The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OK, who saw the Kingsmen Alumni Corps exhibition?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:42 pm 
Director
Director

I want to know if any of you had a chance toview all of us old timers marching on Friday night?

Great article and slide show in the OC Register...
http://www.ocregister.com/news/corps-kingsmen-years-1805925-force-life

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:59 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Dave,

I'm sorry I missed it but I'm sure your feet are still not hitting the ground. I did get to see it on the webcast and will say that you guys alone were worth the price.

I would love to by a DVD of the show, please let us know if it becomes availble to buy.

O.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:47 pm 
All Star
All Star

I was there Dave. Keep in mind that I had not yet been exposed to drum corps when Kingsmen were in their prime. Still, the sense of nostalgia hit me right between the eyes. The beautiful uniforms, the shear size of the corps, the kick-ass rifles (I mean that quite literally as I am sure any one of those chicks could kick my behind...tough as nails they were.) I was sitting with some kids from Oregon Crusaders. They were incredulous at the spectacle. One kid kept telling the others how this is where modern drum corps came from. They were amazed at the sound, the power, the uniformity of the rifle work, the size of the drum line, and on and on.

By far the best crowd reaction of the night, bar none.

It was as if the poor quality video that exists today had been brought to life for a brief moment, with all the color, energy, and life restored. I feel bad for anyone who could have been there but chose to leave (most did stay). Without fear of the hyperbole police, I can state that this was the drum corps equivalent of seeing Lombardi's Packers or the '27 Yankees play a game.

I swear I heard a voice saying "If you build it, they will come..."

Dam, what you guys did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:32 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Dave, I watched you guys live through the DCI Pod-cast. I thought you guys rocked! The soloist was on fire and I'm sure he quickly gained some respect from the crowd.
I wished I could have seen A. Kingsmen in their hay-day. I do remember seeing them in '78 & '82-'86, but not the early years when they were at their prime. I remember hearing stories from LancerFi how Kingsmen's guard members would go to the restroom and stand at parade rest until they got an open stall. :shock: When they came out, they would go back to parade rest until all members were done, then come to attention and march out! She said they were definitely the corps to envy back in those days. Their rifle line is what inspired 27th Lancers guard to become one of the greatest guards ever.
Which side of the field were you on?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Kingsmen were awesome!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:01 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I was there, Dave. Sorry I didn't realize you were a part of this project. Where has my brain been. Being on the DCI Event Staff, part of my assignment allowed me to be in the tunnel with the corps before they entered the field. I sure would have enjoyed meeting you.

A few notes from my perspective:

I must say right from the start, the entire Kingsmen organization showed the class and dignity they were always known for. I had personal contact with a number of the members as they were awaiting the performance. Great people! Foremost in my mind was the discipline displayed by the guard. 'Game faces' were definitely on as they marched into the tunnel. It was like stepping back in time about thirty five years to when I was competing against them!

As the corps marched into the tunnel I realized I was on the wrong side of the corps from where I needed to be. It was too far to walk all the way around the long line. So, knowing the protocol, when they came to a halt I approached the horn players near me and asked permission to cross their line. At first they barely looked at me, then a couple guys smiled, thanked me for asking to cross first, then kindly parted to allow me through. I think the guard members would have wanted to kick my butt if I had approached them!

Now the humorous moment....While the corps waited, everybody relaxed a bit and I had the chance to chat with a few members. At one point I stepped back and said "You know, that is about the most beautiful uniform I have ever seen....with the exception of the one just like it in black and gold." I saw a mixed reaction to my statement. A couple people gave me what appeared to be unkind looks. But one guy knew right away I was referring to my own corps, Blue Rock. When he explained that to the others around him we all had a good laugh! Blue Rock always had a good relationship with the Kingsmen, especially the few days we spent with them during our California tour in 1974. One night the two horn lines got together and played each others music. I bet I can still play Mambo today!

The performance was awesome! The crowd got a real good taste of what made the Kingsmen great. The quality of sound from the hornline was tremendous. The guard was incredible, especially the rifle line! And the drumline showed the crowd why they were always hard to beat. Nice stick work in the snare line!

Another humorous side note. After the show finished, I was down on the side line and heard a well-known brass instructor exclaim to the man next to him, "When was the last time you heard mellophone licks like that!!"

Bravo! A great performance by a great corps. I cannot compliment the Kingsmen organization enough for the great job they did.

Blue Rock
Reading Buccaneers

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:11 pm 
Director
Director

Malibu wrote:
Which side of the field were you on?

I was on the audience's right for most of the show. If you saw when the contras were on the front side line for Mambo, I was the third contra to the right of the 50 (the tall one).

Sorry, DCI had all those below deleted from YouTube...
Deleted by DCI wrote:
Here are some links to video already posted to YouTube as seen from where the Cavaliers were sitting...

Folk Song Opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzjsGCSxM4

George and Johnny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs69h4M9VDU

Tull & part of Mambo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6zarUzqZs

The rest of Mambo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9weawE3o-k

Artistry & SVHTG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgtD7PxXPw

And the rest of the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLMTWSNc4E

The last video gets to me because of how the corps kids screamed for us!

This video is still available on YouTube at this time. It is edited highlights from the performance that someone put together from a home made video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajkBlHVIpic

Last edited by Bandmaster on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

There is another, better quality set of vids on youtube now...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:40 pm 
Director
Director

GuyW wrote:
There is another, better quality set of vids on youtube now...

Sorry, they have already been removed for copyright issues by DCI. But the links above to the bad quality videos are still good, go figure? It seems you are allowed to post crappy video but not high quality video. :hum:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

Strange issue. I remember being in Warhawk stadium, telling a friend" read'em & weep". I had $5 on Anaheim & he had either BS or SCV. I won, or rather Anaheim won................Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:34 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I had the great pleasure marching with Dave...

man it was so much fun... I miss it terribly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 am 
All Star
All Star

Wow...chill bumps. Not an easy task to give me with a blurry You Tube video...but I got 'em. If anyone finds a full show that is pretty clear of this performance, be sure to post it...I'd love to see it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Kingsmen DCI DVDs will be available:

http://www.xkingsmen.com/performances.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Malibu wrote:
Dave, I watched you guys live through the DCI Pod-cast. I thought you guys rocked! The soloist was on fire and I'm sure he quickly gained some respect from the crowd.
I wished I could have seen A. Kingsmen in their hay-day. I do remember seeing them in '78 & '82-'86, but not the early years when they were at their prime.
I'm not sure which of our soloists you were referring to, but you would have seen the trumpet soloist before. That was Phil Norris from the 1978 Kingsmen (seen here with Carl Allison, a Freelancers Alumni, on Baritone):

BTW, You've gotta love a contra line that wears full shakos with plume:

It's a buGle, not a buBble

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

chadwick wrote:
Wow...chill bumps. Not an easy task to give me with a blurry You Tube video...but I got 'em. If anyone finds a full show that is pretty clear of this performance, be sure to post it...I'd love to see it!

Here's our dress rehearsal non-DCI performance in Long Beach on Aug. 8...including our 142 horn warmup on the front sideline...not quite as good as our DCI performance....but it'll have to do until our DVD is released...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... pr=goog-sl

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Kingsmen DCI DVDs ARE available:

http://www.xkingsmen.com/performances.html

Profile E-mail