* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer 2017 Drum Corps Season
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hi everyone!

The season is about to get underway! I have only watched the Cadets show online so far. Lots of talent and effort and flashes of brilliance. For me, the show has many areas of cacophonous disorganization by design, so it isn't working for me yet overall.

I wish everyone well!

Post subject: Re: Summer 2017 Drum Corps Season
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

So I was looking at scores from tonight's performances. I looked at the recaps. And found...no percussion or brass scores. But color guard, visual performance, and two general effect columns with two subdivided scores in each. My only comment is that this is very far away from what I enjoy when I watch corps. I dig the brass and percussion and their challenges and execution. I like complex drill too. I will still go to a show this summer of course and support my old team too...but alas... I am a dinosaur.

Post subject: Re: Summer 2017 Drum Corps Season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

HI - I was wondering who has seen the Cadets and the Boston Crusaders shows this year. Boston finished ahead of Cadets tonight so congrats to them - just wondering what folks are seeing. I am looking forward to the Houston show in about a week.

Post subject: July 21st Houston Texas Show
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 am 
All Star
All Star

Hi everyone; here is my short review of a great show last night - the only one I will see this year!

1. Nice outdoor stadium about 4 miles from my house - seats in the upper deck right on the 50 yard line. great weather after the lightning strikes moved on - sold out on the corps side ( first time I have seen that at this show!) 8 of the top 12 corps performing - including the top 5 - LIFE IS GOOD!

2. Crossmen - much improved over last year - brass is quite loud. enjoyed the show. No need to get picky. just sat back and enjoyed.

3. Blue knights - loved the music! All parts of the musical ensemble seemed damn good to me. Snare line tore it up and had a good time doing it. Nice writing. Liked the female snare drummer tearin it up too! Horn line on a different plateau than the Crossmen. ( they performed back to back). problem - color guard - er- basically there is none. really. They kind of just flitter around disconnected from the show and not noticeable. Just out there with some pink curved tubes. At one point they did spin some nice lookin flags mixed in with the corps but that was it. Some one over on DCP was posting how BK might "catch" the Cadets. Not without a guard they won't. If they would focus on the guard they could move up a few notches as a corps in the future. Until then - they are where they are. But I loved the music!

4. Caroline Crown - um. Wow~! So this would be the show I would want to see on a DVD more than any other from this season. Why? Two reasons - 1. Brass - so they are truly special. Not just this year. But in my mnind - compared across the history of drum corps. The total musical package for me. Subtlety, intensity, power, uniformity, musicality, pitch, and on and on. Do horns get better than this? 2. Vocalist - loved the integration with the show and various style changes and even some of her visuals! Interesting and creative! The part where they moved their little triangle percussion settings out a bit she was well integrated into some thing I will only described as highly creative. Loved it! Horn line, vocalist and creativity for this show makes it a must see again for me. Drum line - not so much. The members are playing their show well for sure- but the snare line writing is simply behind the times- just old and cold.

5. Bluecoats - highly entertaining start to finish. Probably the most overall purely energetic show of the night. The main obvious prop in the center of the field is used well and was highly effective. Some nice soloists - just a whole lot of fun for me to watch and hear. One moment of amusement was when the bass drummers are marching across the fifty north to south and the middle bass drummer pulled a quick 360 without missing a beat. It just was amusing to me. Nice show! Brass great - but it is a year of truly excellent horn lines for the three front runners so Bluecoats will stay in 4th for the year. Loved the show!

6. Blue Devils - so I am sitting there waiting for yet another Blue Devils show ( hasn't been my cup of tea in the past) - and it starts with more of the same - technically excellent and near flawless - certainly creative - but no real music ( to me) and then a trumpet guy on a ladder on the 40 to my right starts playing a real tune - and the corps jumps right in - OMG -real music from the Blue Devils! I about fell over! And their field coverage and interesting approaches across all corps sections was wonderful! I really dig their show this year! So engaging to me and colorful and creative and excellent. A total package! Only comment - the big snare line, which included the quad players at the the beginning of the show doesn't work. Actually they won't win drums this year because of this and its effect on the performance overall. You can't take match grip players, turn them to traditional grip for 2.5 minutes of your show opener, and expect top level impact and excellence. All you get is caution and a line trying to just make it through so they can get to the good stuff. And it shows. As soon as the true snare line forms on the ladder to the right, and the quads pick up their quads- its like watching and hearing tigers being let of a cage. And it is obvious.

7. Cavaliers - great show! Risk taking color guard! Snare line focused on "getting it right" - entertaining. Nice front ensemble. Horn line doin as best as they can too! Challenge - they have maxed their show as far as I can tell. Kinda got no where to go for the rest of the season as far as any major changes/improvements/movement. Great show and great performance! Ste and done.

8. Phantom - really a single theme show throughout. This is the "I'm too sexy for your shirt" color guard show. And that's it. No problem. Kinda a one trick pony. The snare line at the beginning when they march in a straight line along the yard line heading back field were truly horrible. I was thinking " how the mighty have fallen " but then they turn line up and face the fans and start digging in and playing - and had a pretty good rest of the show. They, as a corps, actually might catch BK this year just based on the fact that they have a real guard. They still have room to grow this year in my opinion.

9. Santa Clara Vanguard - so here we have the technical excellence of the night award across all sections. Wow! Marching? - top notch and challenging, drum line? out of sight and clear leader ( to me anyway) - horns? super awesome! Guard - challenging integrated work throughout. Nice GE and creative show - not too reliant on props or electronics. It is the modern version of old school drum corps with a contemporary update and look and feel. Totally dig this show! Big wow factor for me!

Final bottom lines from me:

1. Top drumline - SCV - no one is close this year. Their trophy to win!
2. Top horn line - Carolina Crown - just a cut above the rest. One for the ages.
3. Top color guard - I don't know!
4. Top GE and visual - Blue Devils
5. 2017 DCI champion - Blue Devils.
6. Most improved - Blue Knights music ( horns, percussion, and hornline together - get a guard guys and integrate them into the show!)

Have a great rest of the summer!