Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kingsmen Alumni Corps active all year
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:56 pm 
Director
Director

I when to a rehearsal last Saturday for the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. They were getting ready to march in Anaheim's Halloween Parade and Saturday night. They had over 180 members rehearsing including over 70 brass, 30 percussion and a whole boat load of color guard members. Their drum line really looking good already and the horn line is really improving their sound quality. The guard has that real intense "Kingsmen" look in their eyes while practicing. So I think they are for real!!!!! There will be something very special next August at the Rose Bowl.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Dave. The bumpy field was a little difficult but the parade was much easier/smoother, for me anyway. Dunno if you saw us at the parade. Was tiring but well worth the crowd response. We will soon be getting our cadet uniforms and the real deal will once again be out on the field. This is not only for us in the KAC, but the new junior "Kingsmen Starcorps" too, will be getting underway for next year also. We hope to excite and spark the kids to build this new corps into a new DCI Champion and to bring back the title once again to SoCal. I am indeed proud to be associated with all the wonderful talented folks who have come out of the woodwork and have flown in from all over the country to participate in this great venture. All volunteer and alumni run. Nobody is making $$$ off of this.

Phil
KAC Lead Sop/soloist
Staff sop tech

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:36 am 
All Star
All Star

Phillydawg wrote:
Thanks Dave. The bumpy field was a little difficult but the parade was much easier/smoother, for me anyway. Dunno if you saw us at the parade. Was tiring but well worth the crowd response. We will soon be getting our cadet uniforms and the real deal will once again be out on the field. This is not only for us in the KAC, but the new junior "Kingsmen Starcorps" too, will be getting underway for next year also. We hope to excite and spark the kids to build this new corps into a new DCI Champion and to bring back the title once again to SoCal. I am indeed proud to be associated with all the wonderful talented folks who have come out of the woodwork and have flown in from all over the country to participate in this great venture. All volunteer and alumni run. Nobody is making $$$ off of this.

Phil
KAC Lead Sop/soloist
Staff sop tech

Is the Starcorps going to be a 2 or 3 ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Phillydawg wrote:

Phil
KAC Lead Sop/soloist
Staff sop tech

McGyver2U wrote:

DIV 1......we're optimistic about a good turn out like we've had with the KAC. We've had great response from kids who've seen us and now are interested in the Starcorps. Even just recently at the Halloween parade. The Starcorps also will be alumni run and funded.

Last edited by Phillydawg on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:48 am 
All Star
All Star

Phillydawg wrote:
McGyver2U wrote:
Phillydawg wrote:

Phil
KAC Lead Sop/soloist
Staff sop tech

DIV 1......we're optimistic about a good turn out like we've had with the KAC. We've had great response from kids who've seen us and now are interested in the Starcorps. Even just recently at the Halloween parade. The Starcorps also will be alumni run and funded.

Not sure If I'm right with this, but even if you had 135 kids and the best horn line of all time, I think you have to spend a year in D2 first before you can go to D1. DCI might allow you in, but seeing how the schedules for tour were started last month in Chicago, I don't see them going D1 the first season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:27 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

McGyver2U wrote:
Phillydawg wrote:
McGyver2U wrote:
Phillydawg wrote:

Phil
KAC Lead Sop/soloist
Staff sop tech

Not sure If I'm right with this, but even if you had 135 kids and the best horn line of all time, I think you have to spend a year in D2 first before you can go to D1. DCI might allow you in, but seeing how the schedules for tour were started last month in Chicago, I don't see them going D1 the first season.

Hey, you probabaly ARE right. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is not a "fly by night" venture, nor is it a "let's do Div.III and see what happens",etc. There is a ton of support behind the scenes with this and the board has been in place since last year.

Also a couple goals are to: 1) Try and bring the "drum & bugle" back into drumcorps with mixing some of the new stuff with the old skool. 2) Achieving this AND bringing the title back to SoCal once again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:23 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

When will the Kingsmen Star Corps begin accepting applications? Will there be auditions as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The Rattlesnake wrote:
When will the Kingsmen Star Corps begin accepting applications? Will there be auditions as well?

I've heard it's like in October after DCI? Not sure...but I think that's right. Right now concentration has been on the alumni corps. :D I'm pertty sure there's auditions but not sure on how that's being carried out. When I was in the AK we had no "auditions" per say. Just showed up and played.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

"When I was in the AK we had no "auditions" per say. Just showed up and played."

Phil: would you agree that "auditions" were informal and ongoing? If you couldn't meet the Kingsmen standards - your butt was cut....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

GuyW wrote:
"When I was in the AK we had no "auditions" per say. Just showed up and played."

Phil: would you agree that "auditions" were informal and ongoing? If you couldn't meet the Kingsmen standards - your butt was cut....

Mokay.......just in my year I never saw anybody "cut" tho. Albeit there were a few that couldn't committ to the schedule.

Also there were no tour fees. The bingo game took care of all that, however in my year we paid a "food" fee, which the unused portion was returned to us. Ok, not saying nowadays tour is free or anything either, just back in the day they relied a lot on the bingo game to foot the bills.

I am now informed that after this month's board meeting they'll know better on a "date", for auditions next year, and to "stayed tuned",heh. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:12 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Phillydawg wrote:
GuyW wrote:

Mokay.......just in my year I never saw anybody "cut" tho. Albeit there were a few that couldn't committ to the schedule.

Also there were no tour fees. The bingo game took care of all that, however in my year we paid a "food" fee, which the unused portion was returned to us. Ok, not saying nowadays tour is free or anything either, just back in the day they relied a lot on the bingo game to foot the bills.

I am now informed that after this month's board meeting they'll know better on a "date", for auditions next year, and to "stayed tuned",heh. :D
Do you have any idea about how much the up front cost will be to join the Starcorps? Application fee? Uniform? Etc.?

Will it be located in Aanaheim or somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The Rattlesnake wrote:
Do you have any idea about how much the up front cost will be to join the Starcorps? Application fee? Uniform? Etc.?

I have no idea to be honest. You might go to www.kingsmenstarcorps.org and maybe sign up for any newsletters they're sending out. Dunno if the costs have been figured yet tho.

The Rattlesnake wrote:
Will it be located in Aanaheim or somewhere else?

So far I think it's been out of Torrance. Be on the look out then for the open house when it's announced. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:05 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Thank you for the info and good luck with the Kingsmen Alumni. I will be at the Rose Bowl to see your performance. I look forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The Rattlesnake wrote:
Thank you for the info and good luck with the Kingsmen Alumni. I will be at the Rose Bowl to see your performance. I look forward to it.

Thanks and you'll be welcome to the Starcorps if you're Junior corps age. As for the Rose Bowl....I'll need an oxygen tank and maybe a de-fibulator,haha. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Kingsmen to Perform at the Anaheim NAMM Convention
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:58 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Kingsmen Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps will be performing at the Anaheim Convention Center at 9:30 Saturday morning on January 20, 2007 at the NAMM show.

I believe the performance will be outside near the lobby area, and anyone can attend.

Come on out and watch the Kingsmen perform.