REALITY ON DIVISION "II"

Discuss topics unique to Open Class Drum Corps

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Post Reply
warren
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:22 am

REALITY ON DIVISION "II"

Post by warren » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:18 am

If this were the late 70's or early 80's, these Division II corps would easily be in open class. They're that good....and they would be the corps fighting for the 16-25th place spots. The top 5 d-II corps are far better (and bigger) than the bottom D-I corps. i think DCI should allow ii--iii corps to again compete in open class and bring back the top 25. The corps quality has gotton that good in the last few years.

Kingpin
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:58 am
Location: Gainesville, Georgia
Contact:

Re: REALITY ON DIVISION "II"

Post by Kingpin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:56 pm

warren wrote:If this were the late 70's or early 80's, these Division II corps would easily be in open class. They're that good....and they would be the corps fighting for the 16-25th place spots. The top 5 d-II corps are far better (and bigger) than the bottom D-I corps. i think DCI should allow ii--iii corps to again compete in open class and bring back the top 25. The corps quality has gotton that good in the last few years.
Or you can follow DCI's rationale and become a Regional D1 corps. Then you can comepete with the big boys all you want.
Emerald Knights
Cedar Rapids, IA
Baritone 87-88
Contra Bass 89

User avatar
Dan Kelly
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 2:46 am
Location: MA

Post by Dan Kelly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:59 pm

There could be the possibility that some of the DII corps don't want to move up. Not everyone can afford the DI schedule/expenses, etc. Some of those kids might have to work during the Summer and go on a shorter tour.

DCA has loads of under 22 year olds who, for whatever reasons, don't go out for DCI Corps. They can handle the weekend only gig with their more important schedule.
Dan Kelly
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

User avatar
GWFrog
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:14 am
Location: Neverland (aka Wisconsin)
Contact:

Post by GWFrog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:48 pm

Howdy!

The corps competing in Division II Championships...
Could definitely compete equitably...
With the lower quarter of the Division I corps... :)

Back in the '70's & '80's...
They could have advanced...
From Division II into Division I prelims...
And by being among the Top 25...
Been promoted to Division I status... :cheers:
Which a number of corps back then did...
With disastrous results... :cry:
In that they were not prepared...
For the financial demands...
Of a Division I tour... :shock:

However...
We are not now...
Back in the '70's & '80's... :wink:
And circumstances are different...
Especially with DCI now allowing...
Corps to compete as "Regional Division I Corps"...
A niche so far occupied...
Only by Pacific Crest and Esperanza...

In the near future...
(Two or three years...)
I can foresee...
Fever, Oregon Crusaders, and probably Academy...
Moving into that sub-class... :hum:
Impulse seems more to be...
In a "if it happens, it happens" mode...

Blue Stars have stated unequivicably...
Their intent to move back into Division I...
And I see a possible "Regional" tag...
As only a temporary expediency...
With full Division I status...
Being their preferred future place... :viking:

I believe that Jersey Surf has always...
Held the intent to be Division I...
And can see them as the East's first "Regional"...
Or maybe that'll be East Coast Jazz...
Which was a Division I corps back before the name change... :wink:

I sense that Teal Sound...
Would love to move up... :bow:
But, so far, has been numerically challenged...
Failing to attract sufficient members...
To make Division II in '05...
And failing to maintain them in '05... :oops:
If they get the numbers (90+?)...
Division I seems likely...
As long as they meet the criteria...
That DCI now expects to be met... :read:
I think Memphis Sound...
Is either in the same boat as Teal Sound...
Or in the same mode as Impulse...

That leaves the three time Division II Champion Spartans... :king: :king: :king:
I think the "Regional" designation...
Was set up with the Spartans in mind...
And I recall that there was some presure...
For them to move up a few years back...
But...
The Spartans are happy where they are... :)
Happy doing what they do... :D
And they seem to have no desire...
To do anything but what they are doing...
Could it be that they want...
To win more Division II title than the Ventures did? ? ? :shock:

But what do I know? ? ?
I'm just a fan of the game... :wav:


'Til later... 8-)
GWFrog 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

User avatar
abalone
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:01 am
Location: the delta

Post by abalone » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:09 pm

GWFrog wrote:Howdy!


Especially with DCI now allowing...
Corps to compete as "Regional Division I Corps"...
A niche so far occupied...
Only by Pacific Crest and Esperanza...

In the near future...
(Two or three years...)
I can foresee...
Fever, Oregon Crusaders, and probably Academy...
Moving into that sub-class... :hum:
Impulse seems more to be...
In a "if it happens, it happens" mode...


It's interesting that these are all western corps. I think that one of the things that the rest of the country forgets is how far away California/Oregon/Washington/Arizona are. When people castigate Pacific Crest for not showing up at every DCI event, they seem to think that Pacific Crest's touring expenses should be the same as everyone else's. That simply is not correct. You have to spend an additional two days on the bus just to get to the Midwest. And, presumably, they also have to drive those busses back west eventually. (Oh, and two extra days of rehearsal time might also come in handy.) You know, this makes the BD and SCV runs of excellence even more impressive.

In a lot of ways, a western circuit might make a lot of sense, perhaps more so than even the midwestern circuit did. I'd love to see a late season show with the 2009 versions of Fever, OC, Academy, Impulse, Esperanza, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Cascades, SCV, and Blue Devils.
"Sounds like a bunch 'abalone' to me." --Brian T.

User avatar
Dan Kelly
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 2:46 am
Location: MA

Post by Dan Kelly » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:06 am

Back in 2000, the SCV Cadets, won DII and finished 17th at semis, ahead of a couple of DI corps.
Dan Kelly
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

User avatar
soprano020304
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Post by soprano020304 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:31 pm

2002, Magic made finals
every year when a Div II corps would compete in div I quarters, they would never be ranked last.
Jose
soprano/trumpet 02 03 04 hopefully 07

User avatar
GWFrog
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:14 am
Location: Neverland (aka Wisconsin)
Contact:

Post by GWFrog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:09 pm

Howdy!
soprano020304 wrote:2002, Magic made finals
Magic '02 was Division II...
By DCI's Rules requirement...
Not by choice... :wink:
They were really a Division I corps...
Competing in Division II... :roll:

GWFrog wrote:Or maybe that'll be East Coast Jazz...
Which was a Division I corps back before the name change... :wink:
The latest rumor has it... :lurk:
That East Coast Jazz has already applied to DCI...
For permission to move to Division I in '06...
Possibly as a regional Division I corps...
A la Pacific Crest and Esperanza... :hum:


'Til later... 8-)
GWFrog 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

User avatar
Mcgyver2u
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2065
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:33 pm

Post by Mcgyver2u » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Dan Kelly wrote:There could be the possibility that some of the DII corps don't want to move up. Not everyone can afford the DI schedule/expenses, etc. Some of those kids might have to work during the Summer and go on a shorter tour.

DCA has loads of under 22 year olds who, for whatever reasons, don't go out for DCI Corps. They can handle the weekend only gig with their more important schedule.
Dan Kelly
You hit the nail right on the head with that.

It's a fact that a good number of D2 corps don't want to go D1.
The only thing they would benefit from would maybe be recruiting.

As far as the DCA kids, my money is on the BEER!!!

User avatar
Mcgyver2u
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2065
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:33 pm

Post by Mcgyver2u » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:00 pm

GWFrog wrote:Howdy!

The corps competing in Division II Championships...
Could definitely compete equitably...
With the lower quarter of the Division I corps... :)

Back in the '70's & '80's...
They could have advanced...
From Division II into Division I prelims...
And by being among the Top 25...
Been promoted to Division I status... :cheers:
Which a number of corps back then did...
With disastrous results... :cry:
In that they were not prepared...
For the financial demands...
Of a Division I tour... :shock:

However...
We are not now...
Back in the '70's & '80's... :wink:
And circumstances are different...
Especially with DCI now allowing...
Corps to compete as "Regional Division I Corps"...
A niche so far occupied...
Only by Pacific Crest and Esperanza...

In the near future...
(Two or three years...)
I can foresee...
Fever, Oregon Crusaders, and probably Academy...
Moving into that sub-class... :hum:
Impulse seems more to be...
In a "if it happens, it happens" mode...

Blue Stars have stated unequivicably...
Their intent to move back into Division I...
And I see a possible "Regional" tag...
As only a temporary expediency...
With full Division I status...
Being their preferred future place... :viking:

I believe that Jersey Surf has always...
Held the intent to be Division I...
And can see them as the East's first "Regional"...
Or maybe that'll be East Coast Jazz...
Which was a Division I corps back before the name change... :wink:

I sense that Teal Sound...
Would love to move up... :bow:
But, so far, has been numerically challenged...
Failing to attract sufficient members...
To make Division II in '05...
And failing to maintain them in '05... :oops:
If they get the numbers (90+?)...
Division I seems likely...
As long as they meet the criteria...
That DCI now expects to be met... :read:
I think Memphis Sound...
Is either in the same boat as Teal Sound...
Or in the same mode as Impulse...

That leaves the three time Division II Champion Spartans... :king: :king: :king:
I think the "Regional" designation...
Was set up with the Spartans in mind...
And I recall that there was some presure...
For them to move up a few years back...
But...
The Spartans are happy where they are... :)
Happy doing what they do... :D
And they seem to have no desire...
To do anything but what they are doing...
Could it be that they want...
To win more Division II title than the Ventures did? ? ? :shock:

But what do I know? ? ?
I'm just a fan of the game... :wav:


'Til later... 8-)
Froggy...

It so nice to see someone following the 2/3's like you do.


My enjoyment of the 2/3's run deep too and I just don't see the east coast corps jumping to D1. Maybe the Regional thing, but still, I don;t see it. The Spartans have had the chance to jump up, but the continue to stay where they are. Unless ECJ has a huge winter recruit, I can't see that either. Surf, I don't know, they had 63 brass and a full corps and could only muster 8th place in D2 this year. Teal had problems and tried to jump down to d3 and I'll tell ya, I'm glad they stay in d2, they did a hell of a job. Implulse looks like your fun corps of the future and Fever was HOT, HOT, HOT!

The Blue Star name needs to be back in open class, I wish them great success.

I think the d 2/3 division was one of the most entertaining and well performed divisions in a long time for them.

I think if you took all of these corps out, and pushed them up, you would break apart a great part of the activity.

User avatar
chadwick
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by chadwick » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:37 am

What date is the decision made by DCI to allow a Div. II/Div. III corps to move up into a higher Div?

Has anyone heard anything from any Div III corps wanting to move to Div II next year?

User avatar
GWFrog
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:14 am
Location: Neverland (aka Wisconsin)
Contact:

Post by GWFrog » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:29 pm

Howdy!

The move to Division I...
Is now made only after...
DCI does a full evaluation of a corps' viability...
(Organization, finances, fund raising, boosters, etc, etc...)
And approves the move... :)(:
Don't know if there is a date...
For this decision to be made...
Although the earlier would seem to be the better...
For determining show assignments...
And stuff like that... :wink:

Under the 2005 Rule change... :read:
Division II or III assignment...
Is no longer strictly a matter of size...
Before, if a corps had no more than 60 marching members...
They were automatically in Division III...
With corps having more than 60 going to Division II...
Cut and dried... :wink:
Now, if they have 70 or fewer...
It's still automatically Division III...
And if 80 or more, Division II...
But, if the numbers are between 70 & 80...
They must declare their division by a certain date... :wav:

Teal Sound ran into a bit of a problem with this...
When the parents of half a dozen guard members...
Decided that their daughters...
Were not up to the rigors of a full tour... :cry:
And pulled them from the corps in mid-season... :drop:
Causing the corps to fall below the 70 member limit... :duck:
DCI briefly dropped the corps from II to III...
Before granting them a waiver...
To continue to compete in Division II...
Where their score of 91.650...
(Which would have won Division III by a wide margin... :shock: )
Took fifth place at Finals...


'Til later... 8-)
GWFrog 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Post Reply