The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scoreboard as of 8-7-05 (weekend action update)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:54 pm 
All Star
All Star

Here are the top scores thus far this season for the DII/III corps. I've added the date of their high score in parentheses. Note: Several corps have already finished their seasons, while the final two Div III corps had their debuts this past week.

Division II Corps
93.400 East Coast Jazz (6-Aug)
93.100 Spartans (6-Aug)
90.450 Teal Sound (7-Aug)
90.200 Fever (6-Aug)
90.200 Impulse (7-Aug)
90.150 Oregon Crusaders (7-Aug)
89.800 Blue Stars (6-Aug)
88.050 Jersey Surf (6-Aug)
87.100 Memphis Sound (7-Aug)
84.250 The Academy (9-Jul) - finished their season
82.100 Blue Devils B (17-Jul) - finished their season
78.750 Vanguard Cadets (17-Jul) - finished their season
62.350 Colt Cadets (29-Jul)

Division III Corps
86.875 Taipei Yuehfu (6-Aug)
84.450 Raiders (6-Aug)
82.575 Yamato (7-Aug)
82.350 Revolution (6-Aug)
80.500 Capital Sound (1-Aug)
79.875 Allegiance Elite (6-Aug)
78.275 Pride of the Lions (6-Aug)
77.050 Dutch Boy (7-Aug)
74.250 Lake Erie Regiment (6-Aug)
73.750 Citations (6-Aug)
71.450 Les Stentors (5-Aug)
70.550 St John's (7-Aug)
70.200 Mystikal (17-Jul) - finished their season
69.150 Cadets of NYC (7-Aug)
68.800 Spokane Thunder (17-Jul) - finished their season
67.300 Spirit of New Jersey (7-Aug)
64.150 7th Regiment (7-Aug)
62.800 Strangnas (5-Aug) - debut
62.750 Racine Scouts (6-Aug)
59.175 H.Y.P.E. (7-Aug) - debut
55.650 Targets (6-Aug)
50.400 Blue Devils C (17-Jul) - finished their season
50.250 Hawthorne Gold (9-Jul) - finished their season
42.725 Blue Saints (7-Aug)
40.150 Jester (17-Jul) - finished their season

Taipei Yuehfu holds onto the top spot in Div III, while ECJ continues to hang on in Div II. Lots of leap-frogging going on this past week, especially in Div III.

Strangnas and H.Y.P.E. join the fray!! Everyone has debuted now!!

Please - If you get the chance to go to a DII/III show, go show your support for these hard working kids!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Tight competition!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

Div II looks very competitive this year in the 3-7 spots!! 5 corps within 0.65 of each other!! Interestingly enough, Blue Stars beat Fever tonight but both scored less than their previous high scores listed above.

Div III seems to be spreading out a bit. Nevertheless, it will be a great finals week!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:10 am 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

WHOA! ! ! :shock:

Everyone at Pittsfield...
Except Allegiance and Lions...
Had their scores skyrocket... :drop:

While everyone at Manchester...
Except Yamato...
Had their scores take a dump... :flush:

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:29 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, I found that strange, too! :hum:

Just a little drama to lead into the upcoming week!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

GWFrog wrote:
Howdy!

WHOA! ! ! :shock:

Everyone at Pittsfield...
Except Allegiance and Lions...
Had their scores skyrocket... :drop:

While everyone at Manchester...
Except Yamato...
Had their scores take a dump... :flush:

'Til later... 8-)

The Judging in 2/3 is insane this season, I thought last year was bad, but this year is ridiculas. The sad part is, the kids are getting hurt.

Post subject: Not sure I follow ya
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:15 pm 
All Star
All Star

SOMF69 wrote:
The Judging in 2/3 is insane this season, I thought last year was bad, but this year is ridiculas. The sad part is, the kids are getting hurt.

I'm not sure how the "kids are getting hurt" by "insane" judging. If you mean "variable from show to show, panel to panel" I'll allow that it's been a little wild this season, but I still don't see the "hurting kids" part of it all. In the end (aka Championship Week) they will ALL be judged EQUALLY by a judges panel (whatever set that is) during prelims. They ALL get their chance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

Keep it up Teal Sound!! I'm pulling for you guys and gals to shake things up at the top of Div II!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jazz

Here's my point. After being at over 12 , 2/3 shows this year and talking with many directors and staff members and then going over recaps, my main issue is with the inconsistant level of judging. To see a corps score a 18.00 one night and then a 16 the next night in the same caption and to see the corps do a better job the next night, that is where my issues are. The kids are out there busting thier butts, the staff is out there encouraging them and telling them, HEY The judges loved ya tonight and them having to go back and them something different the next day, that is what I mean by hurting them.

Cap Sound is just getting torn down, they have been in a free fall the last week it's not deserving. Yamato has been UP and then down and then level out a little, Cadets of NYC have 4 members in the guard, they lost a bunch of kids a month ago, I think they had more drummers than horns a one point on the field amd they jumped like 10 points in a week. Raiders have been making a steady climb every night, the most consistant I think out of everyone and WHAM they take almost a 3 point drop in one night. The amazing part is they listen to Division 1 judges telling them that they are doing a great job and then you have "tour" judges that come in a tear down what they have done in the first 3/4 of the season.

People often wonder why the 2/3's feel like DCI dosen't care about them, well, this is one of the points. Get a little better with the direction the judges are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

Again, SOMF, when you're right, you're right.
Hey, throw enough poop at the wall, and some of it will stick. :wink:

Inconsistent, unreliable scoring-- in the sense that the same performance can draw sharply different scores from two different judges-- has long been the bane of drum corps, and I can't argue that this is more of a problem with Div II/III than Div I in recent years.

If DCI isn't going to get better, the only fix is that staffs have to communicate to corps members: Forget the scores. The scores, in the long run, take care of themselves. WE know whether or not we were better tonight than the night before, and that's ALL that counts. Whether or not corps members really buy into that, I can't say. Logic says, TheirMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:42 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

SOMF69 wrote:
The kids are out there busting thier butts, the staff is out there encouraging them and telling them, HEY The judges loved ya tonight and them having to go back and them something different the next day, that is what I mean by hurting them.

The amazing part is they listen to Division 1 judges telling them that they are doing a great job and then you have "tour" judges that come in a tear down what they have done in the first 3/4 of the season.

Maybe this should go in my stupid questions thread: Are there different judges for D1 and D2/3 or just different sheets?

Also, I understand your point about fluctuating scores, but I'm not sure I understand your point about fluctuating commentary. When I grade papers, I praise some things and criticize some things because my goal is to help the student move up to the next increment. I don't critize everything bad or praise everything good. If the paper is an A-, I might criticize something that was done at a B level as something that that student is clearly capable of doing better. On the other hand, I might praise that same B level passage in a C paper as an example of how to rework the rest of the paper. In the same way, the judges might praise something early in the season and tear it apart later on. Early on, it might be something small, and other things might be higher priorities. Late in the season, that small thing might really stick out.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding your point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

SOMF69 wrote:
Here's my point. After being at over 12 , 2/3 shows this year and talking with many directors and staff members and then going over recaps, my main issue is with the inconsistant level of judging. To see a corps score a 18.00 one night and then a 16 the next night in the same caption and to see the corps do a better job the next night, that is where my issues are. The kids are out there busting thier butts, the staff is out there encouraging them and telling them, HEY The judges loved ya tonight and them having to go back and them something different the next day, that is what I mean by hurting them.

Okay, that's what I thought you meant (re: highly variable judging). I forget that the kids in Div II/III are quite young and perhaps more easily hurt by adults' comments. I really hope that the staffs are applying RH's sentiment:
Resume Hut wrote:
staffs have to communicate to corps members: Forget the scores. The scores, in the long run, take care of themselves. WE know whether or not we were better tonight than the night before, and that's ALL that counts.

Drum corps helps build character for life. Thick skins come in very handy in the working world!! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

Resume Hut wrote:
Again, SOMF, when you're right, you're right.
Hey, throw enough poop at the wall, and some of it will stick. :wink:

Inconsistent, unreliable scoring-- in the sense that the same performance can draw sharply different scores from two different judges-- has long been the bane of drum corps, and I can't argue that this is more of a problem with Div II/III than Div I in recent years.

If DCI isn't going to get better, the only fix is that staffs have to communicate to corps members: Forget the scores. The scores, in the long run, take care of themselves. WE know whether or not we were better tonight than the night before, and that's ALL that counts. Whether or not corps members really buy into that, I can't say. Logic says, TheirMMV.

RH, thanks, My passion is for the 2/3's is like never before. I know a lot of people have a hard time understanding my logic at times, myself included and a harder time believing my financial support to a few of the 2/3's, but I'll say this. This past season, I decided to stop donations to Open Class Corps. EVERY year I have tickets for finals, this being since about 1983. I go most times, other times I have not gone, but check this out. Tomorrow morning, I Fly over to Providence and I'm in Brockton by noon, Thursday I'll be in Brockton, Friday, I'll be at Semi's, but this is the amazaing part, I'm considering selling my Saturday Night Tickets to Finals. I might just go to the Grande Finals on Saturday Afternoon and then Take Mrs SOMF over to Hyannis Port or Martha's Vineyard for the rest of the weekend to see some friends. I attended 6 Open Class shows and 12, 2/3 shows. I'm just not buying the narration during the open class corps and it makes it hard to enjoy. Some will say I'm just a crusty old timer, well, if 41 is old, well so be it.

Well...I hope to see some of you guys up in Boston, where are we meeting again?