Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Impressions from Drums on Parade
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hi! I went to Drums on Parade in Madison last evening. Great time! Saw lots of friends I hadn't seen in a while, and saw some good drum corps. I didn't take any notes, so these are general impressions.

Kilties(51.8) - Looks like a rough year. Smallest Kilt hornline in a while - less than 30 horns. Best part of the show was a humorous baritone duet during Bohemian Rhapsody. One player was well over 6 feet tall, while the other had to be under 5 feet. They did a lot of sight gags that made the crowd chuckle.

Pioneer(57.9) - Surprisingly, the only tune I recognized as Irish was Gary Owen, which they played as part of their closer. 30 horns, but a very weak sound. Kudos to their drill designer for designing moments where their horns were downstage of their pit, giving them a chance to project better.

Colts(65.5) - Good, straight ahead drum corps with complete melodies - what a concept! Nice use of color in the flags. Uniform change to white shirts with vests ( I think I got that right) really pops on the field. Nice, full sound out of the hornline.

Troopers(68.2) - Most pleasant surprise of the evening. First, they're huge! Big, big horn sound. After a couple years of music choices that made me scratch my head, this year's show is firmly in their wheelhouse. From the opening fanfare from "The Big Country" to "Battle Hymn", complete with this year's version of the sunburst, this is a show that will warm the heart of Trooper alumni and fans. My sentimental choice for 12th place.

Blue Stars(68.3) - WAY too much electronics, including what I thought was unnecessary miking of soloists. Lots of talent there, but I'm not liking the vehicle at all.

Crossmen(68.4) - Interesting theme - "Protest". Can't remember too much about the show except the closer included "We shall Overcome." My general impression was was that I was pleased with what I was seeing and hearing. Good, straight ahead drum corps.

Troopers, Blue Stars and Crossmen shape up to be one of the more exciting rivalries of the summer. Should be a lot fun to watch these guys go head to head.

Cavaliers(73.8) - Felt like I was back at my fraternity initiation as I watched the Cavies come on the field with their robes on. I get what they're trying to do, but I have to wonder if the robes are a help of a hinderance. On the one hand, they may be hiding dirt. On the other hand, they may be making hard to tell if the corps is marching clean. I like what they're doing visually, particularly with their guard. I need to see this show again to get a better handle on the music. From what my friends were saying, they thought there was a lot of dirt in the drum line - more than they are used to for a Cavies line at this point in the season.

Madison Scouts(75.1) - Saw them at one of their dress rehearsals, and they have made a ton of progress. One of the better Scout drum lines I've see in a while. While their guard doesn't match the Cavies, they have a lot of responsibility for selling the show, and they are holding up their end of the bargain. For the first time, the alumni in the stands sang "Never Walk" with the corps at that point in the show. Extremely moving. The plan is to continue doing this for the rest of the tour. Ought to be goosebump city by the time they get to Indy.

After the scores were announced, a sizable group of Scouts alumni joined the corps to play Ice Castles and Never Walk. Ice Castles, in particular, was deafening. Also, it was announced that the Madison Scouts and their alumni have been invited to perform in the 2014 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade(Thanks, Mike! :-))

As a longtime Scouts fan, I'm pleased that they won. But, the gap between them and the Cavies continues to shrink. I can see them swapping victories before too long.

Last edited by Jim Anello on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Impressions from Drums on Parade
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I was there too, Jim. Sorry I missed you. Took my daughter to her first show in years. Now she wants to go Indy, if she enough pto at work.

I agree with most of your comments. We seemed to be more impressed with Crossmen than you, however. Really liked their show music (Some Nights by fun.) My daughter was happy to hear that song since she couldn't make to Summerfest.

While the robes work with the concept for the Cavies, I hadn't thought about hiding dirt. Someone behind us was saying the guard change under the tarp was newly added.

We had a 2 hour drive home and skipped the encore, but heard Empire State of Mind as we headed back to our car.

Scouts will be in the Macy's parade in 2014.

Don't cry because it's over.
SMILE because it's happened!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the review! Great to see this on the forum again.

I wish Spirit had been at that show as I'd be curious what your thoughts were on them and how they mix in this group.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
Thanks for the review! Great to see this on the forum again.

I wish Spirit had been at that show as I'd be curious what your thoughts were on them and how they mix in this group.

I'll let you know after I see them Friday at Whitewater.

(Actually, I'm driving two of the judges from the Milwaukee airport to Whitewater. REALLY!)

Profile E-mail