Joe Genero hospitalized

Discuss Senior and Alumni Corps events, news and other activities

Moderator: The Moderating Team

FD
Veteran
Veteran

Joe Genero hospitalized

Post by FD » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Joe has been in the hospital with a serious relapse of preumonia, complicated by Diabetes.
Even if you don't know him personally, chances are you were taught by someone who learned from him or his work. His influence in drum corps over the past 50 years is enormous.
Please send him a card or note.

Joe Genero
c/o Danbury Hospital
24 Hospital Ave
Danbury, CT
"In my view.." is the implicit intro to all posts.

WE ARE SPARTACI
All Star
All Star

Post by WE ARE SPARTACI » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Of course, I wish him the very best. Pneumonia isn't something to take lightly.

Can anyone give us a brief bio so we can all appreciate his contribution to drum corps?
What, it should be Spartacuses??

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

FD
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FD » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:35 pm

Joe Genero taught and arranged brass for dozens of corps, starting in the late '50s. Among the most prominent are the Hawthorne Caballeros, Hurricanes, Queensmen, Bridgeport PAL, Loretto and countless others. Out of these corps came the next generation of instructors, all modelling their mentor: Donald Angelica, John Sasso, George Rodriguez...etc. They, in turn, taught the likes of Jack Meehan, Wayne Downey and yours truly.
Blue Devil oldtimers will tell you that Jim Ott constantly played Joe's Hurricane recordings ("Rhapsody in Blue", "Messiah", "Mag 7") to study the powerful brass sounds he achieved.
If you marched in Garfield, Madison, Troopers, Bridgemen, Muchachos, 27th Lancers, VK, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Westshore, Sunrisers, Matadors, Freelancers, Santa Clara, Blue Devils, Spirit or any corps whose staff came of age in the '60s or '70s, you were taught by someone influenced by Joe Genero.
"In my view.." is the implicit intro to all posts.

frankiE
All Star
All Star

Post by frankiE » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:07 am

FD

Hopefully the season will propel Joe back into good health, yesterday public radio was playing Handel's Messiah in total with period arrangements and instruments, always amazed me what Joe Genero could write for drumcorps.

Although most old time senior chat is about Hawthorne and Skyliners, the Hurricane shows are what I remember most, especially the soprano and mellophone lines, not to mention every contra bass players dream: Hang em High! Waiting to step off in the 1966 American Legion parade in Washington DC, our little Little Falls Cadets corps was across from the mighty Hurricanes: myself and my fellow contra bass took it upon ourself to play some contra rips acrosss the street and the Hurricanes responded with their color presentation! That is one ear worm that will never escape from my head!

I believe the Hurricane motto was " We may be beaten but we will never be out-hustled"! ( or something to that effect ) Hope that energy brings Joe Genero back to good health!

Good Health and Season's Greetings to all ( and prayers for Joe )

frankiE

Can anyone name the Retro Hurricane sopranos from the 2004 closer?
wherever you go there you are