Madison Reunion Project

Discuss Senior and Alumni Corps events, news and other activities

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Madison Reunion Project

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:36 pm

To paraphrase Young Frankenstein, for your intellectual and philisophical enjoyment. This was after six full corps rehearsals:

http://fastlanecpu.com/reunion/media/SunPrairieShow.wmv
Jim Anello

LAMystreaux
All Star
All Star

Post by LAMystreaux » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:14 pm

Jim. . .thanks for sharing.

That is awesome!

Old school drum corps at its best. :D :D :D
Just because your hate is masked by "free thinking" or being "open-minded" does not make it right.

Resume Hut
All Star
All Star

Post by Resume Hut » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:36 pm

It was 31 years ago today
Sergeant Pepper taught the corps to play...

I also like the other corps lining up behind them for finale. Another blast from the past.

That show oughta light up ol' Camp Randall. Are the Scouts Alumni going to get to go early, or last?

What's with that almost-modern pit, though?? Bring back the marching timps and fog-cutting glockenspiel.
"These are the roots of rhythm and the roots of rhythm remain"-- Paul Simon

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:01 pm

They're on last on Friday night.

Interesting you bring up the pit. I know there's at least one late 1950s vintage alumnus playing in it. Giving the guys who can't march anymore an option is a good thing.

I don't want to call this a criticism - more an observation - but this seems to me more a look at the Madison Scouts of 1974 through, say, 1990, with one exception. They actually played Malaguena in 1965, but it obviously wasn't as supercharged as the arrangement.

I understand that tough decisions had to be made. Imagine the choices to bring the story of a corps with such a rich history to the field under 18 minutes or so. But, there was a lot of good music played by that corps pre-1974 that could have been touched upon. Nothing from Scouts in Toyland, nothing from 1965-66. Ritual Fire Dance, St. Louis Blues, Finlandia - there was a lot of good music there. Again, I DO understand, though. Choices had to be made.
Jim Anello

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Resume Hut wrote:It was 31 years ago today

I also like the other corps lining up behind them for finale. Another blast from the past.

Actually, those are bands from a summer circuit.

What I think is gonna be REALLY cool is the exhibition on August 9th. I can't remember which high school is located at - I think it's either at Memorial or at LaFollette High Schools. At any rate, it's $10 a pop to see Jubal, the 2006 Scouts and the Reunion Corps. They're laying out a special reserved section in the center of the stands to the 2006 Scouts can watch the alumni and vice versa. I expect that the evening will end with the combined membership and any other alumni gathering on the field to sing Never Walk.

I'm planning on bringing lots of kleenex.
Jim Anello

jimschehr52
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks Jim

Post by jimschehr52 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:59 am

:clap2: It was enjoyable.

Terri1957
All Star
All Star

Post by Terri1957 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 am

I liked how they had all the "uniforms" come out during "Remembrance"

Cool idea.

OT: I remember how much I can't stand that field at Sun Prairie with the baseball field behind you. Weird.

Ramagar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ramagar » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:28 pm

That was sweet. Talk about being able to move the stands back a few feet. I think I know why they picked that music because I "believe" the majority of them marched late 70's 80-90's.

Jeff2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jeff2 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:22 am

Jim Anello wrote:
Resume Hut wrote:It was 31 years ago today

Actually, those are bands from a summer circuit.

What I think is gonna be REALLY cool is the exhibition on August 9th. I can't remember which high school is located at - I think it's either at Memorial or at LaFollette High Schools. At any rate, it's $10 a pop to see Jubal, the 2006 Scouts and the Reunion Corps. They're laying out a special reserved section in the center of the stands to the 2006 Scouts can watch the alumni and vice versa. I expect that the evening will end with the combined membership and any other alumni gathering on the field to sing Never Walk.

I'm planning on bringing lots of kleenex.

The August 9th performance will be at Mansfield Stadium at Memorial High School in Madison. The stands hold around $5000. Doors open at 7 pm, show to begin at 8. Capital Sound, Jubal, Madison Scouts and the Madison Scouts Alumni Project Corps are to perform. We will then have all active members and alumni on the field to sing "Never Walk" together on the field. Tickets at the door $10 a piece or $20 per family, first there, first in. Should be a good time.

The Sun Prairie Show went well. The Sunday afternoon run through was much better than the Saturday Night Show so I can't wait for Semi Finals.

For me it was an awsome night. My daughter was marching in Oregon's band that night and they tied for first. It was their band circut's championship that night. Though not planned, I was able to march on the same field within a half hour as her. Pretty emotional, her beginning will be one of my last performances. The crowd was great as well.

This may be considered old time drum corps, but I will tell you every effort is being made to have a program that is well performed, well marched and entertaining, to the best of a bunch of old men's (some young as well) abilities in a short period of time. It has been an experience I will never forget. The brotherhood of the Madison Corps is incredible and is beyond words.

Jeff
Madison '78-80, Alumni Project 2006
MYNWA

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 pm

I'll be there with bell on, Jeff. I'll be working the Scouts' food program Monday through Thursday.
Jim Anello

Jeff2
Rookie
Rookie

Scouts Reunion

Post by Jeff2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:06 am

Jim

Make sure you say hi. Dr. Don H. will be there as well, he can point me out. Don has "adjusted" a few of our backs and shoulders already. Amazing what can be done to deal with sore joints in a few minutes.

Jeff Q
[/quote]