woodrow Wilson - Re-elected in 1916 as he had at that point managed to keep the U.S. out of what would become known as WWI. He proceeded to institute the first military draft after being somewhat forced into the conflict by Germany attempting to get Mexico as an ally by promising them Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Toward the end of the war, his Fourteen Points outlined a vision of a post-war world that could avoid similar large-scale wars. He was instrumental in the negotiations with Germany including the armistice. He did effectively suppress anti-war movements which, to many would not be seen as a favorable achievement in today's world. However, the benefit of a united people facing such an arduous task was important it seems.

1952 Albert Schweitzer - Nominated for his work as a Missionary Surgeon

1953 George Marshall - Former Sec. of State. Namesake of The Marshall Plan that helped rebuild Europe after WWII.

1964 Martin Luther King Jr. - Seminal civil rights leader, assassinated in 1968.

1979 Mother Teresa - 'Nuff said.

1983 Lech Walesa - Human rights campaigner

1984 Desmond Tutu - Worked against apartheid.

1994 Yasser Arafat - Nominated jointly for his participation in the Oslo treaty, however his links to terrorism against civilians as head of the P.L.O. forever tainted this award.

2007 The IPCC and Al Gore - Ostensibly for using global scare tactics (c'mon, did you see An Inconvenient Truth? Effectively, for the moment, shutting down valid and important scientific debate by labeling as "deniers" anyone who questioned their arguments (many already disproved). A politically agenda-driven award (not the first time, nor apparently, the last).

2009 President Barack Obama - With the nominations due only 10 days after his taking office, this name of this award should be changed to the "I'm Not GW" award. This is a joke; as politically driven as this award has been in the past, this has reached a new low. They couldn't even wait for him to try to accomplish anything before gushing over this recipient.

Gandhi never won this award, but apparently President Obama eclipsed Gandhi's achievements simply be being elected.

The committee has zero credibility...

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: Re: Nobel Peace Prize History
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

1978 1. Anwar Sadat and Menachim begin co-awarded

1994 1. Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin jointly with Yasser Arafat

It's actually today's Guardian release ( which you have re-iterated above) that has zero credibility.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 am 
All Star
All Star

NEW YORK - The Downtown Athletic Club, in a surprise and unprecedented move, has named President Barack Obama as the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner. Apparently, Mr. Obama has watched many college football games over the years and the DAC agreed that he would have made an excellent player.

On a related note, the President is also being nominated for an Oscar by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. Sources indicate that Mr. Obama has indeed seen many movies over his lifetime.

:^^:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
1978 1. Anwar Sadat and Menachim begin co-awarded

1994 1. Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin jointly with Yasser Arafat

It's actually today's Guardian release ( which you have re-iterated above) that has zero credibility.

Yes, I believe I pointed out that Arafat's prize was awarded jointly. There have been many debatable choices over the years, but at least those people had the chance to actually do something before they were chosen.

Unfortunately, since I don't read the Guardian and as no link was included, I have no idea what you are speaking about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

then where did you get your list from? It has more than the joint appointments with Yasser Arafat missing. The Guardian is a well known British source that made the exact same omissions you did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
then where did you get your list from? It has more than the joint appointments with Yasser Arafat missing. The Guardian is a well known British source that made the exact same omissions you did.

Well, I started here:
http://nobelprizes.com/nobel/peace/peace.html

Then began creating the list of U.S Presidents that had won the prize, but decided along the way that several other notable entries were too important to pass up. The names I listed were then researched to gather the few details about their accomplishments that I mentioned. (Note: All of them, for good or bad, at least had accomplishments, BTW.)

and finally read some more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

Maybe you can provide a link to this article to which you are referring. Also, I omitted nothing. I never stated this was a comprehensive list of winners. Anyone can find that for themselves. I never omitted the fact that Arafat's was awarded jointly (moot point anyway; he still was honored by the committee). I never mentioned Jimmy Carter either because his award was not for his accomplishments as President.

Any resemblance to ANY other current publication including (and especially) the Guardian are purely coincidental.

So if the Guardian piece, which you claim is identical to my post, has zero credibility, perhaps you might wish to defend this award? You might want to include your take on the portion of the Will of Alfred Nobel which reads:

"The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses..."

http://nobelprize.org/alfred_nobel/will ... mente.html

Which of then candidate Obama's accomplishments qualifies him for this award?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 am 
All Star
All Star

Thank you. A few points;

1. This was your own concocted list, which as you say, was never intended to be complete. Fair enough.
2. of course I agree that the award was not deserved by our President.
3. Frankly, HE agrees with you as well.

The commission that awarded this, did so as an attempt to manipulate his behavior with regards to other areas of the world. I thought that from the first second.

The EU is a bunch of cowards who do not want to deal with the reality of real conflict any more as a reaction to the world wars, won't spend the money to have a real military ( we do that for them) and are completely ineffectual in solving world problems. This commission is an extension of EU thought process in my opinion in this particular award.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:21 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
Thank you. A few points;

1. This was your own concocted list, which as you say, was never intended to be complete. Fair enough.
2. of course I agree that the award was not deserved by our President.
3. Frankly, HE agrees with you as well.

The commission that awarded this, did so as an attempt to manipulate his behavior with regards to other areas of the world. I thought that from the first second.

The EU is a bunch of cowards who do not want to deal with the reality of real conflict any more as a reaction to the world wars, won't spend the money to have a real military ( we do that for them) and are completely ineffectual in solving world problems. This commission is an extension of EU thought process in my opinion in this particular award.

If your assumption is correct and if the Administration had the same thoughts, then accepting it was a huge mistake. In effect it is a glorified bribe. He was advised by many to gracefully decline the award. That would have shown leadership IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:36 am 
All Star
All Star

Well. You are right. He SHOULD have declined followed by his usual oratory skill that made clear that he and we would do what needed to be done to achieve peace, and then let history decide.

I think his 'call to action' approach fell on deaf ears as far as other nations and Iran for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:59 am 
All Star
All Star

I think our current president deserved the award no more than our past president. As far as Im concerned there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them................Bill