What was the penalty for?

Discuss Senior and Alumni Corps events, news and other activities

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Dan Kelly
All Star
All Star

What was the penalty for?

Post by Dan Kelly » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Bushwackers had a one point penalty that dropped them to third. Anyone tell us what it was for?
Dan Kelly
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm

My guess is that the penalty was for choosing to troop the stands instead of exiting to their left and directly off the field like the other twelve corps did that evening. I could see the DCA officials approach with their arms outstreched as if they were saying, "What are you doing?!?" as the corps approached. This really messed up the logistics as it delayed Reading from getting set up on the field. Not only that, but it had the definite appearance of taunting. It certainly wasn't a matter of ignorance on their part - they exited properly after prelims!

They got what they deserved. No pun intended - it was a bush move on their part.
Jim Anello

Mike
All Star
All Star

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:20 am

Jim Anello wrote:My guess is that the penalty was for choosing to troop the stands instead of exiting to their left and directly off the field like the other twelve corps did that evening. I could see the DCA officials approach with their arms outstreched as if they were saying, "What are you doing?!?" as the corps approached. This really messed up the logistics as it delayed Reading from getting set up on the field. Not only that, but it had the definite appearance of taunting. It certainly wasn't a matter of ignorance on their part - they exited properly after prelims!

They got what they deserved. No pun intended - it was a bush move on their part.
A thread on DCP goes over this...yes, it was for trooping the stands.

Seems the two folks who led the corps off the field (this according to a Bush staffer on DCP) are 16/17 year old rookies who turned the way they usually did during the season.

They didn't do it during prelims because the Jolesch guy was motioning them to follow him for pictures.

It was a mistake, plain and simple...mostly on the part of the staff for not "being there" when needed to provide guidance.

Mike

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:19 am

Mike wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:My guess is that the penalty was for choosing to troop the stands instead of exiting to their left and directly off the field like the other twelve corps did that evening. I could see the DCA officials approach with their arms outstreched as if they were saying, "What are you doing?!?" as the corps approached. This really messed up the logistics as it delayed Reading from getting set up on the field. Not only that, but it had the definite appearance of taunting. It certainly wasn't a matter of ignorance on their part - they exited properly after prelims!

A thread on DCP goes over this...yes, it was for trooping the stands.

Seems the two folks who led the corps off the field (this according to a Bush staffer on DCP) are 16/17 year old rookies who turned the way they usually did during the season.

They didn't do it during prelims because the Jolesch guy was motioning them to follow him for pictures.

It was a mistake, plain and simple...mostly on the part of the staff for not "being there" when needed to provide guidance.

Mike
I read that thread after I posted. The explanation makes sense, and I feel for the kids. That being said, this was a recoverable error. Why didn't their staff intercept the corps the moment they made the turn back to the stands? The DCA officials met the corps at about the 50 yard line. At that point, the horn line was roughly in an ellipse. Even at that point, the corps could have gotten pointed the right way with some quick thinking by the staff and the drum majors. It's too bad somebody didn't pick up the ball and run with it.

I agree. Their staff should have been there to help.
Jim Anello