Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite 2013 shows
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I thought I'd start this thread to see if anybody is still here.

My favorite shows for this year are going to surprise you.

"For entertainment purpose":

1. Madison Scouts...Great show and great to hear Joe Bruno announce again.
2. Academy....I love the Cafe show.
3. Cavaliers....well designed. Needs better performance.
4. Mandarins....I actually like this show
5. Spirit.....fun show
6. Jersey Surf....really fun show.

"For outstanding performance"

1. Blue Devils....I really like this show. Surprised? I am too.
2. Crown...Great brass!!

"All Around"

1. SCV....I love the arrangements, the drill, everything about this show. I wish they would win, but I'm not sure if it will happen. One of my favorite sections is when the entire brass, minus the soloist, are hiding backfield. Even the guard. Classy, and just beautiful.

I'm sure you all have different opinions. Please share. Let me know that somebody is alive in here. :)

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Favorite 2013 shows
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

Of course, I like Scouts, but I'm concerned that the show doesn't have the demand, and that they have been passed by the Cavies, and could be passed by both Boston and Blue Knights.

SCV is very exciting to me. Le Miz is a great vehicle for them. I suppose this is obvious, since both musicals come from the same design team, but it reminds me of the Miss Saigon show.

My other favorites are - surprise! - Colts and Troopers. Essentially, both corps are being themselves. That's good news to me, especially in the case of the Troopers.

While Crown's horn line is magnificent, I need to see the show some more times to better understand what they are trying to accomplish. Ditto for Cadets, although even I can see that they have one helluva battery.

Biggest downer for me is the overdependence on props for GE. To me, it is visual noise getting in the way of enjoying the MM performance. Bluecoats, in particular, bothered me. It used to be that the MM built forms/pictures on the field to establish effect. Canton arranges chorus risers so members can place themselves like so many statues, or worse yet, do "trust falls" off the back end of the risers. This is creativity? Really??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I definitely agree about Bluecoats. However, SCV is using props in a good way.

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:48 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I've only been to the Madison show in June and I bought the ppv for Murphreesboro, so my viewing is limited.

Like Jim, I really enjoy Madison's show. But they seem to follow the same formula every year. Come out strong, peak early, but peter out at the end. Still, love the show.

I've gone back and watched SCV a couple of times. Might they be able to make a push for top 3? Hmmmmm.

I really enjoyed Crossmen and am looking forward to seeing the show in Indy up higher to see the forms better.

I am looking forward to seeing Spirit. I enjoy Crown's show an can't wait to see it live (twice). Even if I don't completely 'get it'.

Don't cry because it's over.
SMILE because it's happened!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 am 
All Star
All Star

Couldn't agree with you more about Madison's pattern. Just did some number crunching comparing scores from regional to regional. For example, the Cavies had a terrific week from Minneapolis to San Antonio, gaining 4.6 points. Similarly, Boston had a great week from San Antonio to Atlanta, gaining 4.05 points. Blue Knights had a 3.95 week between Minneapolis and San Antonio, gaining 3.95 points. So far, the best week for the Scouts was from Minneapolis to San Antonio with 3.1 points.

I also looked at these corps comparing from the Atlanta regional to the most recent show, and Madison's had a really bad week, only gaining 1.1 from Atlanta to last night. In comparison, Boston's gained 2.25 points and BK 2.25 points.

If Madison doesn't find that other gear right now, they could be looking at 10th place next week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

I really like the Scouts' show...
But,as has been said...
It's just not there... :dno:

Pretty much a ditto...
For Colts & Troopers...
Great shows, but lacking... :shades:

I hate narrated shows...
But I love Mandarin's show... :clap:
And am awed by Crown's brass... :bow:

When I heard SCV was doing Les Miz...
I thought, "Hasn't that been done to death?"... :well:
But it's becoming my favorite show of the year... :towel:

'Til later..

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Madison's show is my favorite but it is definitly missing something. Just not sure what. I do like their entrance onto the field with the voice cadence across the backfield and the old school "off the line"

I like Crown better than BD this year. Both shows are clean but BD's drumline is the difference.

SCV - great performance.

Lots of good shows out there but to many props. Some are used very well and others just don't need to be there.

Not a fan of mic'd horns and some of the narration is a bit much.

Looks like tight battles for 1-2 and 3-4. Should be an interesting finals week.

http://www.valleyairs.org

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 am 
All Star
All Star

My favorite is SCV, just love it! I also really enjoy Spirit of Atlanta. I quite honestly don't get why they aren't scoring higher and challenging Blue Knights and Boston. And it really puzzles me to see Blue Stars passing them now.

I also really like Troopers this year, but as much as I'd like to see this one make Finals, it think it is just missing on difficulty to challenge Blue Stars, Spirit and Crossmen.

I also really enjoy Crown. While not a huge fan of narration either, there usage doesn't make me uncomfortable as narration often does.

Madison is also one I am enjoying.

Now, for disappointments:
* Boston, Blue Stars and Blue Knights - I usually love all three of these corps but this year they are all a miss for me. I just can't get into any of their programs.
* Phantom Regiment - same as the three above, I usually love Phantom shows, but this year it just isn't doing it for me. And that witch thing in the backfield is just awkward and seemes so emmature for Phantom.
* Cadets - I like the show, but it just doesn't have that tempo or 'wow' factor that I usually get with Cadets
* Blue Devils - I haven't liked there shows the past few years, and this one is also a bit disappointing, though not as much as the past couple years

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am 
All Star
All Star

Agree on Regiment. Outside of Nimrod, they leave me cold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I liked Mandarins too. But I love SCV!!! I doubt they will win, but I wish they would. In Allentown, they got much more applause than Cadets!! And it was a home show for Cadets too.

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:01 am 
All Star
All Star

How all went to the theater last night? There are some fantastic shows this year indeed. SCV still blew me away and I liked how the announcers mentioned they did so but not over utilizing electronics - just good, old fashioned drum corps performed very well. That is one show I will watch over and over.

Madison, Spirit and Troopers are also still at the top of my list. I ended up enjoying Bluecoats a lot more than I have up until now. I'm still not a huge fan of Blue Knights, Boston or Blue Devils. I just do not get how Blue Devils is ahead of Crown, SCV or Cadets. I also don't see how the Cavies are scoring as high as they are. I noticed interval issues and the color guard seemed to have issues staying in unison with the flags.

Overall though, great show and it was good to see the theater I was at about 75% full.