The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who is the div.II champion this year?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:19 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I am so confused about D.C.I.'s way of doing things now. I clearly saw a gold medal from thursday's finals and it said div.II champions. Then you see another corp receiving a trophy on saturday saying that they are Div. II champions. What the #### is going on? I think that they need to take a good look at things and fix this problem before next season! :hum:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:05 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The div 2 winners were the East Coast Spartans from Nashua, MA. :?

Just kidding!!

DCI announced the East Coast Jazz as Div 2 champions at the Finals retreat on Saturday night.

http://www.valleyairs.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:09 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

At Div I finals Saturday night ECJ was announced as Div II World Champions, Spartans were also announced as Div II Gold Medalist. Only The World champs are recognized on the field and take part in full retreat.

Having seen the gold medal, they read 'Div II Divisional Champion', as does the patch the Spartans received.

Congrats to both corps, it was a great season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:22 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

OK now I'm confused... was it a tie? Two DivII champs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:00 am 
All Star
All Star

CaptnContra wrote:
OK now I'm confused... was it a tie? Two DivII champs?

Spartans - 2005 DCI Division 2 Champions
ECJ - 2005 DCI Grand Finals WORLD Champions

Raiders - 2005 DCI DIvision3 Champions & Division 3 Grand Finals World Champions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:22 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

OK, now thats lame... I guess its like winning sweepstakes at a H.S. show? So what it really means in a non-idiotic way is that ECJ placed first and Spartans placed second. More and more like a BOA show...

I'm sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:49 am 
Veteran
Veteran

CaptnContra wrote:
OK, now thats lame... I guess its like winning sweepstakes at a H.S. show? So what it really means in a non-idiotic way is that ECJ placed first and Spartans placed second. More and more like a BOA show...

I'm sad.

I totally agree with everyone on this. I believe the true champions are East Coast Jazz!

:wink: :lol: 8-)

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject: both are good
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

either way neither corps is as good as when I marched spartans in 95,96,97. but back then both corps got the shaft. I'm glad to see the 2 corps finally getting respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The good news is, that in 2006 this will not be a problem. The Grand Finals were an extra show to combine the top Div II/III corps into one show and to add revenue.

But when a corps wins the Div II title and a different corps wins the Grand Finals, confusion abounds.

No more grand finals. No more confusion in 2006. But, you have to give it to both the corps in 2005!

Jim

Owner of iBowTie Online Brass Store

ALL BRASS BAND streaming radio:
http://www.live365.com/stations/docfox?play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:58 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

IT'll be different.

It'll be an old fashion prelims/semis/finals format, just like D1. No more division or grand finals :clap2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

bari_benzo wrote:
IT'll be different.

It'll be an old fashion prelims/semis/finals format, just like D1. No more division or grand finals :clap2:

Yep ... and no more "quarter finals". They will use the term "prelims". And the II/III finals will be in the same venue as the Div I. That should provide for a bigger crowd.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:17 am 
All Star
All Star

Is there a different set of rules for div II & III. Looking at the scores , it seems, at least on paper, some II & III corps are better than Div. I corps..............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Blurae1 wrote:
Is there a different set of rules for div II & III. Looking at the scores , it seems, at least on paper, some II & III corps are better than Div. I corps..............Bill

Yes ... as of 2001 (that seems right, but it is off the top of my head) the corps have been scored on different sheets. The criteria not being quite as stringent for the Div II/III corps. Some say it makes about a 10 to 15 point difference.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:17 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

docfox wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

Yes ... as of 2001 (that seems right, but it is off the top of my head) the corps have been scored on different sheets. The criteria not being quite as stringent for the Div II/III corps. Some say it makes about a 10 to 15 point difference.

Jim

Looking at the scores of corps who advanced from DivII/DivIII/A/A-60 to DivI/Open Prelims/Quarterfinals over the years, I think II/III and A/A-60 have had different criteria since at least the mid-80's.

Yes, some DivII/III corps are indeed competitively stronger than some DivI corps. Historically, the best DivII/III corps that would advance to DivI Quarterfinals (top 5 DivII/III corps prior to 2003) would finish in the 15th-17th range. The best finish was Magic of Orlando in 2002 finishing 11th place at DivI finals (and posting the highest DivII score ever a few nights earlier), but arguably they never should've been in DivII in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

vaguardguy wrote:

Looking at the scores of corps who advanced from DivII/DivIII/A/A-60 to DivI/Open Prelims/Quarterfinals over the years, I think II/III and A/A-60 have had different criteria since at least the mid-80's.

Yes, some DivII/III corps are indeed competitively stronger than some DivI corps. Historically, the best DivII/III corps that would advance to DivI Quarterfinals (top 5 DivII/III corps prior to 2003) would finish in the 15th-17th range. The best finish was Magic of Orlando in 2002 finishing 11th place at DivI finals (and posting the highest DivII score ever a few nights earlier), but arguably they never should've been in DivII in the first place.

As a new to Division II mom (last year) I find this discussion interesting and enlightening.

Although I marched many, many year ago and I have followed drum corps as a casual fan since then, I found last year that I know very little really about current divisions, scoring, standings, etc. I am learning as we go along.

Would 2001 be the year after Magic of Orlando had taken a year off for some reason? After that year they went back to Division I status, did they not?

How often does it happen that a Division I corps takes a year off and returns competitively as a Division II corps?

This appears to be something that the Troopers are going through at the moment. As an old Trooper fan I am hoping that they will be able to do everything they need to do to return as a Division I corps for their 50th anniversary. I am digressing ...

So did the changes in the scoring sheets take place after or before the finals in 2001?

Do these changes preclude the corps from the other divisions from ever competing in the quarterfinals?

Thanks in advance for shedding any light in the dark regions of my drum corps mind,

:) Pat