A RING for VFW or AL Champs

Discuss Senior and Alumni Corps events, news and other activities

Moderator: The Moderating Team

SCVBaritone
Soloist
Soloist

Post by SCVBaritone » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:04 pm

felixh wrote:I once lost my 79 BD Champ ring,...first year they were offered.....after contacting the Blue Devils, I was put in contact with Jostens, the school ring folks,....the total price for my replacement ring was $100...this was last year....would it not be easier for VFW to use an established ring company like Jostens to make the rings for them?....this is what DCI does I imagine?....just an idea! 8-)
Thanks Felixh, That's more of my spending range. Jostens! I will pass this along. By the way,I remember someone saying they saw a BD championship ring on E-bay. Did you ever hear that story?

Ben
1969,70 SCV Contra
1971 SCV Baritone
1971 Winter Guard Instructor
1964-68 San Leandro Royalaires
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008
SCV&BD Alumni Combined Corps 2007
SF Renegades 2009,2010,2012
2016-17 50th Anniversary SCV Alumni Corps

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm

SCVBaritone wrote:
felixh wrote:I once lost my 79 BD Champ ring,...first year they were offered.....after contacting the Blue Devils, I was put in contact with Jostens, the school ring folks,....the total price for my replacement ring was $100...this was last year....would it not be easier for VFW to use an established ring company like Jostens to make the rings for them?....this is what DCI does I imagine?....just an idea! 8-)
Thanks Felixh, That's more of my spending range. Jostens! I will pass this along. By the way,I remember someone saying they saw a BD championship ring on E-bay. Did you ever hear that story?

Ben
Ben, I have seen DCI Championship rings on Ebay a couple of times. I just can't imagine why they would want to sell it unless they were strapped for cash. :shock:
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

felixh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by felixh » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:48 pm

SCVBaritone wrote:

Ben
Wow Ben,....you know it really blows me away when I here of someone doing something so sad like sell a championship ring....the sentimental value....unless you are really strapped for cash as Malibu stated, I do not understand why someone would do this....it was bad enough losing mine, ...I would never sell it..... :lol: but maybe the one on ebay was the one I lost....nah! 8-)
Felix Hernandez
Baritone/Euphonium
1977-78 Anaheim Kingsmen
1979 Blue Devils - DCI Champions

Ballsy Hornline Coming To A Stadium Near You in 2006!

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:51 pm

Ben, here are some websites you can check out prices. I'm sure there are more;

http://www.jostens.com/

http://www.balfour.com/

http://www.herff-jones.com/

http://www.lapelpins.com/rings.html
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

SCVBaritone
Soloist
Soloist

Post by SCVBaritone » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:46 am

I'm sitting here at my laptop thinking of all those kids over the years and now that made the top 10 in DCI and VFW or AL championhips all that effort and sweat all those midnight run bus rides to the next town with hardly any sleep to get up practice and to the stadium and repeat the whole process over again maybe more than a dozen times during a brief season. It's mind boggling, not to mention all those family and alumni volunteers in the background there to help ease the way for the kids. For all this, it would be nice if DCI would provided a memento besides a first place ring and provide a 2nd,3rd and 4th place like the Olympics and a top ten memento for the remaining 6 corps. Because all that hard work is nothing short of a olympian effort. As for the VFW ring, I at least now have a contact at the VFW in Mr Cale and I will forward the ideas put suggested here today. Thanks Malibu,felixh and Blurae1 for your input.

Ben
1969,70 SCV Contra
1971 SCV Baritone
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008

Terri1957
All Star
All Star

Post by Terri1957 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Malibu wrote: Ben, I have seen DCI Championship rings on Ebay a couple of times. I just can't imagine why they would want to sell it unless they were strapped for cash. :shock:
I can't believe anyone would sell that either. I still have my Guardsmen jacket in the foyer closet will all my patches on it and my medals are in my jewelry box(along with my Mark Prior rookie card, maybe I don't need that anymore :lol: )

Anyway, we were only 11th and 12th place when I was there but we worked plenty hard for that little bit of hardware and I can't imagine selling any of it.

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

Post by Blurae1 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Terri, I really understand. I wish I had even a picture of being in the Bleu Raeders. If anyone wanted to verify membership, there are still sources out there. In my case Larry Coste, Moe Latour, Marty Hurley. They are all out there. I'm sure it's true for other corps as well. I would gladly pay for any memento from those years. We only got to 12th in DCI. But hey, if I got a pin from 12th in the world & had to pay $50.00 for it, so be it..........Bill

bumba_58
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bumba_58 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:15 pm

SCVBaritone wrote: ... it would be nice if DCI would provided a memento besides a first place ring and provide a 2nd,3rd and 4th place like the Olympics and a top ten memento for the remaining 6 corps.

Ben
I believe DCI had provided both batches and pins to all finalists. I remember having the patches laying around and once making an earring out of the pin, which turned ugly since it was so heavy it tore through my ear lope. I don't have a clue where these are now.

The DC I marched with gave out five and ten year rings. I lost my five year ring during tour. There was only two members who had received a ten year ring, which was putting a diamond into the five year ring.

SCVBaritone
Soloist
Soloist

Post by SCVBaritone » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:41 am

It happens. Early this year I believe a former Vanguard member lost his or hers corps jacket and it ended up on e-bay. I quess as people get older their views may change about drum corps or their life styles change and they look in the closet and think....I bet I can get a few bucks for this jacket or somthing like that. I still have my original vanguard jacket from the fall of 1968 and does it fit? You should see my new one. It has everything. Thanks for all the suggestions on the VFW ring keep them coming and maybe I can work out a agreement with the VFW.Any Ideas on the style or what should be put on the ring would be appreciated. I see a simple ring that states VFW CHAMPS or VFW CHAMPIONS 1964 or what ever year, with a stone of choice but first the list of people wanting rings.

Ben
1969,70 SCV Contra
1971 SCV Baritone
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008