Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am 
All Star
All Star

I've heard, through the grapevine, that when we return, we can come back as Div I. I don't know how accurate that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Kimberly wrote:
I've heard, through the grapevine, that when we return, we can come back as Div I. I don't know how accurate that is.

I do hope in this case that the whispers coming through the grapevine are true.

When my daughter went to finals this year she brought me back a gift that she knew I would love ... a Trooper t-shirt. There's a story that goes with this ... that many years ago I joined a local drum corps after I stayed with some of the Troopers who were hosted by a church group. So when my girl decided on her own last year that she wanted to join a corps, I was fully supportive. I let her know that, therefore, she indirectly owes her own chance to march to the Troopers. She tells me that she repeated this story to her friends when she bought the shirt for me.

Next year in Madison, I will be wearing my Trooper t-shirt with pride.

Best wishes to the Troopers for a long and successful future. May the tradition continue.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion about Division II ...

:wink: Pat

Post subject: Re: both are good
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:23 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

maxsdad wrote:
either way neither corps is as good as when I marched spartans in 95,96,97. but back then both corps got the shaft. I'm glad to see the 2 corps finally getting respect.

Thanks... Love to see that the Alumni support us...

*Sarcasm off*

Post subject: 2002 Magic of Orlando
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:16 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

opensecret wrote:
vaguardguy wrote:

Looking at the scores of corps who advanced from DivII/DivIII/A/A-60 to DivI/Open Prelims/Quarterfinals over the years, I think II/III and A/A-60 have had different criteria since at least the mid-80's.

Yes, some DivII/III corps are indeed competitively stronger than some DivI corps. Historically, the best DivII/III corps that would advance to DivI Quarterfinals (top 5 DivII/III corps prior to 2003) would finish in the 15th-17th range. The best finish was Magic of Orlando in 2002 finishing 11th place at DivI finals (and posting the highest DivII score ever a few nights earlier), but arguably they never should've been in DivII in the first place.

As a new to Division II mom (last year) I find this discussion interesting and enlightening.

Although I marched many, many year ago and I have followed drum corps as a casual fan since then, I found last year that I know very little really about current divisions, scoring, standings, etc. I am learning as we go along.

Would 2001 be the year after Magic of Orlando had taken a year off for some reason? After that year they went back to Division I status, did they not?

How often does it happen that a Division I corps takes a year off and returns competitively as a Division II corps?

This appears to be something that the Troopers are going through at the moment. As an old Trooper fan I am hoping that they will be able to do everything they need to do to return as a Division I corps for their 50th anniversary. I am digressing ...

So did the changes in the scoring sheets take place after or before the finals in 2001?

Do these changes preclude the corps from the other divisions from ever competing in the quarterfinals?

Thanks in advance for shedding any light in the dark regions of my drum corps mind,

:) Pat

Magic of Orlando was indeed inactive in 2000 and 2001. For reasons apparently known only to DCI and Magic's management, they returned to competition in 2002 as a Division 2 corps. The corps had an incredible year.....going undefeated in D2, winning the D2 title with the highest score ever in that division, then three days later becoming the first D2 corps to advance to Division 1 Finals in the same year, placing 11th. Unfortunately, due to rule changes, that was the last year a D2 corps could advance into D1 Quarterfinals without declaring status as a Division 1 corps the following year. So far, I am aware of at least two corps to change divisions in this manner --- Capital Regiment and Esperanza. Both made the change in 2002, Capital Regiment declared full D1 status and Esperanza requested and was granted limited touring status. Both corps are doing reasonably well and still improving.

Just food for thought.....under the current rules, if any former D1 corps that has been inactive for more than two years wanted to re-enter DCI competition, they would likely be required to do so in either D2 or D3, depending on their size. Can you imagine a corps like Star of Indiana, or 27th Lancers, or the Bridgemen in D2?

Blue Rock
Reading Buccaneers

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I would actually have to think twice if I were the Troopers about possibly jumping right back into Div 1. I mean…they haven’t been a full corps in a while, and being competitive in a “lower” division may be good for them. I mean…look at Cascades (for instance). They had been a Division 2 corps forever, and when they decided to drop down to Division 3 in 2000…that is what “jump-started” that corps. After winning Division 3, it was crazy up here. Everyone was talking about a drum corps that no one ever talked about. A Northwest drum corps won something, and it was exciting. SO, when they went to Division 2 the next year, the corps was bigger and stronger than they had ever been. They did very well in 2001, and then decided to go Division 1 at the right time. There was so much talk of the Cascades then. A lot of people wanted to march up here. They had a HUGE return rate in 2002, and they filled up the corps. The rest was history there.

SO, maybe what Troopers need to do is go to Division 2 when they come back, and be very competitive, and interest will be drawn in there. I don’t know…just a thought. Couldn’t hurt to think about it at least. I think Pioneer and Kiwanis (if they come back) need to do the same thing. It’s hard to fill up a drum corps when you’re at the bottom of Division 1 every year. Kids would be more inclined to march a competitive Division 2 corps thing. We are already seeing that up here in the Northwest…caugh caugh